Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rape is NOT a joke!!!

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:16 PM
  • 193 Replies
15 moms liked this

I am sick and tired of people joking about rape. Rape is not a joke EVER. I see so many women on here joke about it. I hear so many people joke about it in real life. I see women tell other women to rape their husbands when their husbands don't want sex. I hear people, mostly guys while playing video games, talk about being butt raped when things are going bad. There are also some people who are so horrible that they make up stories about getting raped to get sympathy. Statements like these make real rape victims not want to speak up. It is statements like these that cause real victims to not be believed. It is statements like these that cause real victims to go without justice. So please, EVERYONE, stop joking about rape. It isn't a joke. Joking about it hurts the actual victims.

Statistics (courtesy of RAINN.org)

Almost 2/3 of rapes were committed by someone known to the victim.
73% of sexual assaults were perpetrated by a non-stranger.
38% of rapists are a friend or acquaintance.
28% are an intimate.
7% are a relative.

60% of rapes/sexual assaults are not reported to the police. Those rapists, of course, never spend a day in prison according to a statistical average of the past 5 years. Factoring in unreported rapes, only about 6% of rapists ever serve a day in jail.

In 2006, there were 272,350 victims of rape, attempted rape, or sexual assault. (These figures do not include victims 12 years old or younger.)

Every 2 minutes, someone in the U.S. is sexually assaulted.

1 out of every 6 American women have been the victims of an attempted or completed rape in their lifetime (14.8% completed rape; 2.8% attempted rape).

17.7 million American women have been victims of attempted or completed rape.

9 of every 10 rape victims were female in 2003.

15% of sexual assault and rape victims are under age 12.

Girls ages 16-19 are 4 times more likely than the general population to be victims of rape, attempted rape, or sexual assault.

In 2004-2005, 64,080 women were raped. According to medical reports, the incidence of pregnancy for one-time unprotected sexual intercourse is 5%. By applying the pregnancy rate to 64,080 women, RAINN estimates that there were 3,204 pregnancies as a result of rape during that period.

Effects of Rape
Victims of sexual assault are:

3 times more likely to suffer from depression.
6 times more likely to suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder.
13 times more likely to abuse alcohol.
26 times more likely to abuse drugs.
4 times more likely to contemplate suicide.

Sorry, I had to vent because I was just in a chat where they were joking about rape. I get very pissed off every time I hear someone joke about it. I was rape 4 years ago in January (on my due date actually so I am hoping I go early or late, I don't want my son to be born on such a horrible day) and even to this day when my husband or one of his friends make an 'innocent' joke about being butt raped in a game it hurts me. It brings back memories.

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:42 PM
8 moms liked this

It is distasteful and ignorant to joke about rape.

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:45 PM
4 moms liked this
There is nothing you can do about not everyone being mature enough to understand this. :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NewMom11222011
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I agree with you. I can't believe in one of the other threads that purple ducky and I were involved in that there were actually people condoning it, but then most of those people I don't understand on most issues.  Rape is NEVER a joking matter.

Mama2Spencerninja

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:46 PM
7 moms liked this

This shouldn't even have to be said.

SWasson
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Agreed.

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting furbabymum:

This shouldn't even have to be said.

Exactly THIS.

acrogodess
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:50 PM
2 moms liked this
I didn't know this required saying. That is a damned shame that people think it's a joking matter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I agree with you. 

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:51 PM
3 moms liked this

And men are raped too. There was a study done about that and it seemed that men are often being raped in the military among other cases. Anyway,it's never funny. There are too many jokes made about too many sensitive subjects.

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never understood how one can think it's fine to joke about, disgusting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured