Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What influence to parents have on their child's sexuality? S/O

Posted by   + Show Post

What influence do you think a parent/s have on their child's sexuality?

Why do you think it?

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Replies (41-44):
desertlvn
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:42 AM

No, it is incredibly written.. It comes from a mother who was shocked when her daughter got hit with the Disney Princess marketing. Her research is eye opening. The disney princess thing wasn't marketed until 2000, and the money involved is staggering. The author isn't judgmental of parents, rather she is great at showing how difficult it is to raise healthy, strong, thoughtful, yet female girls. 

Quoting tscritch:

Looks like I need to check this book out! I have 3 daughters, should I be scared? lol

Quoting desertlvn:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Read the book "Cinderella Ate My Daughter" it has very interesting imformation about gender roles.

I loved this book. It was so straightforward and down to earth. I recommend it as well.

tscritch
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Sounds like a very eye opening book! I think I need to read it.

Quoting desertlvn:

No, it is incredibly written.. It comes from a mother who was shocked when her daughter got hit with the Disney Princess marketing. Her research is eye opening. The disney princess thing wasn't marketed until 2000, and the money involved is staggering. The author isn't judgmental of parents, rather she is great at showing how difficult it is to raise healthy, strong, thoughtful, yet female girls. 

Quoting tscritch:

Looks like I need to check this book out! I have 3 daughters, should I be scared? lol

Quoting desertlvn:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Read the book "Cinderella Ate My Daughter" it has very interesting imformation about gender roles.

I loved this book. It was so straightforward and down to earth. I recommend it as well.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:57 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't think that parenting has an impact on sexual orientation. I do think that we have a huge impact on the healthy vs unhealthy expression of sexuality. I don't think that our parenting has an impact on gender identity. I do think that we can manage the socialization of gender, however.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AuntieL333
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I think they have none. I was raised in a straight household with straight parents and straight siblings and I am a proud lesbian. A child will be who that child is regardless of parental feelings on the issue.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)