Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Transgender Fountain 1st grader banned from girls bathroom, discrimination claim filed

Posted by   + Show Post

Since transgender seems to be the hot topic.....

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_22674172/transgender-fountain-1st-grader-banned-from-girls-bathroom?utm_medium=facebook

Transgender Fountain 1st grader banned from girls bathroom, discrimination claim filed

Posted: 02/26/2013 05:25:40 PM MST
February 27, 2013 1:2 AM GMTUpdated: 02/26/2013 06:02:32 PM MST
By Colleen O'Connor
The Denver Post
denverpost.com

6-year-old Coy Mathis (Photo provided by Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund)

The parents of a transgender 6-year-old have filed a complaint with the Colorado Civil Rights Division because Eagleside Elementary School in Fountain has banned the 1st grader from using the girl's bathroom.

The child, Coy Mathis, was born male but identifies as female. She has attended the school since December 2011.

"This is significant for both Colorado, and nationally," said Michael Silverman, executive director of the Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund, who is representing the family. "For Colorado, it is the first test of the Colorado Anti-Discrimination Act as related to access to bathrooms by transgender students.

"On a national level, as we see more and more transgender people coming out at younger and younger ages, people will be watching what happens in Colorado."

In November, a Maine state court ruled that a school district did not violate a transgender student's rights under the Maine Human Rights Act when it prohibited her from using the girls' restroom.

Transgender identity is a relatively new issue in the nation and so there is little uniformity among school district policies. Some in Colorado, including Boulder Valley Schools, have already crafted detailed policies citing the state Anti-Discrimination Act. Others have not.

Boulder's four-page set of guidelines specifically addresses restroom accessibility, stating that "students shall have access to the restroom that corresponds to their gender identity consistently asserted at school."

The policy was developed about five years ago because "the district has long been committed to the inclusion of sexual orientation and gender identity," said district spokesman Briggs Gamblin.

Every two years, the district participates Boulder County's Youth Risk Behavior Survey, which "consistently has found one of the high-risk groups for teen suicide are GLBT or questioning. It's critically important that these students feel included - part of the community, not separated from it," Gamblin said.

Coy Mathis wears girls' clothing and students and staff used the female pronouns when referring to her. But Fountain-Fort Carson School District 8 administrators decided over winter break that the child should use the boys bathroom, or the staff restroom or one in the school nurse's office.

That decision took into account "not only Coy, but other students in the building, their parents, and the future impact a boy, with male genitals, using a girls' bathroom would have as Coy grew older," said Wm. Kelly Dude, a lawyer representing the school district wrote in a Dec. 28 letter to Silverman.

Dude argued that the district is in compliance with the Colorado Anti-Discrimination Act because "Coy attends class as all other students, is permitted to wear girls' clothes, and is referred to as the parents have requested," and was allowed access to single-user restrooms used by employees or gender-neutral restrooms in the school's health room.

Coy's parents, Kathryn and Jeremy Mathis, took her out of school. She is being homeschooled until the issue is resolved.

The family will appear at a press conference at 11 a.m. Wednesday on the west steps of the State Capitol to announce the filing of the complaint.

"It's important for us to talk about this, because a lot of people have been so afraid to be their true selves for so long," Kathryn Mathis said. "They've know from very young children who they are, but were afraid to tell. We want to help create a society where it's OK to be who you are."

She said that as soon as Coy began to talk, she insisted that she was a girl, not a boy.

As parents, they were sad and upset when they heard that Coy could no longer use the girls bathroom at school, Kathryn Mathis said.

"This automatically singles her out and stigmatizes her," she said. "It sets her up for future harassing and bullying, and creates an unsafe environment. The school has a wonderful opportunity to teach students that differences are OK, and we should embrace their differences, instead of teaching them to discriminate against someone who is a little different."

Thoughts?

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:18 PM
Replies (21-30):
angelachristine
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this

i'm not really sure maybe no one but if they allow this child then they would have to allow a transgender female to male and the men's rooms have urinals so that would be a problem. 

Quoting CreamCheeze:

I've been in both men's and women's bathrooms and don't recall ever seeing urinals in the ladies room. I'd also assume she sits down to pee, and likely with the door closed.

Who exactly will see her penis?

It's Cassandra Cat! 

IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:48 PM
3 moms liked this

The parents would be good parents if treated the child like a child..He is far too young, his brain is not fully developed(thinking, reasoning processes) to decide this.

Maybe if they hadn't jumped into playing along he may have been over this idea ...we will never know now.

Some kids want to be superman when they are little..do you say ok and let him try to fly off the roof?

Quoting tscritch:

So the parents would be good parents if they forced her to act/behave/do everything in a manner that goes against who she feels she is?

I have a 6 year old and they are pretty smart and intuned...I don't think the parents decided she was a girl on a whim!!

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

He is a boy..he needs to use the boys restroom. SHAME on those parents allowing this child to make a choice such as this at the age of 6. Senseless parents...Shame on the school for playing along calling him..her.

Sounds like they really wanted to have a girl..he was offered alternatives...

"Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone- except God"...Billy Graham
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Likely if they have sought therapy, which they may have, they are doing exactly what the therapist has instructed them to do.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Why is the child being referred to as "her"?  Have the parents had their child's gender legally changed by a court?  It's really sad how parents are seeking attention instead of seeking therapy for their child.  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tscritch
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:49 PM

No, Boulder and Fountain are in different parts of the state.

Quoting Bookwormy:

I assume the Boulder policy does not apply to the Fountain school district.

This is the perfect example of why gendered restrooms are unneccesary & even inappropriate. If we were to get rid of them in this elementary school, the kids would grow up not expecting them later either.

None of these 6yo children are doing anything to hurt anyone. None of her peers were negatively effected I'm sure. As long as there were stalls, they all probably think that she is a girl, which she is.

If they weren't going to allow this, they should have been consistent all along. Shame on the school for ostracizing a 6yo mid school year!

tscritch
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Don't boys rooms also have stalls?

Quoting angelachristine:

i'm not really sure maybe no one but if they allow this child then they would have to allow a transgender female to male and the men's rooms have urinals so that would be a problem. 

Quoting CreamCheeze:

I've been in both men's and women's bathrooms and don't recall ever seeing urinals in the ladies room. I'd also assume she sits down to pee, and likely with the door closed.

Who exactly will see her penis?

IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Splitting hairs on a figure of speech won't accomplish much...

Quoting NewMom11222011:

Playing along?  I'm pretty sure no one in the family sees it as a game.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

As much as I've had the tv on these past 2 weeks, I'm surprised I missed it. lol

What I 'see' wrong about what the parents have done/ are doing is..playing along with a child's mind.

The school never should have allowed this in the first place..maybe they have come to their senses finally.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

He is a boy..he needs to use the boys restroom. SHAME on those parents allowing this child to make a choice such as this at the age of 6. Senseless parents...Shame on the school for playing along calling him..her.

I watched the show.  I am not certain I think she should be able to use the girls restroom but she was, at one time, allowed to do so without hesitation.  The school changed their policy.  That is what has upset the parents.

Also, after having watched the show, I don't feel these parents have done any thing 'wrong'.  Granted, I haven't a clue how I would react but it seems as if they did all they could to determine that this little one is safe and is who she is.

There were several other people on the show as well.  It was interesting.

"Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone- except God"...Billy Graham
purpleducky
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:53 PM
3 moms liked this

And this just proves you do not know psychology. Shame on you for thinking it is a choice.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

NewMom11222011
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I'm not trying to split hairs, this is a serious issue and I think the parents are doing the best they can in a tough situation.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Splitting hairs on a figure of speech won't accomplish much...

Quoting NewMom11222011:

Playing along?  I'm pretty sure no one in the family sees it as a game.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

As much as I've had the tv on these past 2 weeks, I'm surprised I missed it. lol

What I 'see' wrong about what the parents have done/ are doing is..playing along with a child's mind.

The school never should have allowed this in the first place..maybe they have come to their senses finally.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

I watched the show.  I am not certain I think she should be able to use the girls restroom but she was, at one time, allowed to do so without hesitation.  The school changed their policy.  That is what has upset the parents.

Also, after having watched the show, I don't feel these parents have done any thing 'wrong'.  Granted, I haven't a clue how I would react but it seems as if they did all they could to determine that this little one is safe and is who she is.

There were several other people on the show as well.  It was interesting.

Mama2Spencerninja

tscritch
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Maybe if they didn't support their child then the child would have even bigger issues. Maybe they thought forcing their child to be the "norm" would be the worse choice for their child.

Comparing a transgender persons feelings of gender identity to that of wanting to be a pretend superhero is silly and degrading.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

The parents would be good parents if treated the child like a child..He is far too young, his brain is not fully developed(thinking, reasoning processes) to decide this.

Maybe if they hadn't jumped into playing along he may have been over this idea ...we will never know now.

Some kids want to be superman when they are little..do you say ok and let him try to fly off the roof?

Quoting tscritch:

So the parents would be good parents if they forced her to act/behave/do everything in a manner that goes against who she feels she is?

I have a 6 year old and they are pretty smart and intuned...I don't think the parents decided she was a girl on a whim!!

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

purpleducky
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Because her gender is female. It doesn't need to be changed by any courts for it to be real. And generally speaking the courts do not dictate gender but rather sex. 

As for the therapy suggestion, she is most likely in therapy.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Why is the child being referred to as "her"?  Have the parents had their child's gender legally changed by a court?  It's really sad how parents are seeking attention instead of seeking therapy for their child.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)