Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Okay, so I'm watching the documentary "Bully" as we speak.  I have already cried more than a few times and I am now completely horrified by the idea of sending my little ones off to school.  

Is it just me or is the principal at Alex's school a complete, nonsensical b*%&@? Actually I'm pretty sure that all of the administrators/educators they have interviewed or shown in this movie are completely out of touch with what is happening with these kids, but I actually woke my little one up yelling at the T.V. screen when she was talking to his parents about him being bullied on the bus.

If you haven't seen it, watch it.  If you older kids or teenagers, watch it with them.  

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Replies (11-20):
LDavis33
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:55 PM

That is a good idea.  I've never heard of schools doing anything like this (but then my little ones are only 3 and 5 months).  

Quoting gammie:

The schools can help by putting the seniors in charge of the younger kids. Keep an eye on whats going around, the kids know and see more than the teachers.

Make it into a project that they can get a grade?

this movie should be seen by all!

Mommy4000
by Ray of sunshine on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Oh ok. I saw that on demand and didn't know what it was because I was thinking of the movie Bully. It looks like a good documentary and I think it would be good to watch with my son who is 12. Since starting Jr. High he's run into some bullying situations. I can only give him so much advice so this movie might be a good way to go. Thanks for the post.

LuvingMy3Girls
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Not a schools are like that. I have an 8th grader and a 3rd grader. They have never, nor have their friends encountered real bullying.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I may just do that. :)

Quoting LDavis33:

I'd never heard of it either.  I was renting some movies and thought it looked interesting.  It was really moving.  You should check it out.

Quoting Euphoric:

This is the first I've heard of it.

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
LDavis33
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Just a warning that it may be hard to watch.  The filmmakers followed some kids who were bullied as well as the families of children who committed suicide because of bullying.  

Quoting Mommy4000:

Oh ok. I saw that on demand and didn't know what it was because I was thinking of the movie Bully. It looks like a good documentary and I think it would be good to watch with my son who is 12. Since starting Jr. High he's run into some bullying situations. I can only give him so much advice so this movie might be a good way to go. Thanks for the post.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting gammie:

The schools can help by putting the seniors in charge of the younger kids. Keep an eye on whats going around, the kids know and see more than the teachers.

Make it into a project that they can get a grade?

When my middle daughter was a Senior she was part of a group on campus that did just this.

She had three underclassmen she took under her wing.  

It was a great experience and I do think all schools should look in to something like this.

This is a great idea!

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 3:19 PM

That woman was PROMOTED to principal of an elementary school after that documentary came out. I saw a follow-up to the documentary the other night. 

It's appalling.  I wanted to hit some people. 

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 3:28 PM
My oldest dd had to watch it in school and cried. She is lucky enough to go to an arts high school where being different is acceptable.

Bullying comes from the parents. If parents think "kids will be kids" it won't stop. On the flip side, parents need to arm their kids with the right tools to fend off bullies
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LDavis33
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 3:36 PM

She should have been fired for having a complete lack of common sense.  I was appalled by the fact that she appeared to have little to no concern for the children who were being bullied.

When she tried to get one victim of bullying to shake his tormenters hand and then got upset with him because he refused all I could think was WTF?  That kid had every right to choose not to accept an apology from someone who picks on him all of the time, especially considering that the bully was obviously insincere and only offering up his hand because a) the cameras were there, or b) the principal told him to.  

Quoting TranquilMind:

That woman was PROMOTED to principal of an elementary school after that documentary came out. I saw a follow-up to the documentary the other night. 

It's appalling.  I wanted to hit some people. 

LDavis33
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I agree completely.  If you look at research into why children become bullies the biggest factor is their parents.  If you bully your child into behaving, you are teaching your child that that behavior is acceptable.

While my little ones are still a few years away from school, I am teaching them that they should never hit or otherwise hurt someone physically nor should they call people names or say hurtful things.  However, I will also teach them that if someone hurts them, either physically or emotionally, they need to stand up to that person immediately.  I will NOT rely on teachers or administrators to handle the issue, my children will be taught to protect themselves physically and spiritually.

If I EVER found out that one of my children was being a bully... well God help them.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

My oldest dd had to watch it in school and cried. She is lucky enough to go to an arts high school where being different is acceptable.

Bullying comes from the parents. If parents think "kids will be kids" it won't stop. On the flip side, parents need to arm their kids with the right tools to fend off bullies

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)