Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

4 Things Politicians Will Never Understand About Poor People

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:07 PM
  • 18 Replies
1 mom liked this

Excerpt:

Not long ago, Newt Gingrich had his famous "janitor" idea, where he proposed that we pay impoverished students to clean up vomit and strewn feces part time at their schools. It sprung up a lot of debate, which I had little to no interest in beyond this key phrase: "Really poor children in really poor neighborhoods have no habits of working and have nobody around them who works. [...] They have no habit of 'I do this and you give me cash,' unless it's illegal." Not to be out-douched, Mitt Romney's now famous video hit the 'net, showing him calling 47 percent of the country "entitled" and saying that they believe they're victims and they want the government to hand them everything: (Romney video here)

I realize these are both republicans, but that's actually not my point here. This isn't about philosophy, it's about pure numbers: A big ol' chunk of people living below the poverty line actually work. About 10.5 million of them, in fact, or a third of the people living in poverty. Of the households below the poverty line, 84 percent have somebody in the house who is working. So that whole bit about how these kids have no concept of what work is? That's a bunch of, uh, horse pucky. Two-thirds of poor children are in working households.

That's a far mother-frumpled cry from Gingrich's pretty broad statement. It's such a dramatic misunderstanding of what "poor" actually is, and it's dangerous because it paints a grossly inaccurate picture of people laying around their house, watching Family Guy and enjoying their "free money."

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-things-politicians-will-never-understand-about-poor-people/#ixzz2LyUm654q
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this
For the vast majority of my impoverished childhood one of my parents worked. When my parents lived together my father worked. Once my mother & I left him, my mother worked. They were working poor. It was an awful existance.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:17 PM

The whole article is funny, but this part really made me think.  This particular issue is why I think that Republicans need to veer away from the talking points and ridiculous generalizations that paint people as "takers" and "lazy" and whatever other kind of minimizing language they want to put on people.  Especially if they want to get re-elected.

ethans_momma06
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:51 PM

So baisically... according to your post....2/3rds do NOT work. And 16% have NO ONE in the house working, period.

That's not as small as I would have thought.

I'm not sure how I feel about that now.

ethans_momma06
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this

But I will say, that I LOVE cracked.com

They have some freaking hilarious articles.

stormcris
by Christy on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:04 AM
2 moms liked this

96% of this country is entitled and almost all if not all of big corporations are as well. 

I would challenge any one of them to live poor. To understand what it is like to work and not be able to afford what you need much less what you want. To understand what it is like to be over and under, over the poverty level but under actually making enough.

Quite a bit of those 47% are elderly. Many children from poor families work to help the family. However, many children from from middle and upper class families have no idea of what it is to earn money or that money is finite.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Of families with children 75% of them are working families and living in poverty.

Most people living in poverty are children and old people.  They make up the percentage of people in poverty as a total but can't work themselves.

Quoting ethans_momma06:

So baisically... according to your post....2/3rds do NOT work. And 16% have NO ONE in the house working, period.

LetoLiebe
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:02 AM

I love Cracked.com also. My husband reads it every day and shares things with me all the time. Funny and informative. OP, I agree with you on the generalized misconception of people living at or below poverty level being people that don't work. Yes, they are the working poor, and yes the working poor are completely over looked and often caught in a vicious cycle of poverty while working very hard. The non-working poor are considered, the middle class struggles, but survives while working, the wealthy are comfortable and even more depending on the level of wealth and the working class work their asses off and still have serious trouble surviving. Lots of work, barely living. I don't think it is fair to only bring up the statements of a couple Republican politicians though, when, quite honestly, many of the Democratic politicians are also very wealthy and increadibly out of touch. Many have had privileged upbringings, and have no clue what it is to be poor either. They say one thing and do another. I feel their assault on the poor of our country is even worse that that of the two men you mentioned. Why? Because, Newt and Mitt don't pretend to "know what it is like" to be poor. Many of the Democrats  like to fain feelings and understanding for the poor American, wiping away the tears and declaring promises to make it all better, save the poor American from those horrible rich people who take advantage of them and keep everything for them selves, but the whole while, they are lining their pockets pretty well, living more that comfortably off the exuberant salaries and benefits they are given and then stabbing the cause in the back behind closed doors. Let's be honest about that. Nancy Pelosi and Jessie Jackson Jr. are perfect examplesof this. I don't see the difference in some one saying stupid and insensative comments like the ones you mentioned, and some one using tax funded private jets to fly their family around for recreational purposes, or embezzling funds to purchase expensive watches and gifts for him self and his family. In fact I find it worse. I see their attitude as follows:

I feel your pain, you poor people, Give me your support, give me your votes, give me your tax money, I'll tell you what you need to hear to keep me around and with your beliefe and support I will live in wealth, and tell you how you are right that you are that the wealthy the problem, but those other wealthy people, not me, I really do uderstand your pain. 

Most of the people who have any real involvement or influence on Capitol Hill have no idea what it is to really be poor, no matter how they portray them selves. You made a good point though. Good job informing many that most poor people don't just sit aroud idlely collecting welfair. Some, yes....most no.

ethans_momma06
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Any sources for that? I believe you, I'd just like to know a little more about this issue.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Of families with children 75% of them are working families and living in poverty.

Most people living in poverty are children and old people.  They make up the percentage of people in poverty as a total but can't work themselves.

Quoting ethans_momma06:

gludwig2000
by Gina on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I've been saying for years that I belonged to the sub catagory of the poor that the government doesn't care about, because #1, I'm not on welfare so they can't count me as one of the statistics whom counts on them for support, and #2, I can't afford to donate big money to their elections or to pay $10,000.00 a plate dinners to sit in their glorious presence, so as far as they are concerned, myself and people like me are nothing to them. If we don't figure into their agendas in some way, we are invisible.

parentalrights1
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

They think that the ones that do work just havn't had the determination to go farther.

It's bs though. It's true for some, but realistically, some people have circumstances that they can't find the opportunities.

Also, I'm a firm believe in "it's not what you know, it's who you blow". I've seen so many people get farther because of the connections that they had and alot of good, hard workers get the shaft.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)