Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Say Goodbye to Pharmaceutical Companies?

Posted by   + Show Post

I watched a lecture today by a chemist who said that some day soon(no, he didn't say when, LOL), people will be able to PRINT their own medications.   No, not the LABEL for the drugs, the drugs themselves!

A person would purchase some software, 'inks' and create his own medication.   Would purchase the molecular formula for the medication, and then proceed to 'print' his own medication.

Kind of interesting.

One thing he left out, was what financial incentive would there be to do all the research and development, and get thru the federal drug approval process, if the pharm companies weren't selling the actual medication.   I suppose some profit could be made selling the software, the molecular formula for the medication, the 'inks', and so on, but actually all the molecular formulas for all medication are public domain - so it would be a matter of selling the inks, the software.

Weird future.

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Replies (11-20):
lga1965
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:16 AM

How do you take a "printed medication" ? Eat the paper it's printed on?

Crazy.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Amazing that just just a few blinks ago we were dying from simple infections....

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, I'm not feeling this one. Too many variables. 

lancet98
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:12 AM

You haven't read about 3-d printers, then, though calling them a 'printer' is misleading.  

They actually create 3-d objects.   With such a machine, you feed in a blueprint, and it creates a 3-d object - such as a Return of the Jedi action figure or a spoon.  

The chemist said that such machines can be programmed to create molecules.  

Molecules are what just about everything is made of.  

Molecules are made up of only a hundred twenty or so elements that exist on the earth.    Most molecules are made up of only a few elements.

It is the arrangement of these elements and how they are bound together to each other, that determines what type of medication they create. 

As an example, water consists of oxygen and hydrogen, two elements.   It is easy to create water by putting oxygen and hydrogen together in the correct way.

What the speaker said, is that it's very easy to make a machine that you provide elements and a computer program.  Given the computer program and the material (elements) it makes the molecules you want.

There are fears that people could make guns and other weapons, using current 3-d printers.   Most of today's 3-d printers make things out of plastic, but guns have indeed been made of plastic. 

There are also hopes, that 3-d printer type of machines, could make useful things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnChn7vtWHU

Quoting lga1965:

Crazy.

lancet98
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I don't know what you mean.

There isn't any real doubt that 3-d printing can be expanded to do more than it is doing today,  it can be used in future to make more things than Return of the Jedi action figures.   It does bring up some rather troubling questions about patents and manufacturing rights and protection of intellectual property....but so do videos, and downloading music.

Quoting dawnie1:

Yeah, I'm not feeling this one. Too many variables. 

lga1965
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Interesting. No,I haven't heard about 3D printers. But the chemistry details I am quite familiar with. I'm not sure this would be a good idea. . There will always be people who look for ways to profit....this wouldn't be any different and people would misdiagnose and make errors like crazy.

Quoting lancet98:

You haven't read about 3-d printers, then, though calling them a 'printer' is misleading.  

They actually create 3-d objects.   With such a machine, you feed in a blueprint, and it creates a 3-d object - such as a Return of the Jedi action figure or a spoon.  

The chemist said that such machines can be programmed to create molecules.  

Molecules are what just about everything is made of.  

Molecules are made up of only a hundred twenty or so elements that exist on the earth.    Most molecules are made up of only a few elements.

It is the arrangement of these elements and how they are bound together to each other, that determines what type of medication they create. 

As an example, water consists of oxygen and hydrogen, two elements.   It is easy to create water by putting oxygen and hydrogen together in the correct way.

What the speaker said, is that it's very easy to make a machine that you provide elements and a computer program.  Given the computer program and the material (elements) it makes the molecules you want.

There are fears that people could make guns and other weapons, using current 3-d printers.   Most of today's 3-d printers make things out of plastic, but guns have indeed been made of plastic. 

There are also hopes, that 3-d printer type of machines, could make useful things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnChn7vtWHU

Quoting lga1965:

Crazy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Sometimes achievements in technology are just BAD ideas...imo

lancet98
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Sometimes people are compelled to use technology in self-serving ways.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Sometimes achievements in technology are just BAD ideas...imo

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:51 AM

hmm

momof2cuteboys
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Last week they replicated an ear using a 3 D printer.  I'll have to find the link.  It is just amazing to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN