Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Is there ABORTion Options counseling?

Posted by   + Show Post

This has been bothering me for some time. I know that there are state laws which regulate and require options counseling for parents considering ADOPTion.There are also state laws and regualtions that mandate when and how soon parents can voluntarily terminate their parental rights. In fact, biological fathers are required to sign as well- as long as they are known.

But when it comes to ABORTion? And I am NOT speaking about those "Pregnancy Centers" run and organized by the pro-life/anti-abortion sect.

I mean to say, in those clinics / hospitals / faciltiies where ABORTions are performed, are there counslors on hand, free of charge, who provide options counseling providing alternatives to abortion?

1- In this options counseling, are the women (and men too) counseled as to their rights, their options and what the emotional toll(s) abortion may and can have on them after the fact?

2- Are alternatives to abortion provided and reviewed including parenting the child,

placing the child in foster care,

placing the child with a trusted family member or friend,

day care and public assitance options,

or adoption?

while indicating that abortion is only one option?

and one of last resort when all other options have been fully explored, considered and rejected?    

and they have to wait a certain period of time to consider their options before they can have an abortion?

and there must be a certain number of options sessions prior to giving consent to abortion? (or sign a release waiving their right to counseling?)

and the biological father is encouarged and required  (if he is known) to particpate and also give consent to the abortion process?

That all attempts to locate the biological father are completed, including obtaining an attorney to conduct a legal search so that the father can give consent?

Lastly, are women and men counseled not just about the medical "procedure" but the emotional cost(s) of aborton?

I ask this all because when it comes to adoption, all of this must occur PRIOR to taking a voluntary termination of parental rights? 

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Replies (41-50):
meriana
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

{mouth hanging open}

Wait a minute: you are saying that she went to a planned parenthood center and they offered no assistance, no options, nothing to consider other than a "Abortions "R Us"  walk in, walk out "business" ? 

Would you mind sharing, what happened? Did your dd end up having the abortion?   

Quoting meriana:

As far as abortion, I believe it would all have to do with whatever laws, etc. are in place in the state one is in as well as the clinic or whatever one goes to and the people working at same.  One of my dd's was pregnant at, I think she was 17, nearly 18 and married. (she's now in her 30's).  They didn't have much money so she went to a local pp clinic to see if they could recommend a dr she could go to that they might be able to afford. She was never given any information about any physicians, clinics for low income people; she was never told about any "options" or given any other helpful information. What she was told was that she should have an abortion along with reasons why she should have an abortion. When she finally realized that was all the "counselor" or whatever position the person had, was going to suggest and talk to her about, she got up and left. If she had gone to a hospital clinic, known where to find a low income clinic or gone to a different pp clinic, she likely wouldn't have ended up with some "professional" trying to convince her getting an abortion was what she should do.

Yep, the only thing she was offered was an abortion, no information about anything else even though she plainly stated what she wanted was information on a dr for low income people. No she didn't get an abortion, as I said, she walked out on the lady and never went to another pp clinic. That baby is now an 18 yr old with a full-time job making a bit over $10.00 an hour. She did have a nurse at the dr. she went to talk to her about relinguishing for adoption even though the woman KNEW she was married. Apparently the lady knew someone who wanted to adopt. Dd just told her there was no way she was giving up her baby. Both instances, however, show that there are those "professionals" who do prey on pregnant young women and are all too willing to try and convince them to follow their "advice".

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:33 PM
3 moms liked this

That's very odd.  I don't know a single woman who has been to PP to discuss an unplanned pregnancy and been pushed towards an abortion.  And I've seen plenty of accounts from women here on CM who state that they received all kinds of help and advice regarding financial aid, PA, prenatal care, etc.

Actually, the only time I've heard a story like this is from someone who is not pro-choice.

Quoting meriana:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

{mouth hanging open}

Wait a minute: you are saying that she went to a planned parenthood center and they offered no assistance, no options, nothing to consider other than a "Abortions "R Us"  walk in, walk out "business" ? 

Quoting meriana:

As far as abortion, I believe it would all have to do with whatever laws, etc. are in place in the state one is in as well as the clinic or whatever one goes to and the people working at same.  One of my dd's was pregnant at, I think she was 17, nearly 18 and married. (she's now in her 30's).  They didn't have much money so she went to a local pp clinic to see if they could recommend a dr she could go to that they might be able to afford. She was never given any information about any physicians, clinics for low income people; she was never told about any "options" or given any other helpful information. What she was told was that she should have an abortion along with reasons why she should have an abortion. When she finally realized that was all the "counselor" or whatever position the person had, was going to suggest and talk to her about, she got up and left. If she had gone to a hospital clinic, known where to find a low income clinic or gone to a different pp clinic, she likely wouldn't have ended up with some "professional" trying to convince her getting an abortion was what she should do.

Yep, the only thing she was offered was an abortion, no information about anything else even though she plainly stated what she wanted was information on a dr for low income people. No she didn't get an abortion, as I said, she walked out on the lady and never went to another pp clinic. That baby is now an 18 yr old with a full-time job making a bit over $10.00 an hour. She did have a nurse at the dr. she went to talk to her about relinguishing for adoption even though the woman KNEW she was married. Apparently the lady knew someone who wanted to adopt. Dd just told her there was no way she was giving up her baby. Both instances, however, show that there are those "professionals" who do prey on pregnant young women and are all too willing to try and convince them to follow their "advice".

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:38 PM
I haven't had one. When sleeping with men I used condoms &/or BCP faithfully. When a condom slipped off once I went to an unknown clinic & got Plan B. If had gotten pregnant, I would have told the man that I was getting an abortion. I think they all knew before sex that I believed in pregnancy prevention at all costs, but if it failed, we would abort.

However, it's not his body, and it is her right to privacy, per the SCOTUS.

Quoting SandyLaxner:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Per the SCOTUS its a privacy issue between a woman & her physician, since it's her body. If it were his body, women would have no rights. It isn't men's fault & it isn't bashing. It's biology & the law.

Quoting SandyLaxner:

Quoting LauraKW:

A father has no rights concerning abortion.

Sad.  Way to bash men.

I think that it is bashing men.  Biology also tells us he has contributed his sperm in order to make this baby.  Whether they are a couple anymore or not,he has given his 1/2 towards a human life.  i would not agree to go to extraordinary lengths to find bio dad.  But I think it is just morally wrong not to tell the dad that you are having an abortion.  Who am i kidding trying to inject morals into this conversation. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
meriana
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

That's very odd.  I don't know a single woman who has been to PP to discuss an unplanned pregnancy and been pushed towards an abortion.  And I've seen plenty of accounts from women here on CM who state that they received all kinds of help and advice regarding financial aid, PA, prenatal care, etc.

Actually, the only time I've heard a story like this is from someone who is not pro-choice.

Quoting meriana:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

{mouth hanging open}

Quoting meriana:

Well I can only relate what my dd and her husband told me about things they experienced. Whether or not anyone believes that things like that can and do happen is completely up to them. As in any situation, what one experiences has a LOT to do with whatever person they end up talking to regarding whatever situation they find themselves in. No matter how "professional" a person is, there are times when their personal ideas/views about the best approach to a situation can somewhat "color" the advice they give as well as the tone of that advice. The fact that a person is a professional anything doesn't mean that their personal views/ideas NEVER affect what they tell or offer to others in the way of advice or help.   

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting meriana:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

{mouth hanging open}

Quoting meriana:

So,she's lying.  Darn non-prochoicers!  Sad that you know so many women who have unwanted pregnancies,go to Planned Parenthood,perhaps they should have made a stop there before having sex.

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:01 PM
2 moms liked this

You seem to enjoy acting the fool online.

I didn't type any of those things.  Sad you troll.

Quoting SandyLaxner:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting meriana:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

{mouth hanging open}

Quoting meriana:

So,she's lying.  Darn non-prochoicers!  Sad that you know so many women who have unwanted pregnancies,go to Planned Parenthood,perhaps they should have made a stop there before having sex.

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, I didn't say I didn't believe it.  It's certainly possible to happen.  It's certainly possible to be misunderstood or misread, or for something to not be properly conveyed.

What I said is basically, that conflicts with commonly known information.

Quoting meriana:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting meriana:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

{mouth hanging open}

Quoting meriana:

Well I can only relate what my dd and her husband told me about things they experienced. Whether or not anyone believes that things like that can and do happen is completely up to them. As in any situation, what one experiences has a LOT to do with whatever person they end up talking to regarding whatever situation they find themselves in. No matter how "professional" a person is, there are times when their personal ideas/views about the best approach to a situation can somewhat "color" the advice they give as well as the tone of that advice. The fact that a person is a professional anything doesn't mean that their personal views/ideas NEVER affect what they tell or offer to others in the way of advice or help.   

meriana
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Oh, I didn't say I didn't believe it.  It's certainly possible to happen.  It's certainly possible to be misunderstood or misread, or for something to not be properly conveyed.

What I said is basically, that conflicts with commonly known information.

Quoting meriana:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting meriana:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

{mouth hanging open}

Quoting meriana:

It may conflict with commonly known information but all I can say, never having been to pp myself, is that dd who is really quite perceptive, willing to give a business or professional person the benefit of the doubt that she may have misunderstood or something and has a pretty high regard for the medical profession in general never went to a pp clinic again, no matter how many recommended them to her due entirely to that experience and has said, if she'd have listened to the person who "helped, counseled" her that day, her son would not be here.

Southernroots
by New Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:08 AM
2 moms liked this

Planned Parenthood is a large national organization, and as such, their offices likely vary somewhat according to location and the people who work there. People who work there may have bias either for adoption or abortion, and that could reflect advice they give.  However, in general, I haven't heard of anyone being coerced into abortion through them.  I visited a local Planned Parenthood office hoping to determine what advice they give someone about adoption.  They told me if someone mentions adoption, they refer her to an adoption agency.  

Planned Parenthood does not claim to offer option counseling.  They do family planning, abortions and refer women elsewhere for other assistance or options. 

What I am discovering is that places for true options counseling are few and far between.  So many of the pregnancy options centers have a pro-life agenda, and often push adoption.  Some pregnancy support centers with pro-life agendas do provide parenting help, but, their main mission is preventing abortions.  

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Yeah...and come on: I can't be the only person here who knows the OP's stance on abortion...nobody else is seeing the *gentle hand* being played here..to lure ppl in to commenting? It smells to me. Besides being yetta nutha post on abortion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN