Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

ACLU backs off. Free speech entitles student to wear anti-gay t-shirt

School allows student to wear anti-gay T-shirt

Updated:   02/27/2013 12:22:18 AM EST

Wednesday February 27, 2013

WOLCOTT, Conn. (AP) -- Officials in a Connecticut school district have backed down in a fight over free speech rights, allowing a student to wear a T-shirt bearing an anti-gay message.

The lawyer for the school district this month wrote to the American Civil Liberties Union of Connecticut, saying Wolcott High School student Seth Groody may wear the T-shirt, which bears a slash mark through a rainbow. The other side showed a male and female stick figure holding hands above the message "Excessive Speech Day," the ACLU of Connecticut said.

The ACLU said Groody wore the shirt April 20, which was designated as a day of awareness of harassment toward gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.

Groody complied with an order from a school administrator that he remove his shirt and replace it with one depicting a Wolcott High School symbol, the ACLU said.

Sandra Staub, legal director of the ACLU of Connecticut, said the district’s reversal teaches students that the First Amendment "is not merely a theoretical discussion topic but a real and vital guarantee" of free speech rights.

The ACLU prepared a lawsuit to be filed in federal court demanding that the school district be stopped from enforcing its T-shirt ban and that no disciplinary measures be taken against Groody.

Without elaborating, school lawyer Christine Chinni wrote to the ACLU on Feb. 14, saying Groody may wear the T-shirt. She declined

to comment beyond what she wrote in the letter.

Edward Groody, Seth’s father, referred questions to the ACLU.

The ACLU disagrees "very strongly" with Seth’s views on gay rights, but its opinion has no bearing on his right to express those views, Staub said.

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/ci_22676439/school-allows-student-wear-anti-gay-t-shirt?source=most_viewed

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Replies (271-279):
NewMom11222011
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:42 AM

And I'm sure you know this from the vast number of hours you have spent in schools in your area observing the teachers and students at work throughout the years and not because a pundit told you so?

Please define lowering standards for me.  I hear that phrase thrown around a lot and wonder what it actually means to people.

Quoting candlegal:

Oh for God's sake, give me a break.   They have been lowering the standards in the government run schools for years.  One day of social tolerance, lol,  okay.

The standards in the government schools went downhill way before NCLB.   By the way that had more to do with the teachers teaching than it did with the actual policy.

Quoting NewMom11222011:

The feds already have standards that hold schools' feet tot the fire over their students learning the "three R's".  It's called No Child Left Behind.  Promoting one day of social tolerance does not mean they have blown academics out of the water.

Quoting candlegal:

You do realize that this stuff is more important in the government run schools, forget the three R's.   They apparently have done so.  Indoctrination  is what it is all about.

Quoting Billiejeens:

WTF is a school system doing promoting a day of Gay awareness in the first place.

The Public School system is not the place for these ideas.

Get a handle on Math, Science and English and stop pushing social agendas on our kids.

Where the hell are all the posters who don't think the classroom setting where our kids are basically held hostage, is a place for social dogma?

Mama2Spencerninja

bolz08
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:48 AM

so you can be "anti" a person...uh....sure some kid has one with a big ole' black guy too....this is beyond stupid and I'm shocked at the "goods" in the comments...sure hope it isn't your kid with the big slash through him or his identity some day...hate is hate and if you think this is okay then you are a hateful person.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:55 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting bolz08:

so you can be "anti" a person...uh....sure some kid has one with a big ole' black guy too....this is beyond stupid and I'm shocked at the "goods" in the comments...sure hope it isn't your kid with the big slash through him or his identity some day...hate is hate and if you think this is okay then you are a hateful person.

Freedom of speech allows a person to say things that other people don't agree with.

AliKatAK47
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:10 AM
I don't get the "excessive speech delay" thing
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LoganTroyMom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:08 PM
The gays cant have 420! Pick a different day.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NewMom11222011
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:25 PM

It was actually excessive speech day, indicating that to advocate equality for LGBT was excessive speech (as I understood it).

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Mama2Spencerninja

NewMom11222011
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I'm sure your grandchildren have teachers that would be happy to have your extra pair of hands in the classroom as most classrooms have more needs than can be handled by one person, especially at the lower grades.

Quoting Billiejeens:

My children are past school age and my grand-kids are just starting school.

When I had children in public school, a lot of my time was spent undoing the damage perpetrated on the kids, with the misinformation and social engineering curriculum pushed in public school.

Quoting NewMom11222011:

First, I hate NCLB because it doesn't address the academic problems schools have.  That being said, it's the current law of the land and administrators and teachers continue to be judged on it.

My husband and I, as two individuals, can't change the national ranking or even our state's ranking which is already quite high.  Not even you could do that as an individual.

I'm curious what you do to improve the educational culture in your area.  Serve on your local school board, volunteer in your child/children's school(s), work in the PTA/PTO, some other meaningful contribution?  After this thread I have no doubt that you will work with your area schools to develop dress codes that protect the free speech of all students whether or not they embrace homosexuality and gay equality/marriage.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Well, nationally we rank about 25th in the world in education, so if you and your spouse get a moment between patting each other on the back, maybe you could try to improve that.

Not even Bush supporters, think NCLB ended up being a good idea.

Quoting NewMom11222011:

I'm a teacher and married to a teacher.  I happen to know that in MA teachers are very much held accountable for the learning of English/Language Arts, Composition, Math, and Science that the students accomplish by the federal standards set forth in NCLB, despite the liberal social climate of the state.  Whether or not you choose to take me seriously about this is no concern of mine.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Jesus Christ, now I can't even come close to taking you seriously.

Quoting NewMom11222011:

The feds already have standards that hold schools' feet tot the fire over their students learning the "three R's".  It's called No Child Left Behind.  Promoting one day of social tolerance does not mean they have blown academics out of the water.

Quoting candlegal:

You do realize that this stuff is more important in the government run schools, forget the three R's.   They apparently have done so.  Indoctrination  is what it is all about.

Quoting Billiejeens:

WTF is a school system doing promoting a day of Gay awareness in the first place.

The Public School system is not the place for these ideas.

Get a handle on Math, Science and English and stop pushing social agendas on our kids.

Where the hell are all the posters who don't think the classroom setting where our kids are basically held hostage, is a place for social dogma?

Mama2Spencerninja

AliKatAK47
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Oh. I guess I read it wrong. Darn you brain, putting letters where they don't belong.

Quoting NewMom11222011:

It was actually excessive speech day, indicating that to advocate equality for LGBT was excessive speech (as I understood it).

Quoting AliKatAK47:

NewMom11222011
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Happens to me all the time, think nothing of it!

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Oh. I guess I read it wrong. Darn you brain, putting letters where they don't belong.

Quoting NewMom11222011:

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Mama2Spencerninja

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)