Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
I was thinking about this and since so many people seem to believe everything to do with their child should be left alone.. "my child, my right" and the government should "stay out of my business" than get rid of DHS. It's government funded and if everything is the parents right.. What's the point?? A child being starved is considered neglect but a morbidly obese child is a parental choice.

I was thinking this after seeig a 4-5 year old last night in a restaurant who couldn't walk right and was squeezed into booth because she was so obese. She had an adult size platter and dessert which she ate in minutes. But, who gives a shit? Her mother has the right to slowly kill her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:36 AM
Replies (141-145):
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this
ETA: I am assuming this was directed at me but I could be wrong.. Just in case...Thank you and I agree. At my dd's high school they are already doing this. Every student has to develop a nutrition and fitness plan. It's individualized and they track their own progress. I've already seen a huge difference in her attitude towards PE which she used to hate. They pick what they do within some guidelines. She picked wrestling one time and pinned 2 boys. She felt great!

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I love your passion. I feel like your 'good intentions' will later be guidelines for people who aren't even close to stepping over the blurry line put in place by Big Daddy Gov't.

Diet and nutrition are not a one size fits all. Every person needs individual attention, blood work and an understanding about their own body and what it will take to fuel it. Until and unless the Gov't is willing to individualize nutritional assistance they should stop concerning themselves with averages about daily caloric intake and exercise because none of it is a ONE SIZE FITS ALL.

my4kids274
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:00 PM
I know it is an unfounded concern on my part but I just do not trust people. Plain and simple.

Quoting zoniechick:

My kids are very skinny and small too, it just comes naturally. For a whole year I was going in for weight checks and development checks with both of them. They are both healthy and active. I have worried about the same thing. The problem is ppl see a small skinny kid and automatically think there is something wrong.

Quoting my4kids274:

My youngest son is very, skinny. He honestly is very underweight and he is being followed by his primary care provider and a nutritionist. I honestly have to admit I have a fear of my having a visit from CPS due to his weight. Mainly because of stories that I have seen or read about.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:52 PM

What an excellent and pertinent assignment.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

ETA: I am assuming this was directed at me but I could be wrong.. Just in case...Thank you and I agree. At my dd's high school they are already doing this. Every student has to develop a nutrition and fitness plan. It's individualized and they track their own progress. I've already seen a huge difference in her attitude towards PE which she used to hate. They pick what they do within some guidelines. She picked wrestling one time and pinned 2 boys. She felt great!

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I love your passion. I feel like your 'good intentions' will later be guidelines for people who aren't even close to stepping over the blurry line put in place by Big Daddy Gov't.

Diet and nutrition are not a one size fits all. Every person needs individual attention, blood work and an understanding about their own body and what it will take to fuel it. Until and unless the Gov't is willing to individualize nutritional assistance they should stop concerning themselves with averages about daily caloric intake and exercise because none of it is a ONE SIZE FITS ALL.

Gracesgma
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I am with you!  It is as much child abuse to encourage morbid obesity in a child as it is to starve it.  If all parents actually did what is best for a child we wouldn't need the various government organizations to protect children.  These gvt organizations don't come about in a vacuum, they were organized because there was and still is a need for them.

zoniechick
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I know what you mean, I have a hard time too. When I was younger and so naive I trusted everyone, now after some very hard learned lessons I don't.

Quoting my4kids274:

I know it is an unfounded concern on my part but I just do not trust people. Plain and simple.

Quoting zoniechick:

My kids are very skinny and small too, it just comes naturally. For a whole year I was going in for weight checks and development checks with both of them. They are both healthy and active. I have worried about the same thing. The problem is ppl see a small skinny kid and automatically think there is something wrong.

Quoting my4kids274:

My youngest son is very, skinny. He honestly is very underweight and he is being followed by his primary care provider and a nutritionist. I honestly have to admit I have a fear of my having a visit from CPS due to his weight. Mainly because of stories that I have seen or read about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)