Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

WTF? Good Grief! What are your thoughts to why this keeps happening?

Posted by   + Show Post

I swear, I hear more stories about this all the time...And I never heard of it before about a decade ago..Why does this kind of thing seem to be increasing? WTF?

Florida man swallowed by sinkhole feared dead

By Nick Valencia and Tina Burnside, CNN
updated 7:28 AM EST, Fri March 1, 2013
Watch this video

Florida man swallowed by giant sinkhole

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • NEW: The missing man cries as he falls into the hole
  • NEW: Engineers with monitoring equipment find no signs of life
  • The victim's brother tries to save the man
  • The hole is about 100 feet wide

(CNN) -- A man swallowed by sinkhole under his bedroom in Florida is believed dead, authorities said early Friday, after monitoring equipment found no signs of life.

The 36-year-old "is presumed dead" after the incident Thursday night, according to Jessica Damico, a spokeswoman for the Hillsborough County Fire Department.

"It's not confirmed, but I think it's safe to presume," she said.

This is a Google street view of the house taken before the sinkhole opened up.
This is a Google street view of the house taken before the sinkhole opened up.

Engineers used monitoring equipment to search for signs of life without success. Some of the equipment went missing in the process.

"There is no evidence of him being alive," she said.

The victim cried out to his brother for help as the hole that opened up under his bedroom in Brandon, a suburb of Tampa. The brother tried frantically to pull him out.

Rescuers had to take the brother away from the edge of the chasm as it continued to grow, with the lost man nowhere in sight.

Using radar, engineers determined the sinkhole is about 100 feet in diameter, but it is not visible above ground except from inside the house.

The ground covering the massive cavity is mostly intact, but it could buckle, taking the entire house down with it -- as well as neighboring homes.

Authorities have evacuated the neighborhood.

The hole occurred naturally, Damico said, and is still actively developing. It is not man-made.

The bedroom is on top of the hole's center. Engineers will return with more sophisticated monitoring equipment after daybreak to get a better idea of its dimensions. They believe it could be 50 feet deep.

Authorities were unable to contact the victim as the sinkhole expanded, and the house was deemed unsafe for rescuers. The local fire marshal has condemned it, Damico said.

Five adults and one 2-year-old child were inside the home when chasm opened up, she said.

The victim's brother, who attempted to rescue him, was first taken to the Red Cross, then a local hotel.

Neon Washable Paint

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:42 AM
Replies (41-50):
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:58 AM

We live in a salt marsh region, and it is actually very nice here. We have only lived here for a year and a half, but I haven't heard of any sink hole activity near here.

Quoting wickedfiress:

This is one of the reasons I would never live in Flordia. Hurricanes being another.

I also wouldn't live in Louisiana because I don't want to live in a swamp or marsh!

Neon Washable Paint

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:00 PM
You don't like corn fields?!? Lol :)

Quoting fireangel5:

It's beautiful! As a history geek, I love PA, Gettysburg, Philly, Valley Forge. I drive out there to see him and wander around VF for hours. And of course I can' t pass by without stopping at Gettysburg. Last time I was out there, I stopped at teh Flight 93 memorial on the way home. 
PA is such a pretty drive too. Although driving the mountains make me nervous. Driving thru Indiana and Ohio is DULL! 

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Villanova is very pretty. I used to work out that way, DH does now. We had tickets to a basketball game but at the last minute couldn't go. =(

Quoting fireangel5:

Never knew that. Still scary. My son is at Villanova so PA caught my attention. I really didnt realize that they happen as often as they do in the US

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I live just north of Philadelphia and you usually hear of a few every year. Good Morning Amerikca showed a chart where it's most common (but not like an everyday thing) and of the 5 or 6 states, PA was one.

Quoting fireangel5:

Really? Wow, that is so scary. I could almost understand Fla, with it being so marshy, but I would have never thought of PA

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I'm in PA...not new here either.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

I grew up in Florida and this is nothing new.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
calliemist
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:12 PM

And to think I was just thinking about something like this last night. Crazy!

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Ground hogs.

StarburstKisses
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Quoting NWP:

Do the frack near Tampa? I just wonder if this sudden appearance of sink holes has anything to do with fracking....they seem to have appeared around the same time.

this.

KenneMaw
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Florida is naturally at great risk for sink holes due to the fact it is surrounded by water.  Also, I heard this morning, that TX, LA, AL, KY and PA are sinkhole prone due to the ground containing large amounts of limestone and sandstone.  

GrandmaGRN
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I think places like Florida that have lots of marsh land are prone to this kind of thing. I would bet back when this house was built, construction companies just brought in lots of fill-dirt and built on top, assuming it would solidify the ground.

AuntieL333
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:47 PM

The house in question was built on an aquafer and little rain allows it to dry and sink Evidently this isn't the first sinkhole in this area.

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:38 PM

What a  horrifying way to die.

survivorinohio
by René on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep thats what I thought about. He was even a cute kid!

Quoting NWP:

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)