Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Continuing Education for Drivers

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:02 PM
  • 52 Replies
1 mom liked this
What if, in the six months before or after the month in which your DL has to be renewed, you also
had to take a "continuing education" driving class? It could be a rules and regulations update,
defensive driving, winter conditions, emergency maneuvers, or other topics states might make
available. While we were driving today, my husband mentioned that the difference between the average
driver's capabilities and those of most police officers is regular, yearly training and education. A
class every 5 to 7 years isn't comperable to EVOC classes every year but would certainly be
better than right now.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
funnymommy71
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:25 PM
2 moms liked this

Seriously no one has replied yet?  My idea for years has been a mandatory re-test (road test) In the car with an instructor- not classroom, every 5 years after age 55.  In the vicinity of where I live, we have had somewhere around 25 cases of people driving thru storefronts and restaurants in some cases killing people recently- all drivers with a very few execptions were over 60.  My latest car accident was with an actually wonderful gentleman, a Papa type of 73 road testing a car WITH a salesman who broadsided me pulling out of the car lot.  He stopped driving that day- we were all ok- except my poor neck. It was a sad day all around. My Nana gave up driving when her eyes went bad, the most independent lady you could meet.  Many others need 'help" to stop.

BTW- God help ALL of us with the freakin talking/texting on the phone and DWI= ALL ages!!!

eema.gray
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:53 PM
I think that classes/testing on a regular basis throughout one's driving career would help people feel less attacked when they get to a point where they shouldn't be driving.

I'm glad you were alright after that accident. How scary!

Quoting funnymommy71:

Seriously no one has replied yet?  My idea for years has been a mandatory re-test (road test) In the car with an instructor- not classroom, every 5 years after age 55.  In the vicinity of where I live, we have had somewhere around 25 cases of people driving thru storefronts and restaurants in some cases killing people recently- all drivers with a very few execptions were over 60.  My latest car accident was with an actually wonderful gentleman, a Papa type of 73 road testing a car WITH a salesman who broadsided me pulling out of the car lot.  He stopped driving that day- we were all ok- except my poor neck. It was a sad day all around. My Nana gave up driving when her eyes went bad, the most independent lady you could meet.  Many others need 'help" to stop.

BTW- God help ALL of us with the freakin talking/texting on the phone and DWI= ALL ages!!!

funnymommy71
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Quoting eema.gray:

I think that classes/testing on a regular basis throughout one's driving career would help people feel less attacked when they get to a point where they shouldn't be driving.

I'm glad you were alright after that accident. How scary!

Quoting funnymommy71:

Agreed. Maybe the classes ( like they have now with premium reduction) should be increased to 10% after age 40 for classes every 5 years?  Then, I still stick with the mandatory road test after age 60 every 5 years. I live in NYS and the rates, taxes, penalties are already out of control!!!!!!

That was my  2nd accident. No worries, all were fine- except my poor neck!  Thousands of dollars out of pocket till this day- 20 years later to fix!  But no one died.  That gentleman, was SO distraught after hitting me, I was afraid he was going to have a heart attack.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:02 AM

It would be a pain in the ass, but I'd do ot.

Saphira1207
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:06 AM
1 mom liked this

My son had the computer until 11 or I assure you I would have responded before now. lol

I agree with you on all points.

I've been feeling the same way for nearly 20 years.  The biggest hurdle I've found when discussing it with others is the whole "I don't want the gov't in my personal business!" mentality.  While I can sort of understand where they're coming from I consider the safety of the community a higher priority in this circumstance.

There's also the possibility/probablity of a fee being charged for both the paper and road tests.  There's a lot of people who don't want to pay for this.

And then there's the whole individuality/independance/ego conundrum.  In the USA we've become hyper-individualistic and hyper-independant, neither of which are conducive to re-testing for driving skills.  And I think the ego issue is self explanatory. :)

eema.gray
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Yes, it would be a gigantic PITA, especially with child care issues. But I know myself, my winter driving skills have diminished since moving to CO. I need to find tje initiative to take a closed coirse drivers training class on winter weather/emergency maneuvers.

Quoting Euphoric:

It would be a pain in the ass, but I'd do ot.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

When they start making those driving while putting on make-up, talking on a hand-held cell phone, shaving, and all the other sometimes very strange things people do while driving, (and most of them are younger than the age group you're talking about) take another course, another test, etc. then I'll think about it.

eema.gray
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:22 AM
The root of the problem with unsafe driving is that it is impossible to legislate morality. We can enact a thousand inane laws about what you don't do while driving and people will still find ways to be stupid, inconsiderate, and just plain unsafe behind the wheel.

Recent history shows that when education and information are readily available, undesirable behaviours decrease, as in the dramatic decline in smoking over the past decade or two. So I wonder if continuing education and training for drivers would help cut down on stupid sh@t people do behind the wheel of a moving vehicle.

My sister's attitude seems to be shockingly prevalent: you only have to drive perfect once, to take your road exam. I don't see that more laws can correct that attitude. But education might be able to.

Quoting meriana:

When they start making those driving while putting on make-up, talking on a hand-held cell phone, shaving, and all the other sometimes very strange things people do while driving, (and most of them are younger than the age group you're talking about) take another course, another test, etc. then I'll think about it.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:25 AM

How much would these classes cost? How would the Gov afford the employees to teach these classes?

In theory, it's a good idea. I just don't see it being affordable.

eema.gray
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:25 AM
I should be clear, I mean EVERY driver, from the teens graduating from probationary licences to permanent ones all the way up to drivers with decades of experience. Every driver, every year in which their DL has to be renewed.

Quoting meriana:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)