Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you fear GMO crops, wouldn't you WANT GMO developers to patent and keep rein on their genetic product?

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:50 PM
  • 132 Replies

And shouldn't you be angry with farmers who try to get away with saving seed from these crops and then being able to sell them as their own and not as a mixed hybrid crop of the GMO developer's and your own crop?

And are farmers FORCED to buy genetically engineered seeds in the first place? NO

Anyone know how far corn pollen travels before it is not viable?  Anyone know of any factors that can cause acres and acres of crop to be "tainted" as it were with "undesireable" GMO crop? It doesn't just happen.

Jurors get a lesson in genetics in the court cases everyone fusses about where "poor little guy farmer" gets his ass whooped by "big mean gene developing companies".  And that is why guilty is always the verdict. 

The cure for anything is saltwater.

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eema.gray
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:53 PM
11 moms liked this

Corn pollen has been known to float for 10 miles or more.

Quite a number of farmers have been driven out of business because they have no desire to use GMO seed, do not buy GMO seed, but have crops test positive for GMO "seed" because of pollen drift, and have been taken to court by Monsanto.  The court costs have run these farmers into the ground.  It is a much bigger issue than most people realize because very few of the cases actually make it into regional or national news cycles.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:56 PM
4 moms liked this

I'd rather the GMOs be labeled so I know if genetically modified food is in a product.  Then,  I could decide whether I want to feed it to my family or not instead of being in the dark. 

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:58 PM
6 moms liked this

Exactly.  Pollen just doesn't stay within a 5 foot radius of a plant. 

Monsanto is a disgusting organization. 

Quoting eema.gray:

Quite a number of farmers have been driven out of business because they have no desire to use GMO seed, do not buy GMO seed, but have crops test positive for GMO "seed" because of pollen drift, and have been taken to court by Monsanto.  The court costs have run these farmers into the ground.  It is a much bigger issue than most people realize because very few of the cases actually make it into regional or national news cycles.

GLWerth
by Gina on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:59 PM
8 moms liked this

GMO seed is fine, but if Farmer A plants GMO seed, his neighbor, Farmer B should not be forced to court by Farmer A's seed distributor (Monsanto usually) if his crop is contaminated by pollen from A's fields.

Oh, and if it's so safe and wonderful, then label it in food and drink we consume.

eema.gray
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this

And OP, pollen is not like a bacteria.  No matter how far it travels on wind or by any other means, it is still viable when it lands on an appropriate, receptive plant.  In theory, this means that pollen can travel hundreds of miles, though with the ebbs, flows, and downdrafts winds are subjected to, not entirely likely.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:00 PM
5 moms liked this

Handle the criminals as they arise.  Everyone knows that silence means the farmer is using Frankenseed.  The good farmers advertise no gmos, no dangerous pesticides, etc. 

Yes, farmers are forced to buy seed from the evil ones, because only about five big companies, like Monsanto and Dow, have bought up almost all other other seed companies.  Farmers will be sued if GMO seed lands in their field because the freaking wind blows (!!), so most just pay the Mob and buy their seed to begin with, because fighting those lawsuits is impractical.  Monsanto (aka -satan) is not only patenting all the GMO seeds, but also patenting regular crop seeds (patenting LIFE) and no one is doing anything about it.  Someday, there will be no seeds that one can buy to grow food without getting sued by the reich. 

coronado25
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Corn pollen is very heavy and not viable for long after being released from the plant.  If you look in Pubmed, or NCBI there are plenty of studies and reviews over the last 50 years on the viability and dispersal of different strains of corn pollen and other large crop pollens. 

There are specific distances and timing for flowering regulations that are to be upheld between any lands in a particular proximity that are planted with different strains (gmo OR otherwise) of the same crop.

Those not following such restrictions are not farming responsibly and have only themselves or their neighbors to blame for any detectable level of an undesirable strain of a crop amongst their own.

Quoting eema.gray:

The cure for anything is saltwater.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:14 PM
3 moms liked this

As for free market support, I would rather have the food labeled. It seems Monsanto wants to cheat the free market by keeping the information of what foods contain the GMO seeds hidden from the consumer. If it is so safe for consumption, then why does Monsanto pour millions of dollars into fighting bills that would require GMO food to be labeled?

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:15 PM
5 moms liked this

OP, do you have any personal connections with the agri-business?

JacksMom1221
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:17 PM
I despise Monsanto and GMO's. I wish they were required to label it, and by products, so that I could avoid that poison all together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured