Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Apparently, the state of CA thinks they own my child.

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:33 PM
  • 162 Replies
1 mom liked this

So, we recieved a letter in the mail from my son's school stating that he had 3 unexcused absenses and that if we didn't force him to go to school, we could incur fines and the DA may decide to not allow him to get a licence until the age of 22 (amung other possible "consequences").    My son is 7 and in the first grade.

So, I called the school and it turns out they counted two tardies as unexcused absenses and one day that we took a long weekend family trip.  

The consequences seem a bit extreme for a couple of tardies and a family day!   I know it's all mandated by the state since attendance is connected to funding... but it's like they think they own my child!

How does everyone else feel about mandated attendance?   Do you think your state is too strict, too lenient, etc...?    Do you think parents should be able to take their child out for (limited) family trips and "mental health days" so long as it doesn't effect the child's education without threat of fines?  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ethans_momma06
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Well, I'm in CA too, and not a fan of that happening. Honestly, I don't think attendance should be mandatory to th extreme (though I am willing to support a limit at some point)- and I sure as heck don't think such strong repurcussions should be had.

If you miss a few days but are still passing- what does it matter? And if you don't pass, obviously- fail and retake the grade.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Once again my kid, my problem. I can see this to a point, but there is no reason to claim 2 tardies as an absence, they do this at my dd's school

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:07 PM

What part of cali are you in? I am up north and we don't have that type of stringent attendance policies here.

I would not like it.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Quoting Radarma:

What part of cali are you in? I am up north and we don't have that type of stringent attendance policies here.

I would not like it.

I'm in Fremont... near San Jose.     Our district is HUGE... 26 elementary schools.   They just follow the state laws... maybe your schools float the policies a little?

JCB911
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:09 PM
2 moms liked this

If your kids is doing well who cares if he misses a few days.  Time with family is just as important than whatever happened in school that one day.   I know "who cares" is the wrong attitude about school.  LEARNing is important, School eh not so much.

Noe the child does need to know responsibilities, sticking to something etc.  Put, does going to a boring school really teach that. 

IMO CA sucks, I'm so glad I live in WI.  And glad we homeschool.  I want to be able to do what I want with my children, and NOT follow some silly gov't schedule as to when my family can go on vacation.

and 3 missed days, big whoop!  If it was 13 or 23, then maybe.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Quoting pamelax3:

Once again my kid, my problem. I can see this to a point, but there is no reason to claim 2 tardies as an absence, they do this at my dd's school

I was thinking the same thing... if a tardy (over 30 minutes is the "rule") is going to be counted as an unexcused absense... I guess there's no point in even bringing him in that day?  Does the other 5.5 hours not count for anything??

JCB911
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM
3 moms liked this

A 30 minute tardy counts as a full day - yet schools often have "half-days"  so it's ok to miss a lot of time in the classroom, but only if it's b/c the school says so.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM

So, I asked the office lady if I should just lie if we'll be going out of town and she told me that she just records the codes for the absenses, so I can say whatever I want.   So... condoning lying?   How sad that the parents and local schools have to deceive the state so that the family can spend some time together!

Quoting JCB911:

If your kids is doing well who cares if he misses a few days.  Time with family is just as important than whatever happened in school that one day.   I know "who cares" is the wrong attitude about school.  LEARNing is important, School eh not so much.

Noe the child does need to know responsibilities, sticking to something etc.  Put, does going to a boring school really teach that. 

IMO CA sucks, I'm so glad I live in WI.  And glad we homeschool.  I want to be able to do what I want with my children, and NOT follow some silly gov't schedule as to when my family can go on vacation.

and 3 missed days, big whoop!  If it was 13 or 23, then maybe.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting pamelax3:

I was thinking the same thing... if a tardy (over 30 minutes is the "rule") is going to be counted as an unexcused absense... I guess there's no point in even bringing him in that day?  Does the other 5.5 hours not count for anything??

Exactly, I can see it maybe needing to be made up at some point during the day, but I do not see that the child should be counted absent

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting Radarma:

I would not like it.

I'm in Fremont... near San Jose.     Our district is HUGE... 26 elementary schools.   They just follow the state laws... maybe your schools float the policies a little?

Ahh yes, know your area well, lived in Hayward while doing my undergrad.

You should move north, lol.

Yeah, I think that is a bit stringent but they need the funding which is driven by attendance. Double edged sword...I do find that the best bet is to always communicate with the school when your child is absent. We sometimes takes ours out of school for out of state trips and the school is always very accommodating with us. It's nice up here...we have wine and hot air balloons too.

:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured