Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What music

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:02 PM
  • 113 Replies

What music/bands did you listen to as a teenager?   What did your parents think of it?  

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure my parents ever knew.  I had a chronically ill sibling who was in the hospital all the time, and basically raised myself.    Turtles, Eagles, Journey, Lynryd Skynyrd, Fleetwood Mac, Linda Rondstadt, Olivia Newton-John.  Barbra Streisand, Bob Seger.

Really scary stuff there...

Yeah, I know I'm old.  I expect to hear, "Oh yes....my MOTHER (or Grandma!) loves that stuff!". 

katy_kay08
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I love at least 6 of those on your list.  My dad was a huge music lover and played all those artists when I was growing up.   Not old...well seasoned.  :) 

Quoting TranquilMind:

I'm not sure my parents ever knew.  I had a chronically ill sibling who was in the hospital all the time, and basically raised myself.    Turtles, Eagles, Journey, Lynryd Skynyrd, Fleetwood Mac, Linda Rondstadt, Olivia Newton-John.  Barbra Streisand, Bob Seger.

Yeah, I know I'm old.  I expect to hear, "Oh yes....my MOTHER (or Grandma!) loves that stuff!". 

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Rap and Rock mostly. My parents and family members are all music lovers. My parents could go from Conway Twitty to KC & The Sunshine Band to Foghat to Teddy Pendergrass. I like all kinds of music.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Thinking back...........my teenage years............

We were not allowed to see KISS in concert but my brother was a huge fan.  We all liked their music, including my mom.

Leif Garrett.  LMAO!!!!

Oh goodness, I loved country music but that wasn't what every one else listened to so I listened to Zeppelin a lot.  lol  

I'm trying to remember the albums I had. lol  A lot of the Beatles.  Rod Stewart, Michael Jackson, Elton John.  Loved Supertramp.

Madonna, AC/DC, The Go Gos.  LOVED Pat Benetar.  Also really liked REO Speedwagon.

One band in particular whom I was (still am) a huge fan of is U2.

Later on, the hair bands.  lol 

My mom never flat out told us we could not listen to any thing.  There were certain songs, singers, bands, etc., she disliked and she let us know and let us know why.  We were not allowed to listen to some of what she felt strongly about in the house.

We respected her rules.  We understood why even if we did not agree.

JOURNEY!  Although I wasn't an early teen.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:27 PM

S/O of what KK?

katy_kay08
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:31 PM
2 moms liked this

just to ignore your bait and drama I'm removing the S/O.  

Quoting Radarma:

S/O of what KK?

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Quoting katy_kay08:

just to ignore your bait and drama I'm removing the S/O.  

Quoting Radarma:

S/O of what KK?

lol, good thinking since you clearly lack the courage to state and support YOUR agenda in your post here. So very cute.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:34 PM

as a teen?

Hmm.. Orgy, Marilyn Manson, Cradle of Filth, Queen (always Queen.lol) Loreena McKennitt.. Enya. White Zombie, Boston, The Offspring, ..hmmmm..Bach, Mozart.. lol

Mum had no issues with my music

Dad...hated it.. lol However, as long as none of it was rap or R&b, he tolerated... I never liked that kind anyway

katy_kay08
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:35 PM

so rap was off the table by Marilyn Manson was okay?  :) 

Quoting Sekirei:

as a teen?

Hmm.. Orgy, Marilyn Manson, Cradle of Filth, Queen (always Queen.lol) Loreena McKennitt.. Enya. White Zombie, Boston, The Offspring, ..hmmmm..Bach, Mozart.. lol

Mum had no issues with my music

Dad...hated it.. lol However, as long as none of it was rap or R&b, he tolerated... I never liked that kind anyway

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Of course....your DAD.  Lol

Well, it's still good stuff.  I don't care who you are.  Oh, I left out REO Speedwagon, another favorite, but they were a little later than my teens. 

I hired the teen next door to do some yardwork for me ten years ago or so, and he played MY music...only he called it "oldies". 

Whatever.

Quoting katy_kay08:

I love at least 6 of those on your list.  My dad was a huge music lover and played all those artists when I was growing up.   Not old...well seasoned.  :) 

Quoting TranquilMind:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured