Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ACLU backs off. Free speech entitles student to wear anti-gay t-shirt

School allows student to wear anti-gay T-shirt

Updated:   02/27/2013 12:22:18 AM EST

Wednesday February 27, 2013

WOLCOTT, Conn. (AP) -- Officials in a Connecticut school district have backed down in a fight over free speech rights, allowing a student to wear a T-shirt bearing an anti-gay message.

The lawyer for the school district this month wrote to the American Civil Liberties Union of Connecticut, saying Wolcott High School student Seth Groody may wear the T-shirt, which bears a slash mark through a rainbow. The other side showed a male and female stick figure holding hands above the message "Excessive Speech Day," the ACLU of Connecticut said.

The ACLU said Groody wore the shirt April 20, which was designated as a day of awareness of harassment toward gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.

Groody complied with an order from a school administrator that he remove his shirt and replace it with one depicting a Wolcott High School symbol, the ACLU said.

Sandra Staub, legal director of the ACLU of Connecticut, said the district’s reversal teaches students that the First Amendment "is not merely a theoretical discussion topic but a real and vital guarantee" of free speech rights.

The ACLU prepared a lawsuit to be filed in federal court demanding that the school district be stopped from enforcing its T-shirt ban and that no disciplinary measures be taken against Groody.

Without elaborating, school lawyer Christine Chinni wrote to the ACLU on Feb. 14, saying Groody may wear the T-shirt. She declined

to comment beyond what she wrote in the letter.

Edward Groody, Seth’s father, referred questions to the ACLU.

The ACLU disagrees "very strongly" with Seth’s views on gay rights, but its opinion has no bearing on his right to express those views, Staub said.

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/ci_22676439/school-allows-student-wear-anti-gay-t-shirt?source=most_viewed

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Replies (61-70):
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM
2 moms liked this

No we don't have to tolerate your intolerance that is the most ignorant thing I think the right wing has come up with. Calling others intolerant when they are called out on their hatred and racism lol.

Quoting TranquilMind:

True.  Something liberals despise, as tolerance runs only one way.

Quoting talia-mom:

because free speech isn't just for things you like.

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

I hope this is a private school. If this school recieves on dime in federal funding, and we have laws protecting the discrimination of people then I vote "NO." Why promote hate, and allow a student to do it under the guise of free speech?

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

No kidding.  To liberals, free speech is "speech that promotes only what I approve and silences my opponents".

Quoting talia-mom:

Then what the helI is the point in freedom of speech

Quoting slashteddy:

Free speech should not cover hate speech.

jhslove
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM
5 moms liked this

Since those who are against marriage equality are so fond of equating homosexuality with pedophilia, it apparently needs to be spelled out over and over again.....

The marriage-equality movement is asking for the right for any two CONSENTING ADULTS to get married. A child is not an adult and therefore cannot consent to a sexual relationship, therefore pedophilia has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion. Neither does bestiality (since, again, an animal cannot consent to a sexual relationship). All these arguments of "If the gays are allowed to marry, then what's next? Pedophilia and bestiality?" are not based in reality. We are talking about marriage rights between consenting adults .

I really don't know how many times it needs to be said before the point will finally get through people's heads. CONSENTING ADULTS. Not children, not animals, not trees, CONSENTING ADULTS.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Yes...both are sexual practices involving, shall we say, nontraditional objects of attraction.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Ravishing_dame:

What's next, I'm going to have to tolerate pedophilia?  To hell with that

Is homosexuality and pedophilia in any way related?

parentalrights1
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:35 AM

It probably would, but you don't have to worry about deviant sexual practices being normalized. Noones letting pedophiles get their way. Innocent children are involved and noone outside of pedophiles will ever vote to protect that crap.

Quoting TranquilMind:

No, traditional marriage does not lead to any of these, as you well know, and as thousands of years have demonstrated.  Normalizing deviant sexual practices, however, does open the door in ways that will not be restrained over time. 

Quoting parentalrights1:

Maybe we just abolish straight marriage. It just leads to gay marriage, child marriage, and beastiality *eyeroll*

This has less to do with the idea of having to condone pedophelia and everything to do with excuses to keep holding gays back. People think gays are icky and that everyone should have to follow christian morals regardless of their own morals and pedophelia is just another strawman argument thrown out there.

Quoting TranquilMind:

They ARE coming out, objecting to the disdain against their practices.  After all, they were just born that way in being attracted to young bodies. 

Quoting Ravishing_dame:

Everyone's claiming they're sexual orientations, so yeah.  I'm told I have to TOLERATE homosexuality.  Since this country is so big on equality, pedophiles are next to come out, telling us to TOLERATE them.  It's bullshit

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Ravishing_dame:

Is homosexuality and pedophilia in any way related?

Collier3
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:36 AM
3 moms liked this

If a school is going to promote LBGT awareness or what ever it was, then they have to also tolerate those who do not agree with their views and choose to express that disagreement. Be it by their words/actions or by the clothing they wear. This goes with anything the school may choose to get involved in, abortion, race, religion, etc. Personally I think that the school should not be promoting any issue that can be viewed as controversial. 

It amazes me, how those who do not agree with a view point (usually those who do not agree with politically correct views) are suppose to just keep their mouths shut. If they do speak up they are labeled as being hateful. Disagreeing with something does not always mean that the person is hateful.

parentalrights1
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:37 AM

No liberals are usually the first ones out defending the rights of their opponents to speak. Everytime I see an incident where some pro lifer has gotten attacked or whatever by a pro choicer, there's a liberal there to defend them and so on and so on.

Liberals will however, try to shut down hate speech and intolerance.

Quoting TranquilMind:

No kidding.  To liberals, free speech is "speech that promotes only what I approve and silences my opponents".

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting slashteddy:

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:37 AM
2 moms liked this

Lol.  This thread is a perfect example.

The liberals would be gushing with sweetness if they read that some kid wears his rainbow shirt to school and that the school permits it as free speech.  "Awww...isn't that so great".

But let some kid wear his "no rainbow" shirt to school and y'all are flipping out.

Tolerance runs only one way for you.    You have made my point perfectly.

Quoting mikiemom:

No we don't have to tolerate your intolerance that is the most ignorant thing I think the right wing has come up with. Calling others intolerant when they are called out on their hatred and racism lol.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

I hope this is a private school. If this school recieves on dime in federal funding, and we have laws protecting the discrimination of people then I vote "NO." Why promote hate, and allow a student to do it under the guise of free speech?

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Le sigh the ignorance on this board is mind boggling sometimes - Pedophilia is a violent acts against a child - homosexuality is the expression of love between two consenting adults. -not even remotely related.

Quoting Ravishing_dame:

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

They would be outraged if a child was told to remove a shirt that says "Jesus is a myth and God isn't real" and would demand that child be allowed to express his belief.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Lol.  This thread is a perfect example.

The liberals would be gushing with sweetness if they read that some kid wears his rainbow shirt to school and that the school permits it as free speech.  "Awww...isn't that so great".

But let some kid wear his "no rainbow" shirt to school and y'all are flipping out.

Tolerance runs only one way for you.    You have made my point perfectly.

Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

You are astonishingly inaccurate here.  The opposite is true.  Liberals try to shut down ANY speech that goes against the agenda...like here.  And millions of other examples out there.

It is the Constitutionalists, mostly on the Conservative end, that understand and promote free speech - NOT the liberals.

Quoting parentalrights1:

No liberals are usually the first ones out defending the rights of their opponents to speak. Everytime I see an incident where some pro lifer has gotten attacked or whatever by a pro choicer, there's a liberal there to defend them and so on and so on.

Liberals will however, try to shut down hate speech and intolerance.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting slashteddy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured