Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Transgender Fountain 1st grader banned from girls bathroom, discrimination claim filed

Posted by   + Show Post

Since transgender seems to be the hot topic.....

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_22674172/transgender-fountain-1st-grader-banned-from-girls-bathroom?utm_medium=facebook

Transgender Fountain 1st grader banned from girls bathroom, discrimination claim filed

Posted: 02/26/2013 05:25:40 PM MST
February 27, 2013 1:2 AM GMTUpdated: 02/26/2013 06:02:32 PM MST
By Colleen O'Connor
The Denver Post
denverpost.com

6-year-old Coy Mathis (Photo provided by Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund)

The parents of a transgender 6-year-old have filed a complaint with the Colorado Civil Rights Division because Eagleside Elementary School in Fountain has banned the 1st grader from using the girl's bathroom.

The child, Coy Mathis, was born male but identifies as female. She has attended the school since December 2011.

"This is significant for both Colorado, and nationally," said Michael Silverman, executive director of the Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund, who is representing the family. "For Colorado, it is the first test of the Colorado Anti-Discrimination Act as related to access to bathrooms by transgender students.

"On a national level, as we see more and more transgender people coming out at younger and younger ages, people will be watching what happens in Colorado."

In November, a Maine state court ruled that a school district did not violate a transgender student's rights under the Maine Human Rights Act when it prohibited her from using the girls' restroom.

Transgender identity is a relatively new issue in the nation and so there is little uniformity among school district policies. Some in Colorado, including Boulder Valley Schools, have already crafted detailed policies citing the state Anti-Discrimination Act. Others have not.

Boulder's four-page set of guidelines specifically addresses restroom accessibility, stating that "students shall have access to the restroom that corresponds to their gender identity consistently asserted at school."

The policy was developed about five years ago because "the district has long been committed to the inclusion of sexual orientation and gender identity," said district spokesman Briggs Gamblin.

Every two years, the district participates Boulder County's Youth Risk Behavior Survey, which "consistently has found one of the high-risk groups for teen suicide are GLBT or questioning. It's critically important that these students feel included - part of the community, not separated from it," Gamblin said.

Coy Mathis wears girls' clothing and students and staff used the female pronouns when referring to her. But Fountain-Fort Carson School District 8 administrators decided over winter break that the child should use the boys bathroom, or the staff restroom or one in the school nurse's office.

That decision took into account "not only Coy, but other students in the building, their parents, and the future impact a boy, with male genitals, using a girls' bathroom would have as Coy grew older," said Wm. Kelly Dude, a lawyer representing the school district wrote in a Dec. 28 letter to Silverman.

Dude argued that the district is in compliance with the Colorado Anti-Discrimination Act because "Coy attends class as all other students, is permitted to wear girls' clothes, and is referred to as the parents have requested," and was allowed access to single-user restrooms used by employees or gender-neutral restrooms in the school's health room.

Coy's parents, Kathryn and Jeremy Mathis, took her out of school. She is being homeschooled until the issue is resolved.

The family will appear at a press conference at 11 a.m. Wednesday on the west steps of the State Capitol to announce the filing of the complaint.

"It's important for us to talk about this, because a lot of people have been so afraid to be their true selves for so long," Kathryn Mathis said. "They've know from very young children who they are, but were afraid to tell. We want to help create a society where it's OK to be who you are."

She said that as soon as Coy began to talk, she insisted that she was a girl, not a boy.

As parents, they were sad and upset when they heard that Coy could no longer use the girls bathroom at school, Kathryn Mathis said.

"This automatically singles her out and stigmatizes her," she said. "It sets her up for future harassing and bullying, and creates an unsafe environment. The school has a wonderful opportunity to teach students that differences are OK, and we should embrace their differences, instead of teaching them to discriminate against someone who is a little different."

Thoughts?

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:18 PM
Replies (51-60):
angelachristine
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Why can't I pull dollars out of thin air? Most of the schools are in dire straights already where is the funding going to come from?

Quoting AdellesMom:

Why can't the school get a unisex bathroom and make everyone happy?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Ducky IS wrong...you have no idea what I do and do not know..what I have and Have not studied...sheesh ppl, it's beyond silly at this point..lol

Quoting AdellesMom:

Ducky isn't wrong, and it isn't a choice. You honestly don't understand, and that's okay.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

LOL, you really need to get over it..You are wrong , plain and simple.
The shame remains on you...

Quoting purpleducky:

And this just proves you do not know psychology. Shame on you for thinking it is a choice.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

He is a boy..he needs to use the boys restroom. SHAME on those parents allowing this child to make a choice such as this at the age of 6. Senseless parents...Shame on the school for playing along calling him..her.

Sounds like they really wanted to have a girl..he was offered alternatives...

"Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone- except God"...Billy Graham
AdellesMom
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:08 PM
They can just rename a bathroom. It's not that hard.

Quoting angelachristine:

Why can't I pull dollars out of thin air? Most of the schools are in dire straights already where is the funding going to come from?

Quoting AdellesMom:

Why can't the school get a unisex bathroom and make everyone happy?

AdellesMom
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:08 PM
2 moms liked this
You obviously haven't studied science.

It's not a choice. You can say that it's a choice all you want, that doesn't mean that what you're saying is true.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Ducky IS wrong...you have no idea what I do and do not know..what I have and Have not studied...sheesh ppl, it's beyond silly at this point..lol

Quoting AdellesMom:

Ducky isn't wrong, and it isn't a choice. You honestly don't understand, and that's okay.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Quoting purpleducky:

And this just proves you do not know psychology. Shame on you for thinking it is a choice.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

He is a boy..he needs to use the boys restroom. SHAME on those parents allowing this child to make a choice such as this at the age of 6. Senseless parents...Shame on the school for playing along calling him..her.

RMC007
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:09 PM
2 moms liked this

My dd is in kindergarten. I would have NO problem with a transgender girl using the girls bathroom at dd's school. Unless another person told my child the little girl was born a male and has a penis, my child would not even know. It is not like the kids are using the restroom in front of each other, they are going into stalls, closing the doors, and doing their business. At the very least the school could allow the child to use an alternate bathroom rather than forcing her to use the boys restroom, such as the staff restroom. The staff restrooms at my school are unisex and only have one toilet and sink per restroom. Provide options.

Gender identity normally develops around the age of 2. I am pretty sure my almost 6 year old identifies herself as a female and understands the difference between boys and girls. I don't think any of us truly know what we would do if we were in the parents of this child's position.

IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:09 PM

You really don't know that? Please don't be silly here. And no you won't get a copy of my license..no random online person will..smh...

Quoting Bookwormy:

Scientific research please! & your licensure of course!

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Little kids have no clue what boy/girl means...if they would have just treated him as a child instead of pushing girl..things may be very differnt now.

Quoting tscritch:

Maybe if they didn't support their child then the child would have even bigger issues. Maybe they thought forcing their child to be the "norm" would be the worse choice for their child.

Comparing a transgender persons feelings of gender identity to that of wanting to be a pretend superhero is silly and degrading.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

The parents would be good parents if treated the child like a child..He is far too young, his brain is not fully developed(thinking, reasoning processes) to decide this.

Maybe if they hadn't jumped into playing along he may have been over this idea ...we will never know now.

Some kids want to be superman when they are little..do you say ok and let him try to fly off the roof?

Quoting tscritch:

So the parents would be good parents if they forced her to act/behave/do everything in a manner that goes against who she feels she is?

I have a 6 year old and they are pretty smart and intuned...I don't think the parents decided she was a girl on a whim!!

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

"Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone- except God"...Billy Graham
tscritch
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Trust me, I am being civil.

I am basing my responses on yours. You seem very intent (repeatedly saying) on blaming the parents and accusing them of pushing an agenda on this child. Your responses insinuate a very close minded response to this topic and based on your replies I think it is not that big of assumption to say you would force your child to be a gender that they feel they are not. If I am wrong, I will apologize.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

If you want to chat about this, fine...I won't continue a conversation with you if you can't act civil..and want to make assumptions..

Quoting tscritch:

Where are you getting that they "pushed" her to be a girl? How do you know what the parents are going through? Just because you don't like it and would shame your child into being who they are not does not mean all parents are as closed minded and not in tune with their child/ren.

What if they "forced" her to be a boy.....do you think she would magically wake up one day and say wow...I'm a boy?

Read a pp of someone that knows this family.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Little kids have no clue what boy/girl means...if they would have just treated him as a child instead of pushing girl..things may be very differnt now.

Quoting tscritch:

Maybe if they didn't support their child then the child would have even bigger issues. Maybe they thought forcing their child to be the "norm" would be the worse choice for their child.

Comparing a transgender persons feelings of gender identity to that of wanting to be a pretend superhero is silly and degrading.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

The parents would be good parents if treated the child like a child..He is far too young, his brain is not fully developed(thinking, reasoning processes) to decide this.

Maybe if they hadn't jumped into playing along he may have been over this idea ...we will never know now.

Some kids want to be superman when they are little..do you say ok and let him try to fly off the roof?

Quoting tscritch:

So the parents would be good parents if they forced her to act/behave/do everything in a manner that goes against who she feels she is?

I have a 6 year old and they are pretty smart and intuned...I don't think the parents decided she was a girl on a whim!!

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Cite the scientific research & your professional licensure.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Quoting AdellesMom:

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Quoting purpleducky:

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

AdellesMom
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a hard time believing that you're a licensed psychologist, or therapist. Lmfao

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

You really don't know that? Please don't be silly here. And no you won't get a copy of my license..no random online person will..smh...

Quoting Bookwormy:

Scientific research please! & your licensure of course!

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Quoting tscritch:

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Quoting tscritch:

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Like I told Ducky..just because you say it..doesn't make it so. I know how a lot of you 'ladies' LOVE to get off topic, accuse, attack, belittle. But now.. back to topic
Quoting AdellesMom:

You obviously haven't studied science.

It's not a choice. You can say that it's a choice all you want, that doesn't mean that what you're saying is true.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Quoting AdellesMom:

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Quoting purpleducky:

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN