Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why do people act "ghetto?" Harsh Reality: Ghetto-Girl Mentality Has Little to Do With Economics, More About ‘Fitting In’

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:53 PM
  • 67 Replies

Harsh Reality: Ghetto-Girl Mentality Has Little to Do With Economics, More About ‘Fitting In’

Author : Christelyn Karazin

Hood-boogerism isn’t just a byproduct of the lower class, and I can prove it.

Yesterday I picked up Maxi Me and her bestie from high school. They were deep in exchanging gossip about a black girl who had a fist fight with a boy in Third Period.

“She was pounding on that guy!” said Maxi.

“Wait; I think I know the girl you’re talking about. Is she really fat and does she have a bunch of fake hair?” asked the friend.

“Yep, that’s her.”

Apparently the large and weaved high school girl walked passed a young white guy who called her a “she-man.” She chased him down, yelling obscenities and and promptly began to introduce her fists to his face. Two male teachers had to pull her off.

When I heard about that last thing, I couldn’t help but think to myself, two men had to pull a girl off a boy? Way to prove how masculine you really are, Boomquisha. As an aside, I can she how a girl being called a “she-man” could be hurtful, but when you respond to an insult like a man would, well…

I know what you’re thinking–this quick-to-fight attitude is less of a cultural issue and more of a economics issue, at least that’s what GAT-DL folks would like us to believe. But it’s probably not. Established only since 1985, The City of Temecula is virtually devoid of ghettos and low-income housing no children are bussed for miles and miles from some God-forsaken armpit. It is home of solid middle class, upper middle class and the wealthy one percent. Yet, Maxi Me bemoans about how the black people in her school are so hood that she has absolutely no interest at all in connecting with them. According to Maxi and her very blond bestie, the many of the black girls are loud, wear ill-fashioned weaves, and tend toward a more masculine toughness similar to what we’ve often discussed previously on this blog. Outside of the miniature knot of blackistani students, these girls are wholly rejected by virtually every other racial group on the campus. The black boys, however, seem to have an easier time of it, probably because black-boy swagger is fascinating to the high school children of yuppies. The black ghetto girls are relegated to only gaining the often fleeting and whimsical romantic attention of the other hood boys, while the the boys exercise their choices beyond racial lines–they can and will date any color.

And while the hood boys at my daughter’s school drool, pant and lust after Maxi (she is tall, slim with curves and absolutely stunning), she has absolutely no interest. Not because they are black, but because they are hood-boogerish. Early in the year Maxi had her first kiss with a biracial boy whose mother is black and father is white. Imagine that.

No doubt some folks who will read what I wrote will say I’m somehow to blame for my daughter’s rejection of the black people in her school and that my marriage to a white guy no doubt has caused Maxi to hate herself. I assure you that’s  not true. Her biological father, who is black, is educated, and his extended family includes lawyers, school administrators and executives. Maxi sees her share of successful and educated upwardly mobile black folks and navigates well in their world. What my daughter widely rejects is hood-boogerism, and she’s in the powerful position to be able to reject it because she has options. She can freely navigate between the white middle class and the black educated class who equally embrace her.

It’s sad to make predictions about the “she-male,” but it’s a good guess she’s going to have a harder time of it. While acting racthet in high school might be gaining them points with the ratchet hood crew, they’ll stay loosing in the widely vast global village. In ten years these same girls will be writing me, wondering why they can’t seem to “click” with men outside their race, despite a keen interest in them.

http://www.beyondblackwhite.com/harsh-reality-ghetto-girl-mentality-economics-fitting-in/

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:53 PM

bump

IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Someone had to say it...I guess.

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:09 PM
This article is horrible. She and her kids are no better for engaging in nasty gossip and trash talking this girl.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:10 PM
3 moms liked this

Sounds just like Real Housewives of New Jersey or Beverly Hills, High School Edition.  Sad that the writer's daughter seems as much of a judgy snob as her mom.  

I don't find the analysis or the dire predictions for the ghetto girls' future compelling.  If, as she insists, the kids in the school all come from solid middle class backgrounds, then despite their personal style, then they'll be off soon to college and careers.  Just like the punk-style kids with the safety pins in their cheeks from the '80s who now have jobs, 2.5 kids, a house in the burbs, and a couple of cars. 

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Quoting Jack_Squat:

This article is horrible. She and her kids are no better for engaging in nasty gossip and trash talking this girl.

Nobody is identifying anyone. 

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this
So what? If I heard my kid talking about another kid in that type of manner, my kid woukd get a lecture. Her snarky attitude negated everything she said, for me.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting Jack_Squat:

Nobody is identifying anyone. 

AdellesMom
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I stopped reading after this sentence "Yesterday I picked up Maxi Me and her bestie from high school," only to find that the author called the girl that beat up the guy "racthet," and not spelling it correctly it's "ratchet."I cannot take her seriously. She needs to check her grammar and punctuation before calling someone else ratchet. Besides, I'm pretty sure that she isn't an expert, and her "predictions" are based off of bullshit.

Also, it's not the "she-man's" fault that the little punk that called her out of her name can't fight. I can bet that no one else will "cross" her. lol
IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Wait, you said you stopped reading after the second sentence...How do you know whats through-out the article then? and all the way to the very end at that..eh she made a typo...

Quoting AdellesMom:

I stopped reading after this sentence "Yesterday I picked up Maxi Me and her bestie from high school," only to find that the author called the girl that beat up the guy "racthet," and not spelling it correctly it's "ratchet."I cannot take her seriously. She needs to check her grammar and punctuation before calling someone else ratchet. Besides, I'm pretty sure that she isn't an expert, and her "predictions" are based off of bullshit.

Also, it's not the "she-man's" fault that the little punk that called her out of her name can't fight. I can bet that no one else will "cross" her. lol

"Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone- except God"...Billy Graham
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:47 PM

This doesn't surprise me, coming out of Temecula, CA.

She and her mother, and the friends, are far worse than those they feel they are better than.

acrogodess
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this
That poor biracial girl doesn't realize just how racist her darling mother is. Boomquisha? I hope her darling holier than thou mini-me doesn't find her biracial little self on the wrong side of the tracks with a broken down car. I would hate to imagine what would happen if she faced real hoodrats and thugs. Smh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)