Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What if your kid brought home a letter from the school saying your kid was "FAT"?

Posted by   + Show Post
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Replies (571-580):
nickysmom71
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I'd certainly tell them to kindly go shove that shit up their ass!!!

slynnb92
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:18 PM
I know I'm late on commenting on this and my situation is not the same. But the health dept told me my 19 month old DS was over weight. My kid hardly has a fat roll, maybe a pop by tummy from all the tea he drinks. But hes 3 feet tall and hes not even 2 yet, plus his dad is 6"5. I'd go ballistic on the school and ask them if they would like to raise them. No body has the right to judge a child.
presi2052
by New Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:30 AM

Child  obesity has many factors.  The kids spent to many hours in schools sitting down to take  "boring" lessons (classes), and then expected to do a couple more hours sitting to do their homework. That is no different from people that go to work and have a sedentary job. Their brain and body are craving for sugars/ carbs foods.   If you add the bad economy, and the little time we have to juggle our schedule, then the food we provide is not the best one (too many process food: simple carbs, fast food, high sodium, etc).

The school should concentrate in less academics and add a subject about "well being", which include to teach the kids about healthy choices, cooking and more exercise like yoga, relaxation and aerobics.  That will help the next generation to be healthier.  Other countries have it already, and that has not affected their academics, but improved.

The kids spent 10+ hours in school environment, plus about 6 hours of sleep, plus 2-4 hours of travel, which gave you about 5 hours for dinner, bathroom, and chores at home (if you dont have to send them to daycare).

The school systems is just spending the money in the wrong ideas and activities (lets add if you have to get the food at the school cafeteria, not a healthy one...)

..................... I do not have a solution, I don't like the school system and how our economy is forcing the middle class family to have two incomes and destroy the family at the same time.  Maybe going back to basics, and a more "simple/God oriented family" will help us.

witch_e_woman
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:14 AM

I see your point here. The schools should have classes to teach kids these things, however, most schools have cut most programs, this includes some sports programs. So, these kids are forced to sit around in school & at home playing video games, unless the kid is fortunate enough to have parents that have $ and can afford to put their kid into a sports program after school, most kids dont have a chance to move around like they should. 

Quoting presi2052:

Child  obesity has many factors.  The kids spent to many hours in schools sitting down to take  "boring" lessons (classes), and then expected to do a couple more hours sitting to do their homework. That is no different from people that go to work and have a sedentary job. Their brain and body are craving for sugars/ carbs foods.   If you add the bad economy, and the little time we have to juggle our schedule, then the food we provide is not the best one (too many process food: simple carbs, fast food, high sodium, etc).

The school should concentrate in less academics and add a subject about "well being", which include to teach the kids about healthy choices, cooking and more exercise like yoga, relaxation and aerobics.  That will help the next generation to be healthier.  Other countries have it already, and that has not affected their academics, but improved.

The kids spent 10+ hours in school environment, plus about 6 hours of sleep, plus 2-4 hours of travel, which gave you about 5 hours for dinner, bathroom, and chores at home (if you dont have to send them to daycare).

The school systems is just spending the money in the wrong ideas and activities (lets add if you have to get the food at the school cafeteria, not a healthy one...)

..................... I do not have a solution, I don't like the school system and how our economy is forcing the middle class family to have two incomes and destroy the family at the same time.  Maybe going back to basics, and a more "simple/God oriented family" will help us.

mikeysmom1980
by New Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:50 AM
This is precisely why when they sent home the letter about it, I refused to allow them to evaluate my son. It is your choice. Don't allow them to do the evaluation and then complain when you don't like the results. But my son is ADHD and underweight. If you take your child for regular well child visits with their pediatrician there is no need for the school to evaluate. The last thing I need is for my son to get more of a complex over being smaller than everyone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mikeysmom1980
by New Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Actually, I don't know if they still do it or not, but my school did scoliosis checks every year from about 4-5th grade. I hated it.

Quoting Latinamom99:

Do you ladies get this upset when they check your kid's vision and hearing at school? Do you opt of out scoliosis checks too? Should you also forbid them from screening for learning disabilities and child abuse at home? These are commonly done in elementary schools, why should weight be any different?

I dont know where you get your information about  schools that check thier students for Scoliosis ,, the only test that a school CAN do are Vision , Hearing and for any issues of Learning disabilties.. the school dont have the medical clear to check for Scoliosis,, do you even know what that is.. and for that fact the schools dont "commonly "  check for this things

Two the Body index has change since 2012, they should up date thier information,plus the school can only  ask the parent  to have the child check with  thier doctors and have the Doctor document what is the right weight  for  him.

And no schools  screen for scoliosis.. that  only  doctor can do ..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
robsgurl_23
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I would just make a note to talk to my kids doctor about it and see what their doctor says. 

kayceejane
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I would be raising hell on them judging his body. He is there to learn and they are not his doctor.

CityofRosesMama
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting kleea1969:

. Definitely no! What are you talking about? If a child has bruises and is being abused by their family we as a country need to protect the child. Being overweight can have many causes, just as bruises can. Parents could be neglectful by purposely feeding their children junk food, or they could be poor, or don't understand themselves. If that were the case the child needs help, but it's not the same thing. I feel sorry for kids who have parents that feed them all junk food. We saw a really overweight girl trying to sell girlscout cookies, while eating taco bell and drinking out of a mcdonalds cup. No one was buying any... My daughter was concerned about her not eating healthy. Schools can teach kids about healthy eating. There will always be lazy and neglectful parents, but there needs to be free choice for people, too. There's a balance.
kleea1969
by Kristine on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Quoting CityofRosesMama:

Quoting kleea1969:

. Definitely no! What are you talking about? If a child has bruises and is being abused by their family we as a country need to protect the child. Being overweight can have many causes, just as bruises can. Parents could be neglectful by purposely feeding their children junk food, or they could be poor, or don't understand themselves. If that were the case the child needs help, but it's not the same thing. I feel sorry for kids who have parents that feed them all junk food. We saw a really overweight girl trying to sell girlscout cookies, while eating taco bell and drinking out of a mcdonalds cup. No one was buying any... My daughter was concerned about her not eating healthy. Schools can teach kids about healthy eating. There will always be lazy and neglectful parents, but there needs to be free choice for people, too. There's a balance.

Free choice for what, allowing a child to be obese and risk serious health issues? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN