Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I started homeschooling... This is why.. Tell me if you would have done the same?!

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:29 PM
  • 126 Replies
2 moms liked this

I started homeschooling because the School my son went to wouldn't help him. He was failing math all 4 quarters last year, Failed science from second quarter on.. And by last quarter his social studies and Language arts was at 65's..

From week 5 on I begged for him to be put into remedial math for help.. NOPE.. The teacher kept saying "He just needs to try harder.." Each night we would do extra pages I printed off the computer from the Internet.. Because they didn't even have books.. She would simply print off ditto's for the class to work on..

I called a cse Meeting 3 times.. That didn't help either as they never communicated and atleast once canceled the meeting with out telling me or rescheduling one..

Then the final straw hit.. At the end of the the year I was sure they would hold him back so he could learn the material. NOPE! The teacher even told me.. I gave him the numerical grade so he could pass.. I WENT BELISTIC.. I wanted to punch her.. So they passed him from 3rd grade to 4th and guaranteed that he would not be able to do the work then either..

So I litterally went to the next PTA meeting told them in writing and passed out 100 packets to parents and teachers that were there on why the school failed my son and why I was pulling him from their care!

In the time since June..(I started him immediately in math to catchup) He has gone from 2nd grade comprehension of math - to doing some 6th grade work.. According to the public schools own testing... WHY? Because since my son had AN IEP.. They have used this to try to keep tabs on what I was teaching and how he was progressing. Under the guise that they were "worried about him falling behind." Which he had fallen behind with them.. so I know that is BULL CRAP!

But his reading comprehension has gone up..

His Social studies has been slowwww but in every other area he has made huge strides..

And I honestly like that they did the testing.. It proves to them that the problem wasn't with my son or me.. It was the school district screwing up!

I use www.clp.org

They are the christian version of Saxon .. I love the cyclical learning methods.. It ensures that the kids revisit each area frequently enough to not forget it..

Also I like the Language arts from clp.org..

SCIENCE AND READING from there aren't my favorite.. I like Christian Liberty Press's science and reading stuff!

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
delilahsmom1177
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I want to pull my DD out of school now. She is way beyond what they are "teaching" her and the ONE thing she is behind on(her writting) they do not work on extra with her. She is getting bored and is only in kindergarden. 

I'm a tattooed,bisexual,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I would never, ever home school. I was homeschooled 7-10 grade and I hated it.

AdellesMom
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I have yet to have that issue. My kids attend a private school, and I love it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JavaLadybug2
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

I want to pull my DD out of school now. She is way beyond what they are "teaching" her and the ONE thing she is behind on(her writting) they do not work on extra with her. She is getting bored and is only in kindergarden. 

My biggest advice is use a curriculum.. Don't try to wing it.. The whole point of a curriculum is to make sure you have all the bases covered.. You can always add to it.. or tweek it.. But using the curriculum makes it so much more "above board" and helps you and the kid to feel like there is a rhyme and a reason behind what is being done.. 

Also make sure whatever you do use.. Has a test that your child can take to make sure what things they need to be using.. As I have found that no curriculum is the same as any other.. So you have to know where in their curriculum you need to start.. 

kaylasmom22
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:37 PM
2 moms liked this
My question is this,what are you doing that is helping him in learning that the school wasn't? I know some kids need more a one on one interaction but you said you worked with him at home. So I don't get it why he couldn't learn in school.

By the way I thought of homeschooling dd for fear of bullies and cause of my anxiety but I didn't. I don't feel that I can teach her as well as the school cause I have no patience. Also dd was very shy and needed the exposure to other kids to become the social butterfly she is now
JavaLadybug2
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:38 PM

What about it did you hate? Was it the person teaching or the curriculum being used?

Or a combination of the two.. 

Remember what you experianced doesn't make all homeschooling bad.. It just means maybe it wasn't appropriate for you.. Or wasn't done correctly!

Quoting soonergirl980:

delilahsmom1177
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Thank you.

Quoting JavaLadybug2:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

My biggest advice is use a curriculum.. Don't try to wing it.. The whole point of a curriculum is to make sure you have all the bases covered.. You can always add to it.. or tweek it.. But using the curriculum makes it so much more "above board" and helps you and the kid to feel like there is a rhyme and a reason behind what is being done.. 

Also make sure whatever you do use.. Has a test that your child can take to make sure what things they need to be using.. As I have found that no curriculum is the same as any other.. So you have to know where in their curriculum you need to start.. 

I'm a tattooed,bisexual,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

kaylasmom22
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Why? I would like to hear what you hated cause from homeschooling moms point of view their kids love it

Quoting soonergirl980:

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:41 PM

My kids haven't had any issues in their current school system like this.  My son, who is now a freshman, had issues in middle school, and the school district and his teachers bent over backwards to help him succeed.  I'm very impressed with their school district. 

In another district we lived in when my kids were younger, they would pass kids all the time that had no business moving on.  I remember volunteering for my daughter's 4th grade classroom and I worked with 5 children each week on reading.  They were in 4th grade, but read on barely a 1st grade level.  I cannot comprehend why this is allowed to happen.

eema.gray
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I was homeschooled K thru 8. Loved it and did very well.
My so will go to public next year but my husband knows that homeschooling is always an option if the school is failing him during a particular year. Our state has an excellent virtual homeschool progeam available complete with numerous field trips and ark outings so if, by winter break a problem has not been resolved, I aill put him in the virtual program the rest of the year and try again the following year.
Having the option makes me feel much more easy about PS.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN