Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm the child of a gay parent.......

Posted by   + Show Post

ASK ME ANYTHING!

There seems to be much debate over the well being of kids of gay parents..my mother got into a relationship with a woman when I was 12, my brothers were 7 and 2. My bio father was s shitty husband and father. My stepmother treat my mother with love and respect and I believe my brothers and myself have a very healthy outlook on relationships.. I was also raised in a very small, Christian town in the south...and no, I am not gay or "want" to be gay or have ever "wanted" to be with another woman. I was never directly or indirectly "taught" to be gay, I was however taught to love and respect who you are with. I found my husband, fell in love with my husband, and we have a very good marriage.

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Replies (61-70):
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Quoting Dee0886:

Sausage...isn't it obvious?

Quoting toomanypoodles:

What do you like on your pizza?

Ew. 

But I should have known.  ;)

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:03 PM

my nieces and nephews (8) have parents that were in a (forget the new name) three way relationship...2 women and father.

They all have issues ranging from anger issues to homophobics.  It was NOT a healthy relationship.

oh the parents all loved one another...too much, too selfish and the kids paid the price.

Im sure there are gay relationships like your own where the kids have grown up happy.  I know of two relationships all with grown kids and they have emotional issues that IMO point directly at the relationship being gay.  Having said that....I know PLENTY of hetero relationships that have messed up adult kids. 

IMO you can mess your kids up in so many ways it really doesnt matter if you are gay or straight...as long as you realise what unique experiences your child will come into contact with is how you have IMO a responsibility to your children to recognise them and nip them in the bud. 

AuntieL333
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I am one of four kids, the oldest. I am also the only gay one. I was raised in a straight home so that whole nature versus nurture thing goes right out the window. I applaud this kid and  her family.

witch_e_woman
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Glad to see this. I'm a lesbian mom & raised both my kids w/my partner & they too have very healthy, productive lives now. I'm proud of both my kids, to to see them have such wonderful lives as young adults makes me feel good to know we didnt f'd-up their lives like some ppl assumed we would.

Dee0886
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, as my mother would say "I woulda f*cked up your life just as much married to a man as I have being with a woman" lol...which is true. I can't imagine my insecurities if she stayed with my alcoholic, unfaithful father..smh

Quoting witch_e_woman:

Glad to see this. I'm a lesbian mom & raised both my kids w/my partner & they too have very healthy, productive lives now. I'm proud of both my kids, to to see them have such wonderful lives as young adults makes me feel good to know we didnt f'd-up their lives like some ppl assumed we would.

LavenderMom23
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:21 PM
If you turned out okay it was because you fell into a minority not a majority statistic. Flukes happen
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LavenderMom23
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:21 PM
If you turned out okay it was because you fell into a minority not a majority statistic. Flukes happen
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FrogSalad
by Sooze on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I was one of six kids (2 step, 4 bio) raised by a straight mom and (then closeted) transgender dad.  None of us kids are gay or trans.

IvoryIris
by New Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I am one that is pushing for gay couples to adopt.  Love the courage people like you have, sharing how your family isn't different from those of us in a heterosexual relationship =).

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:58 PM

What is your favorite flavor of pie? I love pie... and cupcakes. Do you like cupcakes? :3

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured