Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why was this shirt banned?

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:35 PM
  • 11 Replies
Ohio teen sues school for banning his 'Jesus is not a Homophobe' T-shirt

Freedom of expression has its limits...at least according to one Ohio school district who banned a gay student from wearing a t-shirt that says "Jesus is not a Homophobe".

And now they face a lawsuit filed against them for banning the shirt.

The mother of 16-year-old Maverick Couch filed the federal lawsuit on his behalf against Wayne Local School District and the principal of Waynesville High School, northeast of Cincinnati.

Couch is a junior at the public school. His lawsuit says he’s been threatened with suspension if he wears a shirt bearing the message “Jesus Is Not a Homophobe.” The t-shirt, as MSNBC notes, is “emblazoned with a colorful logo of a fish traditionally used as a Christian symbol, as well as the slogan in large bold text.”

Couch told the Cincinnati Enquirer, that the shirt is designed to show support for the "Day of Silence," on April 20, a national event that puts a spotlight on how bullying keeps gay and lesbian students from speaking out.

He says school officials said the shirt was “indecent and sexual in nature.”

Christopher Clark, Couch’s attorney, said the family for months tried to settle the dispute but school officials would not change their minds.

"I do think what the school is doing is bullying," Clark told the Enquirer. "They’re trying to shame him into not wearing this shirt.”

Wayne Local Schools Superintendent Patrick Dubbs told msnbc.com that the district has not yet reviewed the contents of the federal lawsuit and thus cannot comment at this time.

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I don't know maybe its some of the more tight arsed conservative Christians within the school who have an issue with and and posed a hissy fit.. It's a shame because Freedom of speech and all that and Its the Gods Honest truth Jesus wasn't a Homophobe just some of his so called followers are.

ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this

While I agree with the shirt I don't agree with it at school. School is not the place to wear things that cause controversy. 

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:46 PM
2 moms liked this
I see nothing wrong with the shirt.

This is no more "sexual" in nature than pants with Juicy on the ass.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
flprincessmom
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:58 PM

I see nothing wrong with the shirt.....schools are going over & beyond with the banning of stuff.....my son was suspended for wearing his Rosary!!!!  Freedom of speech & religion...hello!!!

steffielou_who
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:01 PM
How is the shirt sexual??? It is a Christian fish!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steffielou_who
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Apparently homophobe is a sexual word..

Not to me! When I think sexual, homophobe does not come to mind!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Because it's grammatically incorrect.

It should read, "Jesus was not a homophobe".

Aslen
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:06 PM

it's true. Jesus WASN'T a homophobe

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I believe the kid with line thru the rainbow shirt was finally allowed to wear his correct? And I think he should be able to. I also believe this kid should be able to wear his. 

Lunarprancer
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I sort of lean toward school being a place where ideas are challenged and thought is encouraged.  I get what you mean though.

Quoting ReginaStar:

While I agree with the shirt I don't agree with it at school. School is not the place to wear things that cause controversy. 

With light and love

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured