Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School Lockdown!

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:58 PM
  • 20 Replies

‘Fresh Prince' theme leads to school lockdown

By Mike Krumboltz | The Sideshow - 3 hrs ago

A student's outgoing voice mail message quoting the theme to "Fresh Prince of Bel Air" led to a school lockdown in Ambridge, Pa.

The Times Online in Beaver, Pa., explains what happened. A receptionist from a doctor's office called to remind student Travis Clawson about an upcoming appointment. Clawson didn't pick up, so the call went to voice mail.

The receptionist heard what sounded like a threat about "shooting" and "school" on Clawson's outgoing message. Apparently, the message was intended to quote a lyric from the Will Smith sitcom's theme song that goes, "And all shooting some b-ball outside of the school." It's unclear if the receptionist misheard Clawson's message or if the student altered the lyrics.

The receptionist notified police, who notified school officials, who instituted a lockdown on every school in the county. After 20 frantic minutes, authorities located Clawson in the high school's guidance counselor's office.

Police took him into custody and interviewed him. It was then that Clawson explained his message was just a riff on the popular '90s sitcom about a young Philadelphia man who goes to live with his "auntie and uncle in Bel Air." According to Times Online, District Attorney Anthony Berosh said that after listening to the message closely it was determined that it did follow the Quincy Jones-penned song. Clawson was released and no charges were filed.

No word on whether he said "Smell ya later" upon being cleared.

"Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone- except God"...Billy Graham
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Oh for the love of every god out there.. is this real???

stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:16 AM

It is always good to know that the fear angle is working so well.~

candlegal
by Judy on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Overreact much

Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Saw this last night on the news I don't even know what to say about it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Rhodin
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

And people wonder why homeschooling is getting so popular.  SMH

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:28 AM
5 moms liked this

So no one thought to actually listen to the message First instead of allowing the child to be taken into custody?

I understand we must take these issues seriously, but common sense needs to reign!!

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Oh lawd

gammie
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

All the schools are doing is pissing kids off and that is what is dangrous.

survivorinohio
by René on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:05 PM

lol  Oh my.  People dont stop and think anymore,  They react from their gut and wisdom is lost I swear.

survivorinohio
by René on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Quoting gammie:

All the schools are doing is pissing kids off and that is what is dangrous.

I think there is truth in this.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured