Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is your solution to the economical issues our country is facing?

There are many people here that are critics of what is happening and what is proposed.  What would your proposal be? Is it feasible?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Replies (121-130):
D.O.E.
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:32 AM

lol well i was born there but my mom is Canadian and brought us girls here when i was 4.
this is besides the point.  yes i do have family in the states still and yes some of these policies do affect them. that being said, it is laughable to think that what happens there does not have an effect here. 

it does, and if the economy continues to fail, you only have to look at other countries which were at one time economic powerhouses and super powers within the world, to see just how far the mighty can fall.

and WHAT IF anarchy breaks out? WHAT IF this economic collapse sparks a civil war? does anyone honestly think that wont affect Canada? also, if that time comes, Canada has to choose who they will stand behind, the govt and military? or the people?

we also do a lot of trade between our countries, do you really think your economy does not affect Canada's?

so yeah what happens down there is and always will be, something any smart Canadian will care about.

Quoting Billiejeens:

I was of the understanding that she is  an ex-pat, but..............

Quoting Chris030406:

Aren't you Canadian?

Although our foreign policies effect you, I'm not sure where you have the right to bitch about our domestic issues.

Quoting D.O.E.:

im sorry i am just frustrated. someone needs to burn the whitehouse down or something already, enough talk! the citizens are no worse than the politicians at this point its just blah blah blah

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting D.O.E.:

possibly. but whats the point? we are all just a bunch of mom and housewives and we bitch and moan and shake our fists and nothing ever happens as a result.

this needs to be discussed in churches and town halls on a larger scale and amongst the community.

enough bitching online. it gets you no where.

ok ok, way to kill a post yo!  lol

D.O.E.
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:35 AM

there is more to being an American than just being born there. there are cultural differances, and a distinctly differant way of thinking, i have been here since i was 4, and i am about as canadian as it gets. 

i do however find it amusing that they call me american like it is an insult or something, or argue with me about whether or not i am canadian or american.

like seriously? no, im canadian, there is no need to argue with me about it lol

Quoting Chris030406:

In MC she is a die-hard Canadian and if you dare mention that she was born in the US, she throws a temper tantrum. Quite entertaining, really.

Quoting Billiejeens:

I was of the understanding that she is  an ex-pat, but..............

Quoting Chris030406:

Aren't you Canadian?

Although our foreign policies effect you, I'm not sure where you have the right to bitch about our domestic issues.

Quoting D.O.E.:

im sorry i am just frustrated. someone needs to burn the whitehouse down or something already, enough talk! the citizens are no worse than the politicians at this point its just blah blah blah

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting D.O.E.:

possibly. but whats the point? we are all just a bunch of mom and housewives and we bitch and moan and shake our fists and nothing ever happens as a result.

this needs to be discussed in churches and town halls on a larger scale and amongst the community.

ok ok, way to kill a post yo!  lol

Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:28 PM
War is definatly as profitable. It just depends on who is profiting. Once upon a time it was the country, the steel workers, the plane engineers etc. Now its the drone engineers, the oil companies etc.

Quoting survivorinohio:

War is not as profitable today as it once was, There are a few reasons I thing contribute to that, Private contractors used rather than soldiers is one and frankly the nature of war has changed and we face fewer fatalities and many more chronic disabling injuries.
War today lines the pockets of a few (Dick Cheney anyone?) but it is proving to be an economic weight around the US' proverbial neck.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

For the first time in a long time I agree. War is a money maker. Who thinks we've been at war for ten years for fun?

Quoting lga1965:

War is good for the economy, so they say, in this warped world. You are giving FDR too much credit. For example, just look at how the Vietnam war was so profitable for the aircraft and ammo manufacturers. and Iraq,for Cheney and his contractors, Halliburton,for one. War is a real money maker.

Quoting Carpy:

The second world war did not do that.   The death of FDR did that.  He suspended the New Deal to focus on the war.  Truman had no desire to continue down that path.  He knew it was killing the country.

Quoting Jennygurl09:

Quoting purpleducky:

Spend spend spend. It is what FDR did. You have to spend to make money.

Edit: and I mean spend domestically.

And he didn't bring us out of the depression either. The second world war managed to do that. So how was his plan actually useful?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
furbabymum
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

If defense spending were cut the first thing to go would be the soldiers. They'll keep making drones and ammunition but soldiers are going to be unemployed and begging on the street. I'm not sure that would help anything.

Quoting lga1965:

Raise taxes and cut defense spending ( no more funding of unnecessary wars)and freeze salaries of congress, all Washington politicians.

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Are you sure ?

Quoting furbabymum:

If defense spending were cut the first thing to go would be the soldiers. They'll keep making drones and ammunition but soldiers are going to be unemployed and begging on the street. I'm not sure that would help anything.

Quoting lga1965:

Raise taxes and cut defense spending ( no more funding of unnecessary wars)and freeze salaries of congress, all Washington politicians.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
furbabymum
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Yes. Sequestration has already caused furlough in many of the military members I know.

A lot of enlisted military are poor and uneducated from bad homes. That is why they join the military, to escape and better themselves.

Quoting lga1965:

Are you sure ?

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting lga1965:

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting D.O.E.:

The point is education. Discussions and learning that can help motivate us to get more involved and give us the knowledge to start a discussion in those other forums.

I don't see what most of us do here as just bitching. Sure, we bitch, venting helps clear our minds and relax but it's not primary-again for most. Social networking can help change the world, it already has.

I know some of these ladies are more involved than just here and I do what I can. Hopefully we can encourage and inspire more people to get involved. That's something this country desperately needs.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

eema.gray
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Yes. Because it is already happening. The shiny new projects, ammo, new tech for soldiers of the future, all of that continues to receive funding. But perfectly competent soldiers whose only fault was inability to make rank fast enough (you don't get promoted, generally, unless there are positions available in the next rank up) are being refused reenlistment.

Quoting lga1965:

Are you sure ?

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting lga1965:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Well then there is always the GI bill and the option to use talents or education they had before going in to the military. Life goes on.

Quoting eema.gray:

Yes. Because it is already happening. The shiny new projects, ammo, new tech for soldiers of the future, all of that continues to receive funding. But perfectly competent soldiers whose only fault was inability to make rank fast enough (you don't get promoted, generally, unless there are positions available in the next rank up) are being refused reenlistment.

Quoting lga1965:

Are you sure ?

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting lga1965:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Redwall
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd like to see the budget balanced.  The US is bankrupt.  We simply cannot continue to spend money we don't have.  Big cuts, yup.  Will we like them?  Nope.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured