Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fox had a report last night on O' Reilly about women gaining weight. A study out of SC says women are getting bigger because we are doing less housework than we used to. Did anyone see it and what did you think?

shrugging

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:46 AM
Replies (51-54):
smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I have and I still don't know how they do it. Some people have smaller houses. A lot of people say they just have one day where they do the cleaning. I guess their kids are in school or daycare? To keep my house up and on top of laundry, I really need to do 3-4 hours a day. I've been doing 6+ lately since we might be moving to another country for a while. 

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

1 hour? Did you ask How they do it all in an hour? LOL!

Dishes, Laundry, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, dusting, washing windows, etc. in a 2 story home takes more than an hour...

Quoting smalltowngal:

They didn't have all the appliances we have now a days either. How many of our grandmothers washed dishes by hand, hand washed floors, line dried the laundry and even ironed. My Mom spent 8+ hours a day growing up on cleaning, laundry and cooking. I've polled people before and most say they spend 1 hour max on cleaning even though a lot of our houses are much bigger. 

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Exactly! I have 1 kid in school and 2 at home so they make messes all day long but even excluding their messes there is still laundry, dishes, dusting, vaccuming, sweeping & mopping, windows, kitchen cleaning, making beds, yard work, etc.

Plus twice a year my Husky blows coat an that increases my cleaning time! LOL!

Quoting smalltowngal:

I have and I still don't know how they do it. Some people have smaller houses. A lot of people say they just have one day where they do the cleaning. I guess their kids are in school or daycare? To keep my house up and on top of laundry, I really need to do 3-4 hours a day. I've been doing 6+ lately since we might be moving to another country for a while. 

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

1 hour? Did you ask How they do it all in an hour? LOL!

Dishes, Laundry, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, dusting, washing windows, etc. in a 2 story home takes more than an hour...

Quoting smalltowngal:

They didn't have all the appliances we have now a days either. How many of our grandmothers washed dishes by hand, hand washed floors, line dried the laundry and even ironed. My Mom spent 8+ hours a day growing up on cleaning, laundry and cooking. I've polled people before and most say they spend 1 hour max on cleaning even though a lot of our houses are much bigger. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkfairy0206
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:08 AM
I say almost the same thing. I never use having kids as a reason not to exercise or b overweight. Its the only time of day that I can do something for myself and its free! I workout at home and a lot of times my kids join me lol. If there not in school.

Quoting Schleetle:

I didn't see it. I think personally a lot of moms worry too much about doing everything for their children, and don't take any time to care about themselves. Of course our kids come first, but if we don't keep ourselves healthy we can't set the best example for our kids. I have three children including two with SN, and it is exhausting. However I still make time to workout 6 days a week, and make healthy eating a priority. Moms have to remember that taking time to take care of ourselves is good for everyone in the family, and it really just makes you feel better too.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I think these are the same people who have kids that can wear the same outfit for more than one day and only have to run the dishwasher every, other day. I will be lucky if I don't have to change my child ater she comes home from school and before we go out some where. I'm lucky that I have 2 days where both kids are in school so I'm actually getting things done like wiping down the cabinets and putting curtains in the drier to get rid of the 5 year layer of dust they have on top of them. 

I know I still don't do as much as my Mom did with 4 kids. I remember her spending hours ironing and when I got old enough, my job was to iron my father's hankerchiefs. She hand washed the floor every week too where I have a step up from a swifter that I use on my floor. 

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Exactly! I have 1 kid in school and 2 at home so they make messes all day long but even excluding their messes there is still laundry, dishes, dusting, vaccuming, sweeping & mopping, windows, kitchen cleaning, making beds, yard work, etc.

Plus twice a year my Husky blows coat an that increases my cleaning time! LOL!

Quoting smalltowngal:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured