Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What do you make of the criticisms of Kate Middleton?

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:00 PM
  • 18 Replies

Latest Kate Middleton Attacks Show We Learned Nothing From Princess Diana

Posted by Jeanne Sager on February 25, 2013 

Kate MiddletonYou may have heard that author Hilary Mantel has come out with guns blazing for Kate Middleton. But the more people come out to defend the Duchess of Cambridge, the more we realize this has shades of Princess Diana all over it. The double Man Booker prize winner stood up in a lecture at the British Museum last week on royal bodies and compared Prince William's bride to a hunk of plastic.

Dubbed a "venomous attack" by one British newspaper, the description of Middleton as "a jointed doll on which certain rags are hung" was at best hyper critical. At worst? Mantel's decision to rip apart the pregnant princess in public as a means to support her theory that it's time to bid the monarchy goodbye was dehumanizing. As dehumanizing as the attacks on the duchess' mother-in-law all those years ago.

Mantel said of the Duchess:

Kate Middleton, as she was, appeared to have been designed by a committee and built by craftsmen, with a perfect plastic smile and the spindles of her limbs hand-turned and gloss-varnished.

Remember, this is a real person she's talking about. A woman who was born of human parents, who grew up eating food and breathing air. Kate Middleton is a woman who puts her pants on the same way the rest of us do.

And unlike a craftsmen-built doll, she has real feelings, feelings that were no doubt hurt by being dubbed a doll, by being accused of serving no purpose on this planet other than to give birth.

Mantel can argue that she was only criticizing the monarchy -- as many of her supporters have said -- but the fact is, she named names. She stepped away from an attack on a group and took on a person.

Kate Middleton is not a symbol of a group. She's a person, and like her mother-in-law before her, her foray into the public spotlight cannot erase the 20-some odd years she existed on the planet beforehand.

During Princess Diana's life, the monarchy and Britons both spent much of their time trying to turn her into something she wasn't. They tried to mold her as if she was a doll rather than a human being, and the result was a tumultuous time for the late Princess of Wales who battled depression and an eating disorder as she tried to meet the impossible demands being put on her by both sides.

Mantel may have meant to make a point about the wrong of what has been done to the likes of Princess Diana with her criticisms of the monarchy. Instead she did pretty much what she is mad at the monarch for doing ...

What do you make of the criticisms of Kate Middleton? Haven't we learned from what Princess Diana went through?

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Eh, it's stupid.  I'm sure KM just brushed it off, although I can see how it could be hurtful.

If you want to attack the monarchy, attack the monarchy, not an individual.

Some people are so stupid.

lga1965
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:20 PM
2 moms liked this
That Mantel woman is extremely cruel. I bet she's an ugly,fat pig and very jealous, with no heart. I'd like to slap her if I could !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sherry132
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

It's our fault (the public) that the paparazzi and others spend so much time trashing the famous. If we didn't subscribe to all of this, they wouldn't have anyone to listen, and would stop attacking.  

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:33 PM

what an idiot..

kaylamom2004
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Some people have to bitch. It's how they make their money.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:46 PM

That was cruel.  If she wanted to criticize and attack the monarchy, then so be it, but she singled out Kate and that isn't fair to her. 

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I think that all the people who get into this are making a petty-minded bid for the spotlight... they are angry because it's not them and will do anything to get into even the shadow of this poised young woman.

lancet98
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:02 PM

What do I make of criticism of Kate Middleton?

What I make of it is people are idiots.

jllcali
by Jane on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this
This Mantel person sounds like a nasty bitch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jlo1313
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Meh, first Kate knew she would be subject to harsh criticism and I'm sure its hurtful no matter what but at some point you grow up and know actions like these speak volumes of the person behind the comments and not the person the comments are about. Second, if people stopped subscribing to paparazzi items, suddenly we would see decline in people like Mantel spewing hatred.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN