Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there ABORTion Options counseling?

Posted by   + Show Post

This has been bothering me for some time. I know that there are state laws which regulate and require options counseling for parents considering ADOPTion.There are also state laws and regualtions that mandate when and how soon parents can voluntarily terminate their parental rights. In fact, biological fathers are required to sign as well- as long as they are known.

But when it comes to ABORTion? And I am NOT speaking about those "Pregnancy Centers" run and organized by the pro-life/anti-abortion sect.

I mean to say, in those clinics / hospitals / faciltiies where ABORTions are performed, are there counslors on hand, free of charge, who provide options counseling providing alternatives to abortion?

1- In this options counseling, are the women (and men too) counseled as to their rights, their options and what the emotional toll(s) abortion may and can have on them after the fact?

2- Are alternatives to abortion provided and reviewed including parenting the child,

placing the child in foster care,

placing the child with a trusted family member or friend,

day care and public assitance options,

or adoption?

while indicating that abortion is only one option?

and one of last resort when all other options have been fully explored, considered and rejected?    

and they have to wait a certain period of time to consider their options before they can have an abortion?

and there must be a certain number of options sessions prior to giving consent to abortion? (or sign a release waiving their right to counseling?)

and the biological father is encouarged and required  (if he is known) to particpate and also give consent to the abortion process?

That all attempts to locate the biological father are completed, including obtaining an attorney to conduct a legal search so that the father can give consent?

Lastly, are women and men counseled not just about the medical "procedure" but the emotional cost(s) of aborton?

I ask this all because when it comes to adoption, all of this must occur PRIOR to taking a voluntary termination of parental rights? 

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Replies (31-40):
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:03 PM
No. Other places besides PP perform abortions (although they are becoming fewer as the US becomes more of a Christian theocracy) & PP provides many services besides abortion.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

I am not facing an unplanned/unexpected pregnancy. I am seeking others thoughts, ideas, opinions and experiences.  

BTW: does only planned parenthood provide abortions/counseling?

Quoting Citygirlk:

Call planned parent hood they will be glad to answer your questions.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting GoddessNDaRuff:

No the father does not have to consent the woman is not his property and it's HER body.
Yes they provide counseling and then you have to wait 24 hours before an abortion. In fact some places have mandated speeches.

And the only alternative to pregnancy is not being pregnant. Those other options are parenting options. You still have to go through the pregnancy. If a woman does not wish to do that then parenting options are a moot point, don't ya think?

Yes. I agree. I am trying however to tease out the nuances of abortion. When a woman is unexpectantly pregnant aka crisis pregnancy/unplanned pregnnacy, ect....sometimes the first thinking is abortion. If a woman takes the step further and visits her doctor/clinic in which abortuions are performed, I am looking to discover what information she is given.

The OP indictaes a list of what the woman (and man) faces when considering adoption . 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cubanmom84
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Yes, yes they do. They set you up in a room and calmly explain the consequences and they ask you many questions. And they see your mind set at the moment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Quoting Bookwormy:

Per the SCOTUS its a privacy issue between a woman & her physician, since it's her body. If it were his body, women would have no rights. It isn't men's fault & it isn't bashing. It's biology & the law.

Quoting SandyLaxner:

Quoting LauraKW:

A father has no rights concerning abortion.

Sad.  Way to bash men.

I think that it is bashing men.  Biology also tells us he has contributed his sperm in order to make this baby.  Whether they are a couple anymore or not,he has given his 1/2 towards a human life.  i would not agree to go to extraordinary lengths to find bio dad.  But I think it is just morally wrong not to tell the dad that you are having an abortion.  Who am i kidding trying to inject morals into this conversation. 

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:09 PM
2 moms liked this
More like "Way to state the law".

Quoting SandyLaxner:

Quoting LauraKW:

Sad.  Way to bash men.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:11 PM
I'm sorry. I accept that is not what you would want if that kind of counseling were available or required but you actually seem to care about the female making the decision.

Even if the best of intentions put rules like this in place, I have zero doubt that the counseling sessions and waiting periods would become more hurdles to jump and mountains to climb in hopes of bullying a woman into changing her mind about abortion or by instituting a system that effectively reduces the amount of time a woman has to make her decision, ie needing two weeks of counseling sessions before allowed to make appointment and then waiting a day to get the ultrasound and another couple of days to wait for the abortion itself. That could knock almost a month off of the time a woman would be able to legally make her decisions and carry them out. I'm also sure it would do more to make the costs prohibitive for any but the wealthiest.

Once again, sorry that wasn't your intention but it just seems too easy to abuse (by the govt) to require from women already in a stressful position.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

If that is what you think this OP is about- you are mistaken. Completely. Mistaken. The Op lists what is involved in adoption. I wish to know what is involved in the option of abortion. I do not know the details to that option (aside from the obvious). And since this has not been a personal experience of mine, I am asking. I am hoping that the women and mothers here are respectful. ( HOPE but understand how nasty it can get too). 

You see in adoption, a mother and father must be fully informed of all options. These options sessions must be carefully documented. I am simply wondering, again, what the process is for abortion. The other option to parenting. 

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Skins like someone wants to ensure that too much time passes for someone to receive an early and safe abortion by placing mountains of paperwork and invasive questions in between paying for the abortion and receiving it.
Some of those things already exist. I would never support prohibiting an abortion (or even delaying it) so the biological father could be found, given several non consecutive counseling sessions, given a high pressure speech on the evils of abortion, and then allowed to sign a piece of paper giving permission for another human being to have an abortion

celestegood
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:11 PM
She is in no way bashing men. Its just how it is. Mother nature set it up like that.

Quoting SandyLaxner:

Quoting LauraKW:

Sad.  Way to bash men.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Quoting frogbender:

Quoting SandyLaxner:

Quoting LauraKW:

Sad.  Way to bash men.

She's not bashing men. She's stating a simple fact. Way to be oversensitive.

"I'm sensitive and I'd like to stay that way"----Jewel

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Quoting Lurion:

This was years ago, but when I was single and pregnant, Planned Parenthood gave me a very thorough questionnaire--psychological, asked about religious beliefs, etc. They suggested counseling before making any decisions. 

I felt their counselor was very fair, unbaised, no hidden agendas or opinions as to what I should do. She gave me all kinds of good information on all the options--abortion, adoption and parenting. I believe I went to 2 or 3 sessions before making my decision. 

It seems to me that you may have a bias toward thinking that women who have abortions are often plagued by their decision afterward? Honestly, I know an awful lot of women who had abortions and only one who really regretted it. 

This is the same for me.

coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with you. I think adoption is harder because you know your child is out there somewhere...could be your neighbor (if it's a closed adoption). My friend is adopted and for awhile really struggled with knowing that any stranger she saw could be her parents. And she had a great relationship with her adoptive parents (still does). It was sad to watch.

Quoting LindaClement:

I think this speaks to the emotional blast-zone of adoption, which few people even know about much less acknowledge.

It's not 'easier' than abortion. It's far, far more complicated.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SandyLaxner:

Quoting frogbender:

Quoting SandyLaxner:

Quoting LauraKW:

Sad.  Way to bash men.

She's not bashing men. She's stating a simple fact. Way to be oversensitive.

"I'm sensitive and I'd like to stay that way"----Jewel

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured