Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Are you surprised to see Republicans stand up for gay marriage?

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:20 PM
  • 24 Replies

Gay Marriage Support From 75 Top Republicans?! Did Hell Just Freeze Over?

Posted by Adriana Velez on February 26, 2013 a

gay wedding cakeAt least 75 prominent Republicans have signed on in support of gay marriage. You read that right: Republicans gave gay marriage the thumbs up, in writing. Dozens of Republicans signed a legal document to be sent to the Supreme Court arguing that same-sex marriage is a constitutional right.

And why are they doing this? Were their hearts also changed by Glee? Nope. It's all about good, old-fashioned conservative values of "limited government and maximizing individual freedom." Oh yeah, and it promotes family values by allowing kids of gay couples to grow up in two-parent homes. No duh, Republicans!

This group of Republicans is speaking up now because the Supreme Court is hearing a lawsuit trying to strike down Proposition 8 as unconstitutional. California's Prop 8 was a ballot initiative that banned gay marriage in the state. The Court is also hearing challenges to the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act.

Who are these gay-friendly Republicans? Oh, you know, the usual establishment types. Top advisers to former President George W. Bush, four former governors including Meg Whitman (in a total about-face), President Ronald Reagan's first budget director David A. Stockman, and even two representatives from Congress, Ileana Ros-Lehtinen of Florida and Richard Hanna of New York.

So this is a BFD, as Biden would say, and I'm thrilled to see leaders willing to stick their necks out and take a controversial stand. But it's not even a stretch, really, because they're absolutely right -- we don't need the government meddling in people's personal lives and telling them who they can and cannot marry. Prohibiting gay marriage in the first place was government overreach.

And hello with the family values! For the life of me, I will never understand why people would be against gays settling down, getting married, and raising children together like boring old conventional couples. They get hate for partying and having multiple sex partners, they get hate for wanting to settle down. Good grief, at least pick one, haters. That's not fair. (I'm kidding -- don't hate at all. Noh8!)

Anyway, I think this could make a big difference. We're definitely reaching a tipping point here. But I think it's also smart of these people to put themselves on the right side of history.

Are you surprised to see Republicans stand up for gay marriage, or do you think it's totally in alignment with conservative values and no big deal?

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NewMom11222011
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:25 PM

It's in line with some of the conversative values that I espouse, but the Republicans have so long courted the religious right that, yes, I am a bit surprised by the about face.  I'm guessing they serve in constituencies that support gay marriage.

Mama2Spencerninja

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I"m not surprised.  The Republican party has been losing supporters because of their stance on social issues like this.  If they come to the middle with the social issues while mainting their stance on being fiscally conservative, maybe they'll gain some people back.

bellawomen
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I am surprised it has come BEFORE the ruling, but not surprised.

Republicans NEED young voters and the younger generations if they want to survive.  I think they really isolated themselves in the past few years with their hardline ultra conservative stance on many issues, especially social issues.  I am sure their support is politically motiviated not morally motivated which upsets me.  Basically, they want to pretend like everything is ok.  If gay marriage is made legal, then its one less thing for them to be criticized for.  However, they openly admit they still feel ITS WRONG.   They are two-faced if you ask me.  I am glad they have made the change, don't get me wrong.  I just wish it was because it was the right thing to do, not because they want to shut people up.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:57 PM

A bit.. simply because they have played ball for the religious right for so long...

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Not at all.

IandLoveandYou
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:24 PM
I really am surprised, pleasantly surprised :).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:30 PM
2 moms liked this
This is what small govt conservativism is all about & these are real Republicans!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:31 PM
I admit I'm pleasantly surprised.
Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Ha! I swear I didn't see your response before I wrote mine:)

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

I really am surprised, pleasantly surprised :).
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Oh, now they are "top" Republicans because some vested interest has swayed them, even though most of them are rather unknown.

Interesting. 

No one is "against gays settling down".  It's the redefinition of marriage that is at issue, nothing else.

But whatever....we all know how this is going to go. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)