Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I've never seen one before...Thought it was interesting and cool!

The rainbow eucalyptus brings art to nature, naturally

By: Shannon Dybvig

Looking for a bright spot after the monotone winter months? Then set your color-starved eyes on the rainbow eucalyptus. These wild trees might look like a conceptual art installation, but those vibrant hues are all nature made. The only eucalyptus variety native to the northern hemisphere, these trees are cultivated around the world as crowd-pleasing arboretum bait as well as for wood pulp used in paper making. The color of the bark is actually an indication of age. The youngest bark is bright green and matures through a color wheel of purples, oranges, and maroons. And while they look whimsical, they're serious trees. The rainbow eucalyptus can grow to be 240 feet tall and nearly 8 feet in diameter. Check out this spectrum-spanning flora below.

Rainbow eucalyptuses are also known by the names "Mindanao gum" and "rainbow gum."
Image by WikiCommons

These trees can grow to be 240 feet tall and nearly 8 feet in diameter. Image by Andy Simonds

Rainbow eucalyptus is the only variety of eucalyptus native to the northern hemisphere.
Image by WikiCommons

While cultivated all around the world, the rainbow eucalyptus' natural distribution spans Indonesia and South East Asia. Image by Harry Alverson

Different colors indicate the age of the bark. The youngest bark is bright green while the oldest is orange or maroon. Image by Back to Earth - Artworks

These trees are pretty tolerant to all types of environments and will grow in a good variety of climates and soils as long as there is no frost or prolonged flooding. Image by Roberto Verzo

Rainbow eucalyptuses are grown decoratively as well as for wood pulp used in making paper.
Image by Cody Perhamus

Even though they're evergreen, the constant sloughing of the color-morphing bark means no tree ever looks the same for long. Image by Spencer9

"Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone- except God"...Billy Graham
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Replies (11-20):
IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Oh dear Lord...what is that? lol

Quoting krysstizzle:

l love these trees. So beautiful.

I think nature made them to make up for this: ;)

"Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone- except God"...Billy Graham
krysstizzle
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Isn't it just awful? lol 

It's a parasitic crustacean, the tongue eating isopod, a.k.a. Cymothoa exigua.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Quoting krysstizzle:

snip

.Lovemythree.
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Pretty! 

IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Yikes! It looks like a mutant ninja inside the mouth!

Quoting krysstizzle:

Isn't it just awful? lol 

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Quoting krysstizzle:

snip

krysstizzle
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Ha! It does! How funny. 

They enter through a fishes gills when they're young, then one attaches itself to the tongue of the fish and sucks the blood. Eventually, the fish's tongue will just fall off, and then they use the parasite as a stand-in tongue. It's just so bizarre. 

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Isn't it just awful? lol 

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Quoting krysstizzle:

snip

IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Truly bizarre! lol These things must have some good purpose..right? I'll have to hit up google.. I hope I never catch a fish with THAT for a tongue!!! lol
Quoting krysstizzle:

Ha! It does! How funny. 

They enter through a fishes gills when they're young, then one attaches itself to the tongue of the fish and sucks the blood. Eventually, the fish's tongue will just fall off, and then they use the parasite as a stand-in tongue. It's just so bizarre. 

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Isn't it just awful? lol 

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Quoting krysstizzle:

snip

Des10ed2b
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:12 PM

wow. that is gorgeous! i would love to have one!

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:20 PM

That is awesome. Wish I could get one to grow here.

123Kathy
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Neat, Thank You sharing with us :-)

IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:40 PM

You're welcome... I would LOVE to see a glimpse of what creation looked like before we mucked it up.. There is so much beauty out there I haven't seen..I want too see it all!

Quoting 123Kathy:

Neat, Thank You sharing with us :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)