Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What music/bands did you listen to as a teenager?   What did your parents think of it?  

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Replies (11-20):
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:36 PM

yup.. Dad is racist.. and manson actually sang.  :3

Quoting katy_kay08:

so rap was off the table by Marilyn Manson was okay?  :) 

Quoting Sekirei:

as a teen?

Hmm.. Orgy, Marilyn Manson, Cradle of Filth, Queen (always Queen.lol) Loreena McKennitt.. Enya. White Zombie, Boston, The Offspring, ..hmmmm..Bach, Mozart.. lol

Mum had no issues with my music

Dad...hated it.. lol However, as long as none of it was rap or R&b, he tolerated... I never liked that kind anyway

romalove
by Roma on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I'm a Jersey girl.

Brruuuuuuccceee

Bon Jovi

Billy Joel

Led Zeppelin

Beatles

Rolling Stones

QUEEN

Paul Simon

Eagles

Fleetwood Mac

Stevie Wonder

Spinners

Carpenters

Elton John

Pink Floyd

Meat Loaf

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Madonna, David Bowie, Bob Marley, Earth Wind and Fire, Abba, ....and everything from the 60's...I love that music.

Parents didnt mind most of the music

redbutterfly666
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:39 PM

i listened to pretty much everything my dad listened to, but my dad really didnt care what music i listened to anyway,hell he bought me a korn and disturbed cd when i was 10 lol

ETA: this is roughly the stuff i listened to, disturbed,korn,marylin manson,nightwish,within temptation,the gathering,leaves eyes,enya,celtic women,aerosmith,offspring,the best of the 80's (literally thats the name of the cd lol) um a bunch of j-pop songs, bloodhound gang because they are raunchy and perverted jokes made me laugh hehe,hmmmmmm bring me the horizon,escape the fate,murderdolls,emilie autumn,tarja trunen,hawthorn heights(thats more of an elementary school band i listened to though) my chemical romance.....there are so many more but i cant think of anymore

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh it was the 80s, so a lot of glam rock hair bands to tell us all about how we have to be slutty and slinky.

Also classical music and the blues.

And at the skating rink - RAPPER'S DELIGHT, baby.

I turned out ok.  I think it was the Rapper's Delight and not the Mozart that did it.  It certainly wasn't Cinderlla or that chick in her panties squirming around on top of the Rolls Royce.

katy_kay08
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:40 PM

If it's any consolation, my dad was a young dad.  :) 

I loved REO speedwagon.  That was one on my list of things I listened to as a teenager.

things I listened to: Twisted Sister, The Beastie Boys, The Cure, Flock of Seaguls, Michael Jackson, John Waite, Loverboy, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran.  LOL...Pebbles, Paula Abdul, Janet Jackson, Madonna, Cydi Lauper, Queen, Foreigner,  and the Monkees.  :) 

Quoting TranquilMind:

Of course....your DAD.  Lol

Well, it's still good stuff.  I don't care who you are.  Oh, I left out REO Speedwagon, another favorite, but they were a little later than my teens. 

I hired the teen next door to do some yardwork for me ten years ago or so, and he played MY music...only he called it "oldies". 

Whatever.

Quoting katy_kay08:

I love at least 6 of those on your list.  My dad was a huge music lover and played all those artists when I was growing up.   Not old...well seasoned.  :) 

Quoting TranquilMind:

I'm not sure my parents ever knew.  I had a chronically ill sibling who was in the hospital all the time, and basically raised myself.    Turtles, Eagles, Journey, Lynryd Skynyrd, Fleetwood Mac, Linda Rondstadt, Olivia Newton-John.  Barbra Streisand, Bob Seger.

Really scary stuff there...

Yeah, I know I'm old.  I expect to hear, "Oh yes....my MOTHER (or Grandma!) loves that stuff!". 

IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Everything from Elvis Costello to Pink Floyd..From Journey To Black Sabbath...10CC to Queen..

Ten Years After to Zeppelin back to Kiss

I think you get the picture..lol

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:42 PM
2 moms liked this

The Boss rocks.  "Boooorrrrn in the USA"

Quoting romalove:

I'm a Jersey girl.

Brruuuuuuccceee

Bon Jovi

Billy Joel

Led Zeppelin

Beatles

Rolling Stones

QUEEN

Paul Simon

Eagles

Fleetwood Mac

Stevie Wonder

Spinners

Carpenters

Elton John

Pink Floyd

Meat Loaf

tscritch
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:43 PM

As a teenager..... The Cure, The Smiths, Depeche Mode, New Order, classical, Jane's Addiction, Red Hot Chili Peppers, mostly really upbeat stuff! lol Those are the only ones coming to mind right now, I know am forgetting a ton.

ETA The Pixies (my favorite band, can't believe I forgot them)

My parents didn't like my music but they never stopped me from listening to it or going to concerts.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:43 PM

INXS, The Cure, Depeche Mode, U2, The Smiths.

My parents were just thrilled! Not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured