Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Say Goodbye to Pharmaceutical Companies?

Posted by   + Show Post

I watched a lecture today by a chemist who said that some day soon(no, he didn't say when, LOL), people will be able to PRINT their own medications.   No, not the LABEL for the drugs, the drugs themselves!

A person would purchase some software, 'inks' and create his own medication.   Would purchase the molecular formula for the medication, and then proceed to 'print' his own medication.

Kind of interesting.

One thing he left out, was what financial incentive would there be to do all the research and development, and get thru the federal drug approval process, if the pharm companies weren't selling the actual medication.   I suppose some profit could be made selling the software, the molecular formula for the medication, the 'inks', and so on, but actually all the molecular formulas for all medication are public domain - so it would be a matter of selling the inks, the software.

Weird future.

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Replies (31-33):
erika9009
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I'm hoping those short dresses and leather boots stay as a prediction.  I wore a star trek outfit in college.  I sure got some great looks from "the boys".  I was engaged at the time, but it's nice to get  a look.  If I wore it now, I'd be a cougar for sure. 

Quoting LindaClement:

Mmm... replicators.

Star Trek was right about so many things...

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Yeah, I've heard about this.  There is big money in it for pharmaceutical companies, should the technology work and take off. 

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I don't think a single over-40 ever wore it in ST :D

Imagine having to wear Troi's outfit!

Quoting erika9009:

I'm hoping those short dresses and leather boots stay as a prediction.  I wore a star trek outfit in college.  I sure got some great looks from "the boys".  I was engaged at the time, but it's nice to get  a look.  If I wore it now, I'd be a cougar for sure. 

Quoting LindaClement:

Mmm... replicators.

Star Trek was right about so many things...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)