Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

BOB WOODWARD: A 'Very Senior' White House Person Warned Me I'd 'Regret' What I'm Doing

Posted by   + Show Post

Bob Woodward said this evening on CNN that a "very senior person" at the White House warned him in an email that he would "regret doing this," the same day he has continued to slam President Barack Obama over the looming forced cuts known as the sequester.

CNN host Wolf Blitzer said that the network invited a White House official to debate Woodward on-air, but the White House declined.

"It makes me very uncomfortable to have the White House telling reporters, 'You're going to regret doing something that you believe in,'" Woodward said.

"I think they're confused," Woodward said of the White House's pushback on his reporting.

Earlier today on MSNBC's "Morning Joe," Woodward ripped into Obama in what has become an ongoing feud between the veteran Washington Post journalist and the White House. Woodward said Obama was showing a "kind of madness I haven't seen in a long time" for a decision not to deploy an aircraft carrier to the Persian Gulf because of budget concerns.

The Defense Department said in early February that it would not deploy the U.S.S. Harry Truman to the Persian Gulf, citing budget concerns relating to the looming cuts known as the sequester.

"Can you imagine Ronald Reagan sitting there and saying, 'Oh, by the way, I can't do this because of some budget document?'" Woodward said on MSNBC

"Or George W. Bush saying, 'You know, I'm not going to invade Iraq because I can't get the aircraft carriers I need?'" Or even Bill Clinton saying, 'You know, I'm not going to attack Saddam Hussein's intelligence headquarters,' ... because of some budget document?"

Last weekend, Woodward called out Obama for what he said was "moving the goal posts" on the sequester by requesting that revenue be part of a deal to avert it.

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:37 AM
Replies (61-65):
lga1965
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:16 PM

BUMP!

pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Ahhh...I am embarrassed, I didn't know that Novak passed away.  However, I question your opinion on "political play."  I believe there was a back-up story to authenticate it.  Regardless, there were "things" found it just wasn't what many thought it was. 

Quoting Donna6503:

The late Novak, even admitted that his info orginated from the very top of the administration. People know this was a political play.

Niger exports more then just uranium ... Like onions is an export of Niger. If you remember there was an "oil for food" exemption to the Iraq embargo. There is no proof that the meeting between Iraq and Niger was more then an issue on onions.

While, there is a speculation (even reasonable) that the meeting was more then just onions ... There was no proof; which was what Wilson's article was all about.

Also, there been about 15k tons of yellowcake uranium that been found in Iraq, after the fall of Baghdad ... Nobe of which can be traced to Niger.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

If I recall correctly, the press was all over that piece.  And your below comment is wrong.  Novak got the info from Armitage about Plame.  Another issue on your below statement is that the former Prime Minister of Niger's statement about the Iraqi businessman is left for many debates. 

Quoting Donna6503:

Gee, I don't recall the right talking about integrity of reporting the news when Joseph Wilson wrote his report ten years ago about Iraq, Niger, and yellowcake uranium. In fact, didn't his wife get outed; by Cheney's chief of staff, from the CIA, as a "reward" for honest reported ... Or is it fair, to think of it as a threat.

Hmm, again politicians vs the press ... is nothing new.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Oh, she is now not suppose to report what is actually happening?!  You should apply to MSNBC or NBC.  You would fit in great there.  Or maybe put in a job applicant at the LA Times, Rolling Stone Magazine or better yet, how about 60 minutes since they too are getting good at not reporting TRUE facts.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Yep. But OP doesn't care, this is just another post to make everyone dislike and distrust the President. It's hardly news.

Quoting Donna6503:

This maybe a news flash, the war between the press and politicians is as old as our republic.

pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Isn't it sad when the "other side" comes to the aid of a left winger when his so called friends turn their backs on him????

Quoting spotsmom:

Yeah...Politico just released the email exchange between the two and it was NOTHING like Woodward implies. Nothing. After Sterling states "I know you may not beleive this, but as a friend, I think you will regret staking out that claim...My apologies again for raising my voice on the call with you. Feel bad about that and truly apologize." Bob woodward replies "Gene: You do not ever have to apologize to me. You get wound up because you are making your points and you believe them. This is all part of a serious discussion. I for one welcome a little heat; there should more given the importance. I also welcome your personal advice." That doesn't sound like a man who feels like he was just threatened and intimidated, and Sterling certainly doesn't sound like he's MAKING any threats, just advising a friend against a bad move. I have no idea why Woodward would want to misrepresent what was said, other than to get some publicity and be to show up on O'Reilly and Hannity, but he clearly has done so. Clearly. So this appears to be a complete NON-ISSUE. 

lga1965
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:34 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/28/bob-woodward-emails-white-house-threat_n_2781052.html

Bob Woodward may have thought that top White House economic adviser Gene Sperling was threatening him in an email exchange, but that's certainly not how Woodward responded to the email, Politico revealed Thursday.

Here's an excerpt from Sperling:

I apologize for raising my voice in our conversation today. I do understand your problems with a couple of our statements in the fall -- but feel on the other hand that you focus on a few specific trees that gives a very wrong perception of the forest. But perhaps we will just not see eye to eye here. But I do truly believe you should rethink your comment about saying saying that Potus asking for revenues is moving the goal post. I know you may not believe this, but as a friend, I think you will regret staking out that claim ... My apologies again for raising my voice on the call with you. Feel bad about that and truly apologize.

Woodward, who would later profess to be unnerved by Sperling's email, replied very calmly:

Gene: You do not ever have to apologize to me. You get wound up because you are making your points and you believe them. This is all part of a serious discussion. I for one welcome a little heat; there should more given the importance. I also welcome your personal advice.

I guess it wasn't such a big deal after all.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Isn't it sad when the "other side" comes to the aid of a left winger when his so called friends turn their backs on him????

Quoting spotsmom:

Yeah...Politico just released the email exchange between the two and it was NOTHING like Woodward implies. Nothing. After Sterling states "I know you may not beleive this, but as a friend, I think you will regret staking out that claim...My apologies again for raising my voice on the call with you. Feel bad about that and truly apologize." Bob woodward replies "Gene: You do not ever have to apologize to me. You get wound up because you are making your points and you believe them. This is all part of a serious discussion. I for one welcome a little heat; there should more given the importance. I also welcome your personal advice." That doesn't sound like a man who feels like he was just threatened and intimidated, and Sterling certainly doesn't sound like he's MAKING any threats, just advising a friend against a bad move. I have no idea why Woodward would want to misrepresent what was said, other than to get some publicity and be to show up on O'Reilly and Hannity, but he clearly has done so. Clearly. So this appears to be a complete NON-ISSUE. 

pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 6:37 AM

I repeat again...."Isn't it sad when the "other side" comes to the aid of a left winger when his so called friends turn their backs on him????"  Even you got on the typical liberal band wagon of slash and burn.  Some of you remind me of that episode on Sponge Bob where the pickle tries to take over the Crabby Patty and all of the ocean critters are brainwashed walking around like a zombie with cans on their heads and chanting the same things such as "Obama is great, Obama does no wrong, Obama is great......."

Quoting lga1965:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/28/bob-woodward-emails-white-house-threat_n_2781052.html

Bob Woodward may have thought that top White House economic adviser Gene Sperling was threatening him in an email exchange, but that's certainly not how Woodward responded to the email, Politico revealed Thursday.

Here's an excerpt from Sperling:

I apologize for raising my voice in our conversation today. I do understand your problems with a couple of our statements in the fall -- but feel on the other hand that you focus on a few specific trees that gives a very wrong perception of the forest. But perhaps we will just not see eye to eye here. But I do truly believe you should rethink your comment about saying saying that Potus asking for revenues is moving the goal post. I know you may not believe this, but as a friend, I think you will regret staking out that claim ... My apologies again for raising my voice on the call with you. Feel bad about that and truly apologize.

Woodward, who would later profess to be unnerved by Sperling's email, replied very calmly:

Gene: You do not ever have to apologize to me. You get wound up because you are making your points and you believe them. This is all part of a serious discussion. I for one welcome a little heat; there should more given the importance. I also welcome your personal advice.

I guess it wasn't such a big deal after all.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Quoting spotsmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)