Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

S/O - child fat post

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 5:44 AM
  • 116 Replies
2 moms liked this
Ok. For all this who think it is the parents job to figure out if their child is fat.... Why are so many kids obese if parents are doing their job? Do you think parent should be held accountable? Do you think a child has the right to a healthy start in life or if the parents don't give a shit the child should just suffer all in the name of parents having "rights"? When are we going to stop worrying about hurting parents feelings and start worrying about the health of children?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 5:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Mar. 1, 2013 at 5:48 AM
4 moms liked this

someone can tell me my childs fat......and then what?

How many people / parents are going to act on that....especially if they are fat themselves. 

Informing people and educating them is a better route....worrying about a parents feelings shouldnt be part of the equation...but neither is squashing their feelings in order to "parent" their kids.

some stranger telling my kid that theyre fat is OVERSTEPPING.  Giving me the note with the results (or sending a letter separate of the school system) is fine. 

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 5:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree. I think PE should be mandatory and not stricken with budget cuts. I think schools should be forced to serve nutritious lunches and kids should be really educated on healthy eating. And not just show them a food pyramid chart.

Quoting turtle68:

How many people / parents are going to act on that....especially if they are fat themselves. 

Informing people and educating them is a better route....worrying about a parents feelings shouldnt be part of the equation...but neither is squashing their feelings in order to "parent" their kids.

some stranger telling my kid that theyre fat is OVERSTEPPING.  Giving me the note with the results (or sending a letter separate of the school system) is fine. 

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:01 AM

I thought they still did all that?  I dont know about the US.  PE is mandatory up until grade9 and then is an elective for the senior years.  Health is a component of the PE classes...which also includes healthy eating.

So if you dont have that....how the hell do they manage to fit in and pay for a BMI testing station at the school.  Seems very backward.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

I agree. I think PE should be mandatory and not stricken with budget cuts. I think schools should be forced to serve nutritious lunches and kids should be really educated on healthy eating. And not just show them a food pyramid chart.

Quoting turtle68:

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:30 AM
1 mom liked this
No, according to Healthy People 2020 only 33% of schools offer PE. And health classes here are a joke. They are not realistic. That is why I think parents need to get their head out of their assess and stop worrying about their "rights" and start worrying about the obesity epidemic they created

Quoting turtle68:

I thought they still did all that?  I dont know about the US.  PE is mandatory up until grade9 and then is an elective for the senior years.  Health is a component of the PE classes...which also includes healthy eating.

So if you dont have that....how the hell do they manage to fit in and pay for a BMI testing station at the school.  Seems very backward.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting turtle68:

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:37 AM
2 moms liked this

We should be able to talk to parents about tier child's health with out shaming them or hurting their feelings. My team of bad ass early head start home visitors do it every single day.

On the flip side, some parents really need to get their heads out of the sand.

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:40 AM
2 moms liked this

And, PE should be FUN!  No boring calisthenics, but games that get the kids running, moving and heart rate up.  

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting turtle68:

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:09 AM
I agree. Things like Pilates and yoga would also be fun for older kids

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

And, PE should be FUN!  No boring calisthenics, but games that get the kids running, moving and heart rate up.  

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting turtle68:

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Here in MB gym is mandatory through grade 12, and at the high school level includes classroom time learning about healthy eating and healthy lifestyle, as opposed to just making kids run around the gym.

We also have rules and guidelines about what foods we can serve in our schools. I, as a parent, can send whatever unhealthy crap I want. But as a school employee, helping prepare food for our canteen, there are rules we have to follow about fats, etc.

It does seen hypocritical to send home letters about kids weight when cafeterias are serving absolute crap and kids get little to no gym time.

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting turtle68:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SnarkyMama
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:10 AM
2 moms liked this

My elem. kids have PE 2xweek.  Middle school has it everyday, and High school is only requiring 1 credit or 1 year of PE in the entire 4 years. 

I think PE should be mandatory daily at all ages.  I also think schools should serve not only NUTRITIOUS meals but non PROCESSED meals.  Fake and fat free is just as bad, if not worse than junk food.  Real/fresh/whole is ALWAYS better.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:10 AM
5 moms liked this

Parents see their kids as a reflection of themselves....so if you imply their kid is less then perfect, they internalize it as a slight against them too. In this world of 'being happy is all that matters' mentality, offending the parents makes them act like an ass much of the time.

Its not really the kid's self esteem they're worried about, its their own. People seem to have lost the ability to accept constructive criticism but even more importantly, they can't seem to figure out how to turn it into a positive thing.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)