Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Maryland Senate Passes Gun Control Bill!!

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:13 PM
  • 28 Replies

YAY!!! 

Maryland Senate passes gun-control bill

Bill includes fingerprint requirement, addresses mental illness concerns

Published  12:59 PM EST Feb 28, 2013
WBAL-TV/David Collins

ANNAPOLIS, Md. —The Maryland Senate has passed a comprehensive gun-control measure.

The Senate voted 28-19 Thursday in favor of the bill, which has a licensing requirement for handgun buyers to submit fingerprints to state police. The provision is intended to reduce the number of guns purchased by a friend or family member of someone who is not allowed to own a gun.

The House of Delegates will work on the bill next.

The measure, which has been proposed by Democratic Gov. Martin O'Malley, also has elements to address concerns about firearms access for people with mental illnesses. It prohibits anyone who has been involuntarily committed due to mental illness from possessing a firearm.

The bill also bans assault-style weapons, as a federal assault weapon ban did before expiring in 2004.

Read more:http://www.wbaltv.com/news/politics/Maryland-Senate-passes-gun-control-bill/-/9379266/19123440/-/7y1gry/-/index.html#ixzz2MDbFZ0JB
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

How does the finger prints and mental health portions help? 

IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Yet no ID to vote..

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:25 PM
2 moms liked this

The Senate voted 28-19 Thursday in favor of the bill, which has a licensing requirement for handgun buyers to submit fingerprints to state police. The provision is intended to reduce the number of guns purchased by a friend or family member of someone who is not allowed to own a gun.

Great...so now my extended family that lives in the sewers would make ME a target if I wanted to purchase guns. Sounds like yet another reason to NOT encourage family members to see mental health care.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

greenie63
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Good question I guess we need more details. 

Quoting stormcris:

How does the finger prints and mental health portions help? 

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:32 PM

If it passes I will just choose not to go to that state.

BaltimoreBaby
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:36 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm glad. I've witnessed too many drive-bys and violence. Twice while I was pregnant. Once when she was with me, and I was driving us home.

The youth I work with have had too many family members and friends killed. I've personally lost a student to a drive-by. Guns are too accessible here, and there certainly aren't many gun-totin' do-gooders willing to walk the streets of east and west Baltimore. 

This is justice. Or at least the beginnings. 

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Glad I don't live in that state.

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:41 PM
4 moms liked this

Yes because those committing drive-bys are totally going to stop buying illegal guns. Hey if no one else is armed maybe they will just lay down their guns right there on the capitol.

Quoting BaltimoreBaby:

I'm glad. I've witnessed too many drive-bys and violence. Twice while I was pregnant. Once when she was with me, and I was driving us home.

The youth I work with have had too many family members and friends killed. I've personally lost a student to a drive-by. Guns are too accessible here, and there certainly aren't many gun-totin' do-gooders willing to walk the streets of east and west Baltimore. 

greenie63
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:42 PM

You aren't kidding!  Where in bmore are you from? 

Quoting BaltimoreBaby:

BaltimoreBaby
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Quoting greenie63:

You aren't kidding!  Where in bmore are you from? 

Quoting BaltimoreBaby:

I was born in Butchers Hill. I was living in Bolton Hill while pregnant and during the first few months my child was born. Now I am a SAHM living just outside the city lines, in Catonsville.

i worked in East Baltimore, near Johns Hopkins East. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)