Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

My idea of sex-ed for elementary

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:15 AM
  • 19 Replies
How about this:

Instead of the normal sex-ed where there's usually a powerpoint/lecture type seminar. We make it individual.

No group lecture. No girls class or boys class.
Individual.

Every student fills out an essay type quiz. Writing what they think they know about sex, reproduction, etc.
After the people running the program go through and then correct/inform each student on what they should know.

Obviously there will be an opt out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this
How would you standardize the grading; I mean, if a seven year old wrote an essay on S&M and another seven year old writes, "this is my pee pee." How in the world could you equate the two?

How would you judge an eight year old that wants to organize a "pervert pride parade" where people could feel free to dress up as vampire to feed their sexual desire and get together with the Furry BDSM marching band, nothing like a guy that dresses up like a rat in leather stockings, playing "Don't Cry for Me Argentina," on the flute for the express public joy of showing pervert pride. With another eight year old girl who thinks that is totally nuts?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lissa0985
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:42 AM
I get your point.

My question is how in the hell do you come up with your crap ... (I did laugh :/ )

Quoting Donna6503:

How would you standardize the grading; I mean, if a seven year old wrote an essay on S&M and another seven year old writes, "this is my pee pee." How in the world could you equate the two?

How would you judge an eight year old that wants to organize a "pervert pride parade" where people could feel free to dress up as vampire to feed their sexual desire and get together with the Furry BDSM marching band, nothing like a guy that dresses up like a rat in leather stockings, playing "Don't Cry for Me Argentina," on the flute for the express public joy of showing pervert pride. With another eight year old girl who thinks that is totally nuts?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Once this is completed, what do you do then?  How are the individualized questions handled, the ideas that come from the children?

Do you tailor the 'truth' to fit the individual or do you actually just go with basic facts?

x_Starr_x
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:45 AM
omg I just laughed my ass off At this such imagination. to the OP though stupid idea that wastes time and money.

Quoting Donna6503:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
disneymom2two
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, because the public schools have enough resources to teach kids 1:1 for a class of 25-30 kids.  They sure don't in my town.

Mommy4000
by Ray of sunshine on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:47 AM

There's sex ed in elementary? Not ours. I think the most important thing when teaching sex ed, is making sure the teacher knows what he/she is talking about. My son had to correct the teacher several times during their health/sex ed course in 7th.

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Realistically, the only people that would love this plan would be lawyers. Can you imagine the number of lawsuits that would result because an adult took an individual child into a special place to talk about individualize sexual education.

Quoting x_Starr_x:

omg I just laughed my ass off At this such imagination. to the OP though stupid idea that wastes time and money.

Quoting Donna6503:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting Donna6503:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

IvoryIris
by New Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 6:04 PM
2 moms liked this

My idea:  teach it at home so primary schools don't feel obligated to teach it. 

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 6:48 PM

How do you get parents to teach their kids? A lot of parents don't. I don't know why, but they don't. Which is why the schools do. It's a public investment to counter ignorance and stupidity.

Quoting IvoryIris:

My idea:  teach it at home so primary schools don't feel obligated to teach it.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)