Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Studies indicate excessive television may increase aggression, anxiety and withdrawal from society in children

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:58 PM
  • 52 Replies

How Many Hours Does the Average Child Watch TV?

by Kristie Sweet, Demand Media

• Children may spend an average of seven hours daily using entertainment media like televisions.

Children may spend an average of seven hours daily using entertainment media like televisions.

Jupiterimages/Creatas/Getty Images

In 1966, television producer Joan Cooney heard someone at a party bemoan the effect television was having on his daughter, who would sit for hours watching the test patterns. That conversation eventually prompted Cooney to develop the children's program "Sesame Street." Years later, parents still worry about the dangers of letting their children watch TV. How much do modern children watch?

Ages

According to Nielsen statistics for 2011, teenagers ages 12 to 17 spend about 100 hours watching television each month. Children between the ages of two and 11 watch even more TV, an average of 109 hours and six minutes each month. Although these numbers may seem high, they do indicate a reduction from the previous year when teens clocked 105 monthly hours and younger children viewed 112 hours and 46 minutes of television each month.

Other Media

When DVD, DVR, video and game console viewing is added to the mix, the numbers clearly rise. A University of Michigan study found children ages six to 11 used televisions for about 28 hours each week for such activities. But preschoolers spend even more time engaged in videos and gaming - 32 hours each week. These numbers indicate elementary-aged children use videos and games for about seven hours each month, while those under six spend about 16 hours during the month on these actions.

Effects

According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, children over the age of two should watch television for only one or two hours per day, about half the current average. Higher amounts of television use can lead to problems concentrating, obesity, eating disorders and sleeping difficulties. Some studies also indicate excessive television may increase aggression, anxiety and withdrawal from society. Children might even mimic behaviors that demonstrate gender and racial bias, or risky activities such as smoking and drinking and promiscuity.

Recommendations

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends parents avoid television entirely for children under the age of two in order to avoid negative impact on the fast-paced brain development during this stage. Parents can cut down the amount of TV for older children by engaging them in other activities such as reading, sports and outdoor play, and by removing televisions from children's bedrooms. Setting aside rooms in the house as television-free zones - or certain times as TV-free periods - can reduce TV's negative effects.

References

About the Author

Kristie Sweet has been writing professionally since 1982, most recently publishing for various websites on topics like health and wellness, and education. She holds a Master of Arts in English from the University of Northern Colorado.

Photo Credits

• Jupiterimages/Creatas/Getty Images
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
delilahsmom1177
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:02 PM

See I can see that but at the same time my brother LOOOOVED TV always and he has a bunch of friends and is very easy going. HOWEVER my DD only watches TV on the weekends. NO TV DURING THE WEEK UNLESS SHE IS SICK.

I'm a tattooed,bisexual,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I am so glad I got rid of television from our house, when my girls were young ... (We did/do have a small TV in my office ... That was/is used for news)

I have said in the past ... The unhappier a person seems to be, you'll find a person that watches too much TV.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Just seems like common sense to me that too much television can lead to a host of issues for any given individual.  

stormcris
by Christy on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Well yea since you need exercise for endorphins and to keep feeling good.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:17 PM

I wish I could toss out the tvs in my house. However, they don't belong to me. Otherwise I'd destroy them. 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:20 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting stormcris:

Well yea since you need exercise for endorphins and to keep feeling good.

Absolutely.

Since I have been living out of a damn hotel room for two weeks plus, I have indeed noticed I feel far worse than normal.......far worse.  Now I make an extra effort to get myself up and moving, doing any thing from walking around the block to walking up and down the stairs.  It's easy to find yourself sitting in front of a television, or on your lap top, and not moving. 

That is, when I am not falling over light boxes and huring my back to the point I can't even go to work.  ALWAYS take a peek where you are going when you are walking backwards.  lol  That is my PSA for the day.

furbabymum
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Well duh. ADHD didn't just pop up. How is a kid supposed to go to school and concentrate when he's been plopped in front of a television with constant stimulation at home. Autism can even be related back to television.

Of course proponents of TV will talk non-stop about how educational and good for their kids it is. Uh huh. I am disgusted at the amount of people buying their kids tablets. Get them a book, it's better for them.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:50 PM
I can't imagine a world without TV or radio. I would be suicidal in days with the constant silence. We don't have cable or anything so the TV is very limited really but I have to have noise around me or I get kinda wacky. Not in a good way.
I can be snowed in and left alone with no phone or car for over a week as long as I have a cat and a radio but wouldn't last a day in a totally silent house.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:05 PM

We all knew this.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:50 PM

There are many negative side effects for rotten brains.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN