Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What music/bands did you listen to as a teenager?   What did your parents think of it?  

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Replies (21-30):
krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:44 PM

My mom rolled her eyes at my music, but she was a pure country gal. The contemporary music I listened to: Sublime, Rob Zombie, 311, Nirvana, etc. Plus, I hung out with hippies and had dreadlocks (this was the late 90s), so I obviously listened to a lot of Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, and the Doors. :)

I didn't cultivate a taste for rap/hip hop until college. 

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Ok.  I can take it....how old is your "young dad" now?

Yes, REO was awesome.  I told my kids they have to play "Take it on the Run", "Keep on Rolling" and "Time for me to Fly" (isn't that appropriate) at my FUNERAL.  Along with "Free Bird", of course.

Boomer funerals will NOT be like your granny's funeral....

Quoting katy_kay08:

If it's any consolation, my dad was a young dad.  :) 

I loved REO speedwagon.  That was one on my list of things I listened to as a teenager.

things I listened to: Twisted Sister, The Beastie Boys, The Cure, Flock of Seaguls, Michael Jackson, John Waite, Loverboy, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran.  LOL...Pebbles, Paula Abdul, Janet Jackson, Madonna, Cydi Lauper, Queen, Foreigner,  and the Monkees.  :) 

Quoting TranquilMind:

Of course....your DAD.  Lol

Well, it's still good stuff.  I don't care who you are.  Oh, I left out REO Speedwagon, another favorite, but they were a little later than my teens. 

I hired the teen next door to do some yardwork for me ten years ago or so, and he played MY music...only he called it "oldies". 

Whatever.

Quoting katy_kay08:

I love at least 6 of those on your list.  My dad was a huge music lover and played all those artists when I was growing up.   Not old...well seasoned.  :) 

Quoting TranquilMind:

I'm not sure my parents ever knew.  I had a chronically ill sibling who was in the hospital all the time, and basically raised myself.    Turtles, Eagles, Journey, Lynryd Skynyrd, Fleetwood Mac, Linda Rondstadt, Olivia Newton-John.  Barbra Streisand, Bob Seger.

Really scary stuff there...

Yeah, I know I'm old.  I expect to hear, "Oh yes....my MOTHER (or Grandma!) loves that stuff!". 

krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Oh, I loved REO Speedwagon, too (I still do...a lot). My step dad had a casette tape, and I would play it over and over and over, in junior high especially. 

katy_kay08
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:46 PM

my father passed away before his 64th birthday last year.  

I've been singing Take it on the Run since you mentioned REO Speedwagon.  

Quoting TranquilMind:

Yes, REO was awesome.  I told my kids they have to play "Take it on the Run", "Keep on Rolling" and "Time for me to Fly" (isn't that appropriate) at my FUNERAL.  Along with "Free Bird", of course.

Quoting katy_kay08:

I loved REO speedwagon.  That was one on my list of things I listened to as a teenager.

things I listened to: Twisted Sister, The Beastie Boys, The Cure, Flock of Seaguls, Michael Jackson, John Waite, Loverboy, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran.  LOL...Pebbles, Paula Abdul, Janet Jackson, Madonna, Cydi Lauper, Queen, Foreigner,  and the Monkees.  :) 

Quoting TranquilMind:

Well, it's still good stuff.  I don't care who you are.  Oh, I left out REO Speedwagon, another favorite, but they were a little later than my teens. 

I hired the teen next door to do some yardwork for me ten years ago or so, and he played MY music...only he called it "oldies". 

Whatever.

Quoting katy_kay08:

I love at least 6 of those on your list.  My dad was a huge music lover and played all those artists when I was growing up.   Not old...well seasoned.  :) 

Quoting TranquilMind:

I'm not sure my parents ever knew.  I had a chronically ill sibling who was in the hospital all the time, and basically raised myself.    Turtles, Eagles, Journey, Lynryd Skynyrd, Fleetwood Mac, Linda Rondstadt, Olivia Newton-John.  Barbra Streisand, Bob Seger.

Yeah, I know I'm old.  I expect to hear, "Oh yes....my MOTHER (or Grandma!) loves that stuff!". 

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Early teens, my taste was as bad as the average 11yo: Rex Smith and Airsupply (arg.)

In my teens, I listened to the same kinds of things as my mom: Blue Oyster Cult, Queen, AC/DC, Boney M, Pink Floyd...

katy_kay08
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I was talking with my stepdad yesterday about our music choices as teenagers and asked if his parent's liked his music.  His immediate response was "no".  I got the same answer when I asked he liked my music choice when I was a teenager.  :) But he still drove me all the way to Seattle to see the Cure in concert when I was 15.  

Quoting Raintree:

INXS, The Cure, Depeche Mode, U2, The Smiths.

My parents were just thrilled! Not.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I listened to everything, so no real favorites

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I'm sorry about your Dad.  That's still far too young to go!

My son was looking at Kevin Cronyn on a CD cover,with the HUGE hair and striped pants.  He's like, "WHAT is THIS?"

Quoting katy_kay08:

my father passed away before his 64th birthday last year.  

I've been singing Take it on the Run since you mentioned REO Speedwagon.  

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Whatever.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting TranquilMind:

katy_kay08
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I loved early rap. 

Quoting krysstizzle:

My mom rolled her eyes at my music, but she was a pure country gal. The contemporary music I listened to: Sublime, Rob Zombie, 311, Nirvana, etc. Plus, I hung out with hippies and had dreadlocks (this was the late 90s), so I obviously listened to a lot of Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, and the Doors. :)

I didn't cultivate a taste for rap/hip hop until college. 

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Hey, I liked Air Supply....and Richard Marx!  I went through a sappy love songs period...doesn't everyone?

Quoting LindaClement:

Early teens, my taste was as bad as the average 11yo: Rex Smith and Airsupply (arg.)

In my teens, I listened to the same kinds of things as my mom: Blue Oyster Cult, Queen, AC/DC, Boney M, Pink Floyd...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)