Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

No wonder we are in this mess with people like her.......

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:35 AM
  • 30 Replies

Rep. Maxine Waters Inflates Sequester to '170 Million' Jobs Lost

Print ArticleSend a Tip

Congresswoman Maxine Waters (D-CA) had a dire prediction for America about sequestration, claiming that 170 million jobs would be lost as a result of the across-the-board cuts. But according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are only about 140 million jobs in the whole country.

During a press conference on February 28, Waters told reporters of a visit by Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke who told members of congress that sequestration is not the optimal way to cut the federal budget.

Talking of Bernanke's comments, Waters claimed that "if sequestration takes place, that’s going to be a great setback. We don’t need to be having something like sequestration that’s going to cause these jobs losses, over 170 million jobs that could be lost."

However, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Table A-9, Selected Employment Indicators, in January of 2013 there were 141,614 million jobs in the current American economy.

Using Waters' math, the US would lose about 30 million more jobs than it had to start with.

Yesterday we did have Mr. Bernanke in our committee and he came to tell us what he’s doing with quantitative easing and that is trying to stimulate the economy with the bond purchases that he’s been doing because he’s trying to keep the interest rates low and create jobs--and he said that if sequestration takes place, that’s going to be a great setback. We don’t need to be having something like sequestration that’s going to cause these jobs losses, over 170 million jobs that could be lost--and so he made it very clear he’s not opposed to cuts but cuts must be done over a long period of time and in a very planned way rather than this blunt cutting that will be done by sequestration.

As you know in this committee we have all of HUD and HUD is responsible for so many programs that determine the quality of life for women and families. CBDG, a form of grant programs will be cut by $153 million dollars. These are grants to cities that help with women and children and low-income programs.

We also will cut the Home Program by $52 million if sequestration takes place, Native American Housing grants by $34 million, House and Choice grants $113 million, Public Housing--mostly single women in Public Housing--another $304 million, and homelessness, everybody claims to be concerned about homelessness and the growing number of women and children who are out their homeless but look they will take a $99 million dollar hit and on and on and on.

And so, we are here today, one more time, talking about women and children and families and how we can protect our women, children, and families and have a decent quality of life--sequestration will set us back. All of the gains that we have made will be lost with sequestration.

- See more at: http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/02/28/Rep-Maxine-Waters-Inflates-Sequester-to-170-Million-Jobs-Lost#sthash.qT3fQoqP.dpuf

by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:37 AM

lol

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:39 AM
2 moms liked this
Yet some here will go to their graves swearing Dems do not engage In the exact same fear mongering Repubs do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krysstizzle
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:45 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm always surprised people are still surprised (or find it newsworthy) that politicians of all ilks are full of shit. I just assume that's the case.

pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:47 AM

"Most folks think of just the 50 states when they think of the country. Congresswoman Waters is probably including all of Obama's 58 states in her analysis."

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Nobody said they are surprised.

Quoting krysstizzle:

I'm always surprised people are still surprised (or find it newsworthy) that politicians of all ilks are full of shit. I just assume that's the case.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:48 AM
2 moms liked this

Nah....I just surprised that some of you vote these types of people into office over and over.....

Quoting krysstizzle:

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't trust any of these idiots that are getting paid their untouched salaries to give one single shit about the rest of us. We're all caught in the middle of a dangerous pissing contest.

krysstizzle
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:52 AM

*or find it newsworthy*

Democrat and Republican are simply two sides of the same coin, particularly at the federal level. 

I'd like to see only the good things actually accomplished by politicians covered. That would cut way back on the news cycle, and perhaps journalists would attempt to be journalists again in order to fill time. That's my pie in the sky dream for news. 

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Nobody said they are surprised.

Quoting krysstizzle:

krysstizzle
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM
4 moms liked this

And I'm surprised anyone thinks there's an actual difference between voting for either a republican or a democrat, given they're essentially the same: lying, game playing power seekers with their pockets lined by various interests. 

And I didn't vote for her, I don't live in California. 

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Nah....I just surprised that some of you vote these types of people into office over and over.....

Quoting krysstizzle:

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:59 AM
2 moms liked this

OK, she misspoke ... so what.

I mean is that any funnier when for over two weeks now, hearing from the GOP. Sequester is Obama's idea. But, who has been the major champions of the notion of "budget cuts" .... Obama or the GOP? hmm let me think, That's right the GOP.

Now, here is what we are hearing from the GOP; "The Sequester isn't really a cut." "We need to cut more from the budget." "Still, if the sequester's cuts are bad, blame Obama."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN