Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How does this make sense? Medical bill/Amount written off by hospital.

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:03 PM
  • 14 Replies

Tell me what's wrong with this picture.....  
A final bill for a hospital stay was $14,922.40.
TriCare paid $1,073.71 of that bill.  The subscribers balance to pay is $30.00.
The hospital wrote off $13,818.69.

If these people were private citizens, do you think the hospital would have written off that amount, if any thing?

What about the coverage the insurance covered?  What, only about 1%.

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this
My son was in the NICU for 17 days when he was born. Over 60 grand and tricare paid just over 9. Zero patient responsibility. Benefit of having the government negotiate rates for you.

Now how is this fair. Hospital bills about 14 thousand for procedure. Insurance allows 18 thousand, pays 15 and the patient still owes over $3000.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Quoting jessilin0113:

My son was in the NICU for 17 days when he was born. Over 60 grand and tricare paid just over 9. Zero patient responsibility. Benefit of having the government negotiate rates for you.

Now how is this fair. Hospital bills about 14 thousand for procedure. Insurance allows 18 thousand, pays 15 and the patient still owes over $3000.

The patient only paid $30.00  Tri Care paid only a bit over $1,000.00.

Some one posted this scenario on their FB page.  

I was curious what others thought about it.

The thinking was that if the hospital wrote off such a large amount, why bother to charge it to begin with.  They will not receive that money.  

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Because other insurances WILL pay that. Or at least allow that much.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting jessilin0113:

The thinking was that if the hospital wrote off such a large amount, why bother to charge it to begin with.  They will not receive that money.  

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Quoting jessilin0113:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting jessilin0113:

Help me out here.  Sorry............ lol

What other insurance companies are going to pick up that amount the hospital wrote off?

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:41 PM
2 moms liked this
No i mean if that same procedure had been billed to blue cross instead of tricare, the hospital would have gotten payment almost in full. That's why they don't just bill for tricare allowables. If insurance A allows $100 for a procedure and insurance B allows $50, the hospital will bill out the $100 every time.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting jessilin0113:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting jessilin0113:

Help me out here.  Sorry............ lol

What other insurance companies are going to pick up that amount the hospital wrote off?

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:45 PM

From what I understand there are insurance companies that pay clinics and hospitals to accept their insurance plans, too.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Those rates are ludicrous. I posted an article about hospital rates last week, I think. The mark up on everything is outrageous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:48 PM

They wrote it off because of the agreement they have with Tri Care and they do the same for a few others. However, for other insurance the person would owe the entire remaining amount. It boils down to the agreement they have with the insurance company.

BTW if you catch them during a negotiation you will get the full remainder of the bill often regardless of what the previous contract was.

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:53 PM
I was a private patient and the hospital wrote off over 180, 000. I never paid a dime.
jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes but their contractual rates are much higher. Medicare, medicaid, and tricare have very low allowables in terms if how much they pay for .

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

From what I understand there are insurance companies that pay clinics and hospitals to accept their insurance plans, too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured