Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

BOB WOODWARD: A 'Very Senior' White House Person Warned Me I'd 'Regret' What I'm Doing

Posted by   + Show Post

Bob Woodward said this evening on CNN that a "very senior person" at the White House warned him in an email that he would "regret doing this," the same day he has continued to slam President Barack Obama over the looming forced cuts known as the sequester.

CNN host Wolf Blitzer said that the network invited a White House official to debate Woodward on-air, but the White House declined.

"It makes me very uncomfortable to have the White House telling reporters, 'You're going to regret doing something that you believe in,'" Woodward said.

"I think they're confused," Woodward said of the White House's pushback on his reporting.

Earlier today on MSNBC's "Morning Joe," Woodward ripped into Obama in what has become an ongoing feud between the veteran Washington Post journalist and the White House. Woodward said Obama was showing a "kind of madness I haven't seen in a long time" for a decision not to deploy an aircraft carrier to the Persian Gulf because of budget concerns.

The Defense Department said in early February that it would not deploy the U.S.S. Harry Truman to the Persian Gulf, citing budget concerns relating to the looming cuts known as the sequester.

"Can you imagine Ronald Reagan sitting there and saying, 'Oh, by the way, I can't do this because of some budget document?'" Woodward said on MSNBC

"Or George W. Bush saying, 'You know, I'm not going to invade Iraq because I can't get the aircraft carriers I need?'" Or even Bill Clinton saying, 'You know, I'm not going to attack Saddam Hussein's intelligence headquarters,' ... because of some budget document?"

Last weekend, Woodward called out Obama for what he said was "moving the goal posts" on the sequester by requesting that revenue be part of a deal to avert it.

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:37 AM
Replies (51-60):
pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Mature?  So now posting the issues or the facts of this administration is not being mature?  This administration lies on a daily basis and you would prefer to put your head in the sand and sing "La, La, La, La?"  Clinton was a crook, but a like-able crook in some respect....but at least he cared about the black community and the poor.  Obama has turned his back on the black community, lied to the American people over and over, placed people around him that are lacking of integrity and morals.  Don't act that these things are not happening and do not call anyone that brings these issues to light just because in your "opinion" this administration will go down in history as the most corrupt and disastrous presidency in history.

Quoting lga1965:

You know....nobody thinks that the President can do no wrong. He's not perfect. He's not "Our Savior". ( He seemed to be a better alternative to McCain-Palin in 2008 and better ,for sure, than Romney in 2012) Give us a great Republican candidate and maybe some of us will vote for him( or her )

But Candle always posts a negative post about him every day. Even if she has to search the archives of conservative sites to dig up something, she will post it. Every day.That is an obsession. It is serious hate for a man who isn't "the anti-christ" as some conservatives think he is.

We don't need that kind of silly thing. Lets be mature here.

motherslove82
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:12 AM
2 moms liked this
Bush couldn't have invaded Iraq without the ok of Congress. People like to forget that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this

If I recall correctly, the press was all over that piece.  And your below comment is wrong.  Novak got the info from Armitage about Plame.  Another issue on your below statement is that the former Prime Minister of Niger's statement about the Iraqi businessman is left for many debates. 

Quoting Donna6503:

Gee, I don't recall the right talking about integrity of reporting the news when Joseph Wilson wrote his report ten years ago about Iraq, Niger, and yellowcake uranium. In fact, didn't his wife get outed; by Cheney's chief of staff, from the CIA, as a "reward" for honest reported ... Or is it fair, to think of it as a threat.

Hmm, again politicians vs the press ... is nothing new.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Oh, she is now not suppose to report what is actually happening?!  You should apply to MSNBC or NBC.  You would fit in great there.  Or maybe put in a job applicant at the LA Times, Rolling Stone Magazine or better yet, how about 60 minutes since they too are getting good at not reporting TRUE facts.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Yep. But OP doesn't care, this is just another post to make everyone dislike and distrust the President. It's hardly news.

Quoting Donna6503:

This maybe a news flash, the war between the press and politicians is as old as our republic.

__Heather__
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't beleive God to be a mythical being personally, nor do I consider the POTUS to be a mythical being.  I'm saying the man and his administration have a God Complex and they work for us and spend our money...as I said they are a joke.

Quoting AdellesMom:

LOL!

No one thinks that the POTUS is a mythical being.

At least, I don't think they do.

Quoting __Heather__:

Agreed, and it appears to be a trend with this administration. More headlines out today that former Clinton administration aide Lanny Davis was similarly threatened.  My guess is more will be coming out of the woodwork soon.  The POTUS and his handlers have obviously lost their minds and think POTUS is God......

Quoting KamWorthy:

Yes, Mr. Woodward is certainly a threat to any administration given his record I'd say.

Quoting __Heather__:

Our POTUS is a joke and our media is a joke.  It's intriguing to see some old school journalists hitting back and it's also intriguing to see some of the mainstream media covering it.  The intent of the media should be to find news, get original sources, report the news, and help educate the masses. This has not been happening for YEARS.  As a graduate with a major in journalism, I can't stand ANY televised news.  All you get is a bunch of talk, commentary, etc. Where is the hard news people???!! News organizations should be investigative and serve as a check in the powers of the government, not be it's lapdog.

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:46 AM
The late Novak, even admitted that his info orginated from the very top of the administration. People know this was a political play.

Niger exports more then just uranium ... Like onions is an export of Niger. If you remember there was an "oil for food" exemption to the Iraq embargo. There is no proof that the meeting between Iraq and Niger was more then an issue on onions.

While, there is a speculation (even reasonable) that the meeting was more then just onions ... There was no proof; which was what Wilson's article was all about.

Also, there been about 15k tons of yellowcake uranium that been found in Iraq, after the fall of Baghdad ... Nobe of which can be traced to Niger.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

If I recall correctly, the press was all over that piece.  And your below comment is wrong.  Novak got the info from Armitage about Plame.  Another issue on your below statement is that the former Prime Minister of Niger's statement about the Iraqi businessman is left for many debates. 

Quoting Donna6503:

Gee, I don't recall the right talking about integrity of reporting the news when Joseph Wilson wrote his report ten years ago about Iraq, Niger, and yellowcake uranium. In fact, didn't his wife get outed; by Cheney's chief of staff, from the CIA, as a "reward" for honest reported ... Or is it fair, to think of it as a threat.

Hmm, again politicians vs the press ... is nothing new.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Oh, she is now not suppose to report what is actually happening?!  You should apply to MSNBC or NBC.  You would fit in great there.  Or maybe put in a job applicant at the LA Times, Rolling Stone Magazine or better yet, how about 60 minutes since they too are getting good at not reporting TRUE facts.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Yep. But OP doesn't care, this is just another post to make everyone dislike and distrust the President. It's hardly news.

Quoting Donna6503:

This maybe a news flash, the war between the press and politicians is as old as our republic.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
__Heather__
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Quoting lga1965:

You know....nobody thinks that the President can do no wrong. He's not perfect. He's not "Our Savior". ( He seemed to be a better alternative to McCain-Palin in 2008 and better ,for sure, than Romney in 2012) Give us a great Republican candidate and maybe some of us will vote for him( or her ) 

Yes, that is a major issue. Both sides offer no decent choices in the form of candidates.  Our political system is broken and the two party obsession in this country is absurd. I'm an independent with Libertarian leanings and haven't liked the options for candidates for the last few decades.  I voted 3rd party.  Maybe someday everyone will wake up to the idea that the candidates the "grand parties" bring forward for our consideration are typically puppets and beyond their talking points, VERY much are the same.  No one in Washington really wants to/ have the balls to fix what is wrong with this country. That's a fact.

But Candle always posts a negative post about him every day. Even if she has to search the archives of conservative sites to dig up something, she will post it. Every day.That is an obsession. It is serious hate for a man who isn't "the anti-christ" as some conservatives think he is.

Most sane Christians do NOT think Obama is the anti-Christ, he is too unpopular and incompetent to be a well-loved world leader and "savior" that the Bible describes.

We don't need that kind of silly thing. Lets be mature here.

__Heather__
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:41 AM

The real problem is that Woodward is exposing and has PROOF that the administration lied on multiple occasions and that the SEQUESTER WAS THE WHITE HOUSE'S IDEA.  Obama wanted negotiations to fail, and then when the economy tanks due to the fallout from government SLIGHTLY trimming it's spending, blame it all on the Republicans. The blame should be laid at his doorstep and he doesn't want the American public to know that....hence threatening emails, stonewalling reporters, yelling at reporters, etc. They call this transparency.  Sorry dude, but people are wise to your ticks and you are a bunch of thugs.  There is a reason a large majority of Americans feel our best days are behind us.  This government machine at all levels including Republicans, Congress, the Justice System, and sometimes the media is broken.  We are finacially broke as a people and as a country and Holder flies around on luxury jets to the tune of 11 million taxpayers dollars.  What hypocrits. That's why I call them a joke.

AMom29
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I love how the press was all foaming at the mouth over this until the e-mail was released and the context was revealed.  Then Woodward was on Morning Joe this morning claiming he never said he was threatened, that it was Politico's fault. 

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3036789/ns/msnbc_tv-morning_joe/

__Heather__
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I see what you are saying, may God have mercy on your soul and I pray that your heart softens toward Him.  No offense meant or taken. 

love you sign

Quoting AdellesMom:

You obviously didn't get what I was saying.

The POTUS doesn't have a "god complex."

You cannot have the complex of a mythical being.

Quoting __Heather__:

I don't beleive God to be a mythical being personally, nor do I consider the POTUS to be a mythical being.  I'm saying the man and his administration have a God Complex and they work for us and spend our money...as I said they are a joke.

Quoting AdellesMom:

LOL!

No one thinks that the POTUS is a mythical being.

At least, I don't think they do.

Quoting __Heather__:

Agreed, and it appears to be a trend with this administration. More headlines out today that former Clinton administration aide Lanny Davis was similarly threatened.  My guess is more will be coming out of the woodwork soon.  The POTUS and his handlers have obviously lost their minds and think POTUS is God......

Quoting KamWorthy:

Yes, Mr. Woodward is certainly a threat to any administration given his record I'd say.

Quoting __Heather__:

Our POTUS is a joke and our media is a joke.  It's intriguing to see some old school journalists hitting back and it's also intriguing to see some of the mainstream media covering it.  The intent of the media should be to find news, get original sources, report the news, and help educate the masses. This has not been happening for YEARS.  As a graduate with a major in journalism, I can't stand ANY televised news.  All you get is a bunch of talk, commentary, etc. Where is the hard news people???!! News organizations should be investigative and serve as a check in the powers of the government, not be it's lapdog.

lga1965
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/28/bob-woodward-emails-white-house-threat_n_2781052.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Bob Woodward may have thought that top White House economic adviser Gene Sperling was threatening him in an email exchange, but that's certainly not how Woodward responded to the email, Politico revealed Thursday.

Woodward made waves on Wednesday night when he took to CNN and Politico to accuse the White House of deploying heavy-handed tactics with him after he questioned the Obama administration's account of the negotiations over the looming budget sequester. Sperling -- who he did not name at the time -- had told him he'd "regret" moving forward with his narrative, Woodward said, making it clear that he saw this as a threat.

"It makes me very uncomfortable to have the White House telling reporters, you're going to regret doing something that you believe in," he told Wolf Blitzer. The White House told The Huffington Post that Sperling was merely trying to tell Woodward he would regret writing something that was inaccurate.

On Thursday morning, Politico released the text of the email exchange between Woodward and Sperling. The emails look to be a far cry from the kind of thuggery that Woodward implied.

Here's an excerpt from Sperling:

I apologize for raising my voice in our conversation today. I do understand your problems with a couple of our statements in the fall -- but feel on the other hand that you focus on a few specific trees that gives a very wrong perception of the forest. But perhaps we will just not see eye to eye here. But I do truly believe you should rethink your comment about saying saying that Potus asking for revenues is moving the goal post. I know you may not believe this, but as a friend, I think you will regret staking out that claim ... My apologies again for raising my voice on the call with you. Feel bad about that and truly apologize.

Woodward, who would later profess to be unnerved by Sperling's email, replied very calmly:

Gene: You do not ever have to apologize to me. You get wound up because you are making your points and you believe them. This is all part of a serious discussion. I for one welcome a little heat; there should more given the importance. I also welcome your personal advice

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)