Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Giving homeless people money

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:53 PM
  • 135 Replies
1 mom liked this
Everyday on my way to work I stop at 7eleven for my coffee. In the same corner of the store almost everyday there are those people holding the Bible ready to talk about God.

Yesterday I go and instead of a Bible holder, there's a young girl asking for money. My heart breaks. I know she's on drugs. I give her $2.

Today I go again and she's out there again. I can tell she's high but I can't put my finger on what exactly her poison is. I'm worried it's heroin. She doesn't aske for money this time, I think because she recognizes me.

I give her $1.11 and she's real grateful. I ask her how old she is and she tells me 20. She can't even focus her eyes on me. My heart breaks even more.

Are you the type that wouldn't give money to her, knowing she is using drugs?

I think the opposite. My dad was a heroin addict and my mom would not let him be around me and my sister. I know what heroine is and the withdrawals are painful. If I didn't give money to this girl, I wouldn't of been able to forgive myself.

The funny part is- where are those church-goers when she's there?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:54 PM
2 moms liked this

No.  I will not give money.

I will, and often have, bought food, drink, even clothing and dog food.

You bring up a good point in regards to the Bible reading folks.  I do wonder why they are not there at the same time she is.

lanceandhailey
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:56 PM
2 moms liked this

Wouldn't it help her more if you offered to drive her someplace she could check herself in and get the help she needed? Instead of giving her money to further ruin her life..Those 'church goers' aren't the only ones that can help her.

viv212
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:57 PM
I don't know why I'm more prone to giving women money compared to men. And it seems like I have a weaker spot for heroin users than say tweakers or alcoholics.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

No.  I will not give money.

I will, and often have, bought food, drink, even clothing and dog food.

You bring up a good point in regards to the Bible reading folks.  I do wonder why they are not there at the same time she is.

viv212
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I can't say I would give a stranger drug addict a ride.

Quoting lanceandhailey:

Wouldn't it help her more if you offered to drive her someplace she could check herself in and get the help she needed? Instead of giving her money to further ruin her life..Those 'church goers' aren't the only ones that can help her.

IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I would NEVER give her cash. I would give her food, love and kindness and MOST importantly prayer.

I couldn't possibly know why the "church-goers" aren't there when she is... Have they been asked to leave? are they on vacation? Perhaps they've set up 'shop' somewhere else...

nurbabe82
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:00 PM

No I won't give money. BIL passed away from a drug over dose. I just couldn't do it but I would be willing to buy food though.

furbabymum
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I gave money to a guy that I was sure was addicted to meth. I just couldn't stand the thought of his baby not having food. He realed me in with that one which is hard to do with my job. I decided that even if my $40 was going toward meth I would be at peace.

Maybe the curch people went to a different 7-Eleven and do not eve know that girl is there.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I give money to people, and also talk to them, if they want to talk. 

We are out there. 

LilliesValley
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:02 PM
I don't give people money. They're never going to change while someone is giving them a handout. There are numerous federal, state, volunteer, shelters, charities, clinics, etc to help people when and if they want it. Jmot.
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Food yes, money, no

It's buying her more drugs, would you feel bad is her next hit killed her?

Withdraw is painful but death is final

I know it's hard though
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN