Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Someone is going to get hurt b/c of wanna-be-wikipedia playing Internet DOCTORS!

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:48 AM
  • 131 Replies
4 moms liked this

This is an issue that truly concerns me, and I've run into it all over the place online (including a local online/meet up group) ... 

I keep seeing posts of people telling others to ditch their doctor and not to listen to their doctor. For example, women that have been offered induction or c-sections and another common one: a newborn isn't gaining weight and labeled failure to thrive. Again ,these are just examples. In our local group a mom had a child with a 104 degree fever and someone brought up an herbal something or another tincture without knowing definitively why the child has a fever in the first place. Does anyone stop to think it could be meningitis? or something serious that elderberry syrup won't touch? 

Where do people get off? They do not see the other person's medical chart, know their history, etc... And it scares me people are playing around with sick babies and children. I have a sick feeling kids are going to and do get hurt as a result. What happens to the mom that refuses a C-section b/c the ladies in her birthing group online told her to refuse - and the baby is stillborn?? What position does this put doctors in? Going to the doctor isn't the same as ordering a hamburger ... you can't always have it your ideal way. Real doctors did more than a google search, and read a couple links on Kellymom. And who are these ladies that listen to this stuff and put everything at risk to people they don't know? Crap the person giving advice may not have a high school education and was a D student. They could be talking out of their behinds. 

I'm ranting but it just freaks me out when I see it. Locally a friend of mine had a baby with croup and was attacked by the group for giving her child the steroid shot and subsequent medications. I saw it go down and just was sick with it (happened on a facebook group) .... 

SOOOO..... do you give serious medical advice online (not talking about teething, simple snotty noses, etc...)? What makes you feel comfortable to do that not knowing the person's medical history?

Am I the only one concerned with this? 

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Due9
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:51 AM

You have a good point. 

opal10161973
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:52 AM
4 moms liked this

That's BS, I'm a nurse and I often tell people to just go see a DR.  I do use a lot of other threatments for things that have been proven, but there are a lot of things you don't mess around with and you do need to go to the Dr for. 

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:54 AM
I give basic advice to friends and family if asked but I'm not a doctor so my advice usually ends with "but I'd call your doctor to be sure"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucky2785
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:04 AM
See it on cafemom daily. Recently the one about the woman who is 39 weeks and the doctor wants to talk about inducing. It could be because he wants an in and out labor....or it could be because in his expierence and doing a pelvic exam his guess is her birth canal is to narrow.

Should we blindly follow our doctors....hell no. But take in consideration other people's experience, plus educating yourself, plus what your doctor suggests, plus consequences and make a decision. Good and bad an come out of induction vs not inducing....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
masonmomma
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:10 AM
Who cares. If someone looking for advice chooses to follow the advice of some anonymous person on the internet then oh well. A lot of the time, the person is more looking for personal experience, they know they are not going to get some real internet doctor. Should we just not give our personal experiences?? This has got to be the most ridiculous cm argument in a while.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommajen32
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Quoting lucky2785:

See it on cafemom daily. Recently the one about the woman who is 39 weeks and the doctor wants to talk about inducing. It could be because he wants an in and out labor....or it could be because in his expierence and doing a pelvic exam his guess is her birth canal is to narrow.

Should we blindly follow our doctors....hell no. But take in consideration other people's experience, plus educating yourself, plus what your doctor suggests, plus consequences and make a decision. Good and bad an come out of induction vs not inducing....

It is daily.and not just CM. I weighed in with this point on the post you are talking about but I do the same on all the ones I see. It's crazy. 

Our local crunchy mom group has a fb group (and a face-to-face) ... and I've seen some really dangerous advice given ranging from kids with asthma attacks to babies needing hospitalization. I'm all about exploring what unadulterated herbs have to offer but someone is going to get seriously hurt. 

Mommyfish831
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Because some people unfortunately don't have people IRL to ask so they come here.  

My personal opinion is that home remedies are good, because I don't believe you should medicate for everything.  For my kids when it gets to 102 thats when things get serious.  Get it down or go to doc, also go when a mild temp last up to 3 days.  

Research online is not bad but don't let that be the end all, you have to listen to reason as well.  I would think a 104 temp would be common sense but I guess not.  

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:19 AM
4 moms liked this

I'm not a doctor...but I play one online!

mommajen32
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:21 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting masonmomma:

Who cares. If someone looking for advice chooses to follow the advice of some anonymous person on the internet then oh well. A lot of the time, the person is more looking for personal experience, they know they are not going to get some real internet doctor. Should we just not give our personal experiences?? This has got to be the most ridiculous cm argument in a while.

I care. Kids and babies are going to get hurt and that bothers me. It's still human interaction, I've seen first hand with our local group some take the advice to heart. 

Internet doctor is just a phrase, meaning people that are playing doctor. 

mommajen32
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Quoting Goodwoman614:

I'm not a doctor...but I play one online!

Do you feel responsibility when you give advice?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)