Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
How about this:

Instead of the normal sex-ed where there's usually a powerpoint/lecture type seminar. We make it individual.

No group lecture. No girls class or boys class.
Individual.

Every student fills out an essay type quiz. Writing what they think they know about sex, reproduction, etc.
After the people running the program go through and then correct/inform each student on what they should know.

Obviously there will be an opt out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Replies (11-19):
KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 6:51 PM

in fifth grade we had a sex ed class..they split us up by boys and girls and told use about the change. us girls got a period survival pack with pads tampons and more reading and came in a nice little travel bag (so you could hid the pads and tampons in your backpack) I see nothing wrong with this. We didnt get into sex and all that until middle school and high school.

But this idea would take up to much time 

BE BOLD check your husbands balls, early detection is the key to saving a life 

NEED TO KNOW FACTS: TESTICULAR CANCER
✔ One man is diagnosed every hour
✔ One man dies everyday
✔ Can strike at any age, however, most common in the 15-35 age range
✔ Number one killing cancer of young men
✔ MOST CURABLE CANCER, When Caught Early!

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 2, 2013 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure I've laughed this hard in a long time. Thank you for this reply.

Quoting Donna6503:

How would you standardize the grading; I mean, if a seven year old wrote an essay on S&M and another seven year old writes, "this is my pee pee." How in the world could you equate the two?

How would you judge an eight year old that wants to organize a "pervert pride parade" where people could feel free to dress up as vampire to feed their sexual desire and get together with the Furry BDSM marching band, nothing like a guy that dresses up like a rat in leather stockings, playing "Don't Cry for Me Argentina," on the flute for the express public joy of showing pervert pride. With another eight year old girl who thinks that is totally nuts?

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:25 PM

rolling on floor 

Quoting Donna6503:

How would you standardize the grading; I mean, if a seven year old wrote an essay on S&M and another seven year old writes, "this is my pee pee." How in the world could you equate the two?

How would you judge an eight year old that wants to organize a "pervert pride parade" where people could feel free to dress up as vampire to feed their sexual desire and get together with the Furry BDSM marching band, nothing like a guy that dresses up like a rat in leather stockings, playing "Don't Cry for Me Argentina," on the flute for the express public joy of showing pervert pride. With another eight year old girl who thinks that is totally nuts?

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh Donna ... lol 100 times over.

disneymom2two
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this

That doesn't always work because I've run into many parents at school who refuse to allow their kids to participate in the 5th grade sex ed class (it's takes up 2 classes out of the whole year's health curriculum; health class is held twice a month) also refuse to tell them anything.  So, since the school can't teach them and the parents won't teach them, its up to their friends to tell them the facts of life regardless of whether they have their own facts straight or not. 

Quoting mehamil1:

How do you get parents to teach their kids? A lot of parents don't. I don't know why, but they don't. Which is why the schools do. It's a public investment to counter ignorance and stupidity.

Quoting IvoryIris:

My idea:  teach it at home so primary schools don't feel obligated to teach it.  

alliesaurus
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I think at that age the separated gender video lecture is fine. Is a child has a question they don't want o bring up in front of everyone else maybe they could be instructed to write it down anonymously and answered for all...or they can go privately to an adult or better yet their PARENT to have their questions answered. You don't need to know what they think/thought before hand...just give them the correct information and provide an opportunity to anonymously ask a question.

PamR
by Pam on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:19 PM

They'd be mortified.  I don't think it would work that way.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Bingo!  We have a winner!

Quoting IvoryIris:

My idea:  teach it at home so primary schools don't feel obligated to teach it. 

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:18 AM

ahh ok.

Quoting Lissa0985:

I get your point.

My question is how in the hell do you come up with your crap ... (I did laugh :/ )

Quoting Donna6503:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN