Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What if your kid brought home a letter from the school saying your kid was "FAT"?

Posted by   + Show Post
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Replies (531-540):
moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this
So did my mom which is why she didn't allow them to force medication on him. Well, sort of. She had to move him to another school because they pretty much refused to even educate him if she wouldn't medicate him.

Based on his success at a different school, I say they were just crummy teachers.

Quoting cjsbmom:

They get away with it because the parent doesn't know the school can't dictate medication usage. That's why it happens. Schools always will push the limit if they think they can. I have a child with special needs, so I know how they think. Been there, done that. But they don't like me, because I know the law and my son's rights. 

Quoting moneysaver6:

Perhaps they aren't supposed to, but many do. I know from personal experience.

Quoting cjsbmom:

Actually, they're not. It's a violation of FERPA. Unless the parent agrees to it and it's written into an IEP, teachers and schools don't get to decide if kids are on medication for anything. 

Quoting moneysaver6:

The problem is that no one argued when they starting doing checks for vision, hearing, & scoliosis. No one argued teachers & administrators were allowed to demand that kids be put on ADHD meds.

We've been on this slippery slope for a long time. Unfortunately, there comes a time where you're so far down that slope that you can't stop the fall.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Agreed.  This is simply NOT the place of the school. School have absolutely NO business being involved with, participating in, or evaluating any individual's medical care. 

Quoting stormcris:

Somehow this makes me very uncomfortable about them evaluating kids and making a diagnosis. I really feel this at the very least borders on violation of the 10th amendment as the right to who you see for medical diagnosis is transferred to the people not the state.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jalestra
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Guys, if the school is degrading your child's size using the BMI you can really raise some hell. That has NO medical or scientific validity. I know if I meet a doctor who says "BMI" I walk away. I don't want people that incompetent treating me.

lucsch
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:31 PM

How would that help my overweight child right now? It takes time to change the schools.

Besides, we are talking about a school blaming the parent for the child being overweight, not the other way around. Obviously, if they are sending a note home from school, they are expecting the parent to do something about it!

BTW, the schools have already changed their menus, thanks to Michelle Obama, and the kids won't eat the food. Google it! Our schools also still have P.E. classes.

I actually know a lot about nutrition, but solving weight issues cannot be simplified so easily. It is a social issue, a food supply issue, an lifestyle issue---and yes, even, a genetic issue. Some of these are impossible to change.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Seriously? It is frightening that someone would not know this. How about nutritional counseling for the child and/or family? How about start mandating the schools serve nutritious food? How about the fact that only around 33% of schools even offer phys Ed classes and of those 33% only around 20% participate? Look at Healthy People 2020 for the stats. There is a lot that can be done.

Quoting lucsch:

What would you do to slim down one of these obese children? Please give us a plan.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Childhood obesity is alarmingly high and dangerous. Obviously parents are not taking this issue seriously or there wouldn't be so many overweight kids. If the school wants to screen for this like they do eyes and hearing..

Oh well

Latinamom99
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Do you ladies get this upset when they check your kid's vision and hearing at school? Do you opt of out scoliosis checks too? Should you also forbid them from screening for learning disabilities and child abuse at home? These are commonly done in elementary schools, why should weight be any different?

I dont know where you get your information about  schools that check thier students for Scoliosis ,, the only test that a school CAN do are Vision , Hearing and for any issues of Learning disabilties.. the school dont have the medical clear to check for Scoliosis,, do you even know what that is.. and for that fact the schools dont "commonly "  check for this things

Two the Body index has change since 2012, they should up date thier information,plus the school can only  ask the parent  to have the child check with  thier doctors and have the Doctor document what is the right weight  for  him.

And no schools  screen for scoliosis.. that  only  doctor can do ..

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Do some research.. THey are starting to change and many many schools cut PE because of budget cuts. And it is slow so why not make the parents more aware?

Quoting lucsch:

How would that help my overweight child right now? It takes time to change the schools.

Besides, we are talking about a school blaming the parent for the child being overweight, not the other way around. Obviously, if they are sending a note home from school, they are expecting the parent to do something about it!

BTW, the schools have already changed their menus, thanks to
Michelle Obama, and the kids won't eat the food. Google it! Our schools
also still have P.E. classes.

I actually know a lot about nutrition, but solving weight issues cannot be simplified so easily. It is a social issue, a food supply issue, an lifestyle issue---and yes, even, a genetic issue. Some of these are impossible to change.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Seriously? It is frightening that someone would not know this. How about nutritional counseling for the child and/or family? How about start mandating the schools serve nutritious food? How about the fact that only around 33% of schools even offer phys Ed classes and of those 33% only around 20% participate? Look at Healthy People 2020 for the stats. There is a lot that can be done.

Quoting lucsch:

What would you do to slim down one of these obese children? Please give us a plan.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Childhood obesity is alarmingly high and dangerous. Obviously parents are not taking this issue seriously or there wouldn't be so many overweight kids. If the school wants to screen for this like they do eyes and hearing..

Oh well

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bmommyx2
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I think the schools need to mind their own business.  I take my son's to the pediatrician & any heath concerns are discussed with him & the schools should focus on education

lucsch
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:03 PM

But, I didn't ask how to change the schools. I am asking you for a plan to solve my child's weight problem, since the school expects me to do it. In your original post, you said, "Obviously parents are not taking this issue seriously or there wouldn't be so many overweight kids." Trust me, I do take it seriously; but everything I've tried as not worked. For my older kids, when they reached high school, THEY decided to take control of their eating problems and lack of exercise. They slimmed themselves down. Anything I did up to that point was counterproductive. Now, with my 10yo, I have spent the last 5 years trying different things, and nothing has worked! Help!

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Do some research.. THey are starting to change and many many schools cut PE because of budget cuts. And it is slow so why not make the parents more aware?

Quoting lucsch:

BTW, the schools have already changed their menus, thanks to
Michelle Obama, and the kids won't eat the food. Google it! Our schools
also still have P.E. classes.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting lucsch:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Oh well

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:03 PM

She should have filed a complaint against that school district. They violated FERPA big time. A public school cannot refuse to educate a child unless that child is harming himself or someone else. 

Quoting moneysaver6:

So did my mom which is why she didn't allow them to force medication on him. Well, sort of. She had to move him to another school because they pretty much refused to even educate him if she wouldn't medicate him.

Based on his success at a different school, I say they were just crummy teachers.

Quoting cjsbmom:

They get away with it because the parent doesn't know the school can't dictate medication usage. That's why it happens. Schools always will push the limit if they think they can. I have a child with special needs, so I know how they think. Been there, done that. But they don't like me, because I know the law and my son's rights. 

Quoting moneysaver6:

Perhaps they aren't supposed to, but many do. I know from personal experience.

Quoting cjsbmom:

Actually, they're not. It's a violation of FERPA. Unless the parent agrees to it and it's written into an IEP, teachers and schools don't get to decide if kids are on medication for anything. 

Quoting moneysaver6:

The problem is that no one argued when they starting doing checks for vision, hearing, & scoliosis. No one argued teachers & administrators were allowed to demand that kids be put on ADHD meds.

We've been on this slippery slope for a long time. Unfortunately, there comes a time where you're so far down that slope that you can't stop the fall.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Agreed.  This is simply NOT the place of the school. School have absolutely NO business being involved with, participating in, or evaluating any individual's medical care. 

Quoting stormcris:

Somehow this makes me very uncomfortable about them evaluating kids and making a diagnosis. I really feel this at the very least borders on violation of the 10th amendment as the right to who you see for medical diagnosis is transferred to the people not the state.

Latinamom99
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:04 PM

That is true you need to know your right if you have a child with learning disabilities .. you have the right to choose what is right for him or her..   the same with my kids old school they don't like me because I know what  my kids needed.. now I home school them and their doing better then they where in school ..plus the teacher didn't do a thing when my kids where bullied.. All they didn't just turn their  faces like nothing happens..

If you know your kids don't let someone else assume that they have one thing when they have no idea what is  wrong with them.. Only a doctor can   gives them a full evaluation, they cant tell you if they need medication or not ..  YOu can also go on barnes and noble and get IEP Parents right book.

4monkeykids
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:22 PM

2 of my kids have, I throw the letters out and talk to the doctor, none of my kids are mordily obese. Thier BMI is high due to muscle I wish they would actually measure % not just base it on height and weight.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)