Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

ACLU backs off. Free speech entitles student to wear anti-gay t-shirt

School allows student to wear anti-gay T-shirt

Updated:   02/27/2013 12:22:18 AM EST

Wednesday February 27, 2013

WOLCOTT, Conn. (AP) -- Officials in a Connecticut school district have backed down in a fight over free speech rights, allowing a student to wear a T-shirt bearing an anti-gay message.

The lawyer for the school district this month wrote to the American Civil Liberties Union of Connecticut, saying Wolcott High School student Seth Groody may wear the T-shirt, which bears a slash mark through a rainbow. The other side showed a male and female stick figure holding hands above the message "Excessive Speech Day," the ACLU of Connecticut said.

The ACLU said Groody wore the shirt April 20, which was designated as a day of awareness of harassment toward gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.

Groody complied with an order from a school administrator that he remove his shirt and replace it with one depicting a Wolcott High School symbol, the ACLU said.

Sandra Staub, legal director of the ACLU of Connecticut, said the district’s reversal teaches students that the First Amendment "is not merely a theoretical discussion topic but a real and vital guarantee" of free speech rights.

The ACLU prepared a lawsuit to be filed in federal court demanding that the school district be stopped from enforcing its T-shirt ban and that no disciplinary measures be taken against Groody.

Without elaborating, school lawyer Christine Chinni wrote to the ACLU on Feb. 14, saying Groody may wear the T-shirt. She declined

to comment beyond what she wrote in the letter.

Edward Groody, Seth’s father, referred questions to the ACLU.

The ACLU disagrees "very strongly" with Seth’s views on gay rights, but its opinion has no bearing on his right to express those views, Staub said.

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/ci_22676439/school-allows-student-wear-anti-gay-t-shirt?source=most_viewed

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Replies (51-60):
romalove
by Roma on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:27 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting TranquilMind:

Yes...both are sexual practices involving, shall we say, nontraditional objects of attraction.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Ravishing_dame:

What's next, I'm going to have to tolerate pedophilia?  To hell with that

Is homosexuality and pedophilia in any way related?

Sad and sick that you would believe this.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:28 AM
There are LOTS of posts on CM about WBC and how their hatred should not be a protected right.

Quoting TranquilMind:

No one attempts to restrict the free speech rights of WBC, regardless of their opinions.  Because that's how a free society works. 

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Interesting...when the hate is against gays, it's OK but people get up in arms over Westboro Baptist Church's hate. Hate is hate.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
parentalrights1
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:28 AM
3 moms liked this

But you don't have to worry about that unless the country starts recognizing children in the same light as consenting adults, but I don't see that happening.

Maybe we just abolish straight marriage. It just leads to gay marriage, child marriage, and beastiality *eyeroll*

This has less to do with the idea of having to condone pedophelia and everything to do with excuses to keep holding gays back. People think gays are icky and that everyone should have to follow christian morals regardless of their own morals and pedophelia is just another strawman argument thrown out there.

Quoting TranquilMind:

They ARE coming out, objecting to the disdain against their practices.  After all, they were just born that way in being attracted to young bodies. 

Quoting Ravishing_dame:

Everyone's claiming they're sexual orientations, so yeah.  I'm told I have to TOLERATE homosexuality.  Since this country is so big on equality, pedophiles are next to come out, telling us to TOLERATE them.  It's bullshit

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Ravishing_dame:

jhslove
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:29 AM
2 moms liked this

I think the difference is that racist language is generally used to incite hate, whereas this T-shirt appears to simply reflect his view that homosexuality is wrong. If he had had a T-shirt on encouraging attacks against gays and lesbians, then it would have been a different issue, I believe.

For the record, I think the T-shirt is dispicable. But in this case, it sounds like he has the right to wear it just as much as a kid would have the right to wear a shirt with a rainbow symbol on it.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Free sppech? I thought free speech could be limited in schools? I wonder if this would have been the outcome if someone had worn a t-shirt with a racist message...

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:29 AM
2 moms liked this

Some here would support that. It sucks but if someone wants to display their hate I say let them. I like it when they point themselves out. It's good to know who the idiots are.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Would everyone agree with this kid's right to wear a KKK shirt in school?

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Research it, if you don't believe me.  There are activist groups now to advocate this sexual practice, because ...why not?  The door's been blown open now.  Once you open a door, you have to take the adverse consequences you have invited in.

No, they can't legally engage with underage victims, but they can promote the concept. 

Quoting krysstizzle:

Malarkey.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Yes...both are sexual practices involving, shall we say, nontraditional objects of attraction.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Ravishing_dame:

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Then what the helI is the point in freedom of speech

Quoting slashteddy:

Free speech should not cover hate speech.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
parentalrights1
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

It's sad I couldn't show a little of my beautiful top cleavage in high school but little bigot cunts get freedom to wear that shit lol.

parentalrights1
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:33 AM
2 moms liked this

It's amazing the bullcrap you people will try to blame on gays just to further your sick agenda.

They are promoting themselves, because they are pedophiles. Of course they're gonna want permission for that crap. That's why people don't consider children the same as consenting adults. This is so stupid.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Research it, if you don't believe me.  There are activist groups now to advocate this sexual practice, because ...why not?  The door's been blown open now.  Once you open a door, you have to take the adverse consequences you have invited in.

No, they can't legally engage with underage victims, but they can promote the concept. 

Quoting krysstizzle:

Malarkey.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Ravishing_dame:

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:33 AM
2 moms liked this

No, traditional marriage does not lead to any of these, as you well know, and as thousands of years have demonstrated.  Normalizing deviant sexual practices, however, does open the door in ways that will not be restrained over time. 

Quoting parentalrights1:

Maybe we just abolish straight marriage. It just leads to gay marriage, child marriage, and beastiality *eyeroll*

This has less to do with the idea of having to condone pedophelia and everything to do with excuses to keep holding gays back. People think gays are icky and that everyone should have to follow christian morals regardless of their own morals and pedophelia is just another strawman argument thrown out there.

Quoting TranquilMind:

They ARE coming out, objecting to the disdain against their practices.  After all, they were just born that way in being attracted to young bodies. 

Quoting Ravishing_dame:

Everyone's claiming they're sexual orientations, so yeah.  I'm told I have to TOLERATE homosexuality.  Since this country is so big on equality, pedophiles are next to come out, telling us to TOLERATE them.  It's bullshit

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Ravishing_dame:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)