Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What if your kid brought home a letter from the school saying your kid was "FAT"?

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 3:10 PM
  • 613 Replies
1 mom liked this
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on Feb. 27, 2013 at 3:16 PM
23 moms liked this

Somehow this makes me very uncomfortable about them evaluating kids and making a diagnosis. I really feel this at the very least borders on violation of the 10th amendment as the right to who you see for medical diagnosis is transferred to the people not the state.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 3:24 PM
10 moms liked this

Agreed.  This is simply NOT the place of the school. School have absolutely NO business being involved with, participating in, or evaluating any individual's medical care. 

Quoting stormcris:

Somehow this makes me very uncomfortable about them evaluating kids and making a diagnosis. I really feel this at the very least borders on violation of the 10th amendment as the right to who you see for medical diagnosis is transferred to the people not the state.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 3:27 PM
12 moms liked this

this is not the school's business, they need to leave this up to the the child's doctor

Mommy2AlexAraya
by New Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 3:33 PM
6 moms liked this

This is a picture of my ds. I received a letter home from his school telling me that according to his bmi, he is morbidly obese. I know my son is not skinny but he is not obese either. I brought the letter in to his doctor who said not to worry about it. (Don't mind the huge water mark on the ceiling, this is not my house.)

JavaLadybug2
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 3:35 PM
10 moms liked this

I don't beleive in lawsuits for trivial shit.. But I would be HUGELY tempted!

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:49 PM
20 moms liked this
I'd be pissed! And even more so that they're basing their 'diagnosis' off the BMI charts. I feel those should be completely done away with.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I can't get that link to open

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:59 PM
14 moms liked this

Take it with a grain of salt.  BMI is wildely inaccurate for so many different reasons.  My son's BMI says he's obese.  He's hard packed muscle, and always has been.  He is not even close to being overweight.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:59 PM
84 moms liked this

Do you ladies get this upset when they check your kid's vision and hearing at school? Do you opt of out scoliosis checks too? Should you also forbid them from screening for learning disabilities and child abuse at home? These are commonly done in elementary schools, why should weight be any different?

To answer the OP, if my child brought home this letter, I would make an appt with their pedi to get them checked out. If everything was okay, I'd be relieved. On the offchance that my blowing my kids' obesity off as baby weight was wrong and this helped me understand there was a medical issue impacting my child's health, then it would have been worth it.

desertlvn
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:01 PM
6 moms liked this

I'd probably make a doctor's appointment and look into it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured