Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ok. For all this who think it is the parents job to figure out if their child is fat.... Why are so many kids obese if parents are doing their job? Do you think parent should be held accountable? Do you think a child has the right to a healthy start in life or if the parents don't give a shit the child should just suffer all in the name of parents having "rights"? When are we going to stop worrying about hurting parents feelings and start worrying about the health of children?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 5:44 AM
Replies (111-116):
krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Repeat x10000

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Apparently and probably why we are the fattest country in the world.

Quoting Sisteract:

Clearly, weight is a touchy subject for many-

I think we are the fattest country in the world because we are the most disconnected from whole foods and natural food sources.  We eat processed and packaged and refined crap because it is easy and cheap.  We don't have any connection with farm or dairy or anyplace that the food comes from, we buy it from commercial stores and don't have any idea the chemicals and how the processing itself can change the consistency of the foods we eat.  

We also don't put food and eating in proper place, which is for nutrition and also on occasion for celebration.  We have it as an all day, all you can eat, stuff it in your face, bigger is better, and cheaper is better still, extravaganza.  

Teaching actual nutrition, obtaining foods as close to their source and with as little processing as possible, and putting food back to where it belongs, as nutrition, would go a long way towards solving the obesity problem.

JMO

alimorgan
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Our school district has gym class, not on a daily basis, my DD's elementary school stops recess at 2nd grade, if the children do not have gym they don't get exercise! They do serve a healthier menu, there is always fruit and veggies and the children have to take at least one veggie and one fruit or they have to go back into the line, they offer healthier choices of hamburgers they are served on whole wheat buns, they always have salad offered as a choice and the veggies are all steamed no salt no flavoring of any kind, I can say some of the food tastes horrible! I can see why my daughter won't eat on hamburger days they taste like cardboard. But the point is they have adopted the healthy menu.

Since there is not as much running around as I would like at my DD's school she is made to go outside after homework and run around and play outside as long as the weather permits , I refuse to have a child that's stays cooped int he house all day on the tv or computer or game system!

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Exactly! The studies prove it and just observing people when you're out shopping, traveling, anywhere makes it very evident that obesity is common and accepted. Can you imagine ACCEPTING obesity and all the risks that go with it just because we are supposed to be"polictically correct" and "mind our own business" ?

The dumbest arguments are " I love the way I look" and "My hubby loves the way I look " and "I don't want to be a toothpick, I love my fat" etc.  because the issue isn't how we look, it is how healthy we are!

Kids in school who are too fat should be detected and letters should go home. Then the next step, if you are a responsoble Mom, is to take your chubby kid to the Pediatrician for advice. Or read a book, for goodness sake, about nutrition and health. ( And stay away from McDonalds and "Hamburger Helper" and big portions )

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting Sisteract:

Debmomto2girls
by Debbie on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Yep. My oldest has always battled with her weight but is successful. Right when she hit Puberty she gained weight and we went right to a nutritionist who helped a lot. She also learned to accept she is very muscular (she is a dancer) and tall. She will never be 100 pounds but she looks fit and healthy.

We need to rethink food and why we eat so much. Since my dd dances a lot, we had to find foods that fueled her and let her feel full.

Quoting lga1965:

Exactly! The studies prove it and just observing people when you're out shopping, traveling, anywhere makes it very evident that obesity is common and accepted. Can you imagine ACCEPTING obesity and all the risks that go with it just because we are supposed to be"polictically correct" and "mind our own business" ?

The dumbest arguments are " I love the way I look" and "My hubby loves the way I look " and "I don't want to be a toothpick, I love my fat" etc.  because the issue isn't how we look, it is how healthy we are!

Kids in school who are too fat should be detected and letters should go home. Then the next step, if you are a responsoble Mom, is to take your chubby kid to the Pediatrician for advice. Or read a book, for goodness sake, about nutrition and health. ( And stay away from McDonalds and "Hamburger Helper" and big portions )

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting Sisteract:

othermom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

I agree. I think PE should be mandatory and not stricken with budget cuts. I think schools should be forced to serve nutritious lunches and kids should be really educated on healthy eating. And not just show them a food pyramid chart.

Quoting turtle68:

someone can tell me my childs fat......and then what?

How many people / parents are going to act on that....especially if they are fat themselves. 

Informing people and educating them is a better route....worrying about a parents feelings shouldnt be part of the equation...but neither is squashing their feelings in order to "parent" their kids.

some stranger telling my kid that theyre fat is OVERSTEPPING.  Giving me the note with the results (or sending a letter separate of the school system) is fine. 

I agree. At my kids school they get PE twice a week, but they do get 3 recesses aday. I would be fine with the school sending home a note about it. I already discuss it with the doctor when they go in each year. Parents do need to take an active roll in their kids health and weight.
viv212
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Yeah I think parents are responsible!!

I grew up with hardly any junk food in the house. It wasn't until I was older and realized most kids do grow up with junk food in the house.

Since my dd isn't used to the junk food she doesn't feel like she "needs" it. If someone has candy or sweets at their house, she doesn't always eat it.

My bf on the other hands, he has his girls thinking that they need chips or ice cream if they don't have any in the house. A house doesn't always have to have sweets. We used to go halfers on the grocery bill until I started seeing the junk food. Now he knows we'll go halfers on actual food. If he wants to buy junk food that's all on him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured