Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should We Be Eating More ‘Expired’ Foods? A Former Trader Joe’s Exec. Thinks So

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:27 PM
  • 28 Replies

Would a store that sells foods past their sell-by date help address food insecurity and waste?
Millions of pounds of uneaten food gets thrown away each year in America. A new food shop in Boston plans to use edible but unsellable foods to make meals in a low-income community. (Photo: Peter Dazeley/Getty Images)

You know that “sell-by” date on your carton of milk or eggs? Removed—at least at one store about to open in Boston. Former Trader Joe’s president Doug Rauch announced that he is behind the new effort, which will set up shop in a low-income section of the city to sell low-cost food and meals made predominately from still-edible ingredients that have passed their sell-by dates.

It’s a solution, Rauch says, to two major problems plaguing our nation: food waste and food insecurity stemming from a lack of proper nutrition in many low-income neighborhoods.

“The number one leading problem is affordable nutrition,” Rauch told The Boston Globe. “For the 50 million Americans who are food insecure, their solution is not a full stomach. It’s a healthy meal.”

He’s right, of course: one in six Americans, including one in four children, do not know where their next meal is coming from. But while many Americans remain hungry, an unacceptable amount of our food—almost half—gets thrown out. According to data from the USDA and Economic Research Service, U.S. food retailers discarded more than $166 billion worth of food in 2008 because it had “expired.”

Rauch sees solutions to these two issues converging in the nonprofit food store. Customers will be able to purchase “expired” ingredients like milk for a fraction of their retail price, as well as healthy meals made from donated food. He says the shop—which will be located at a community health center in Dorchester, a low-income neighborhood widely considered a “food desert”—will serve as a pilot for his Urban Food Initiative, and he hopes the model will spread to other cities.

But the idea is not without its critics. For one, there seems to be an initial “ew factor” to overcome for some residents, who dislike the idea of eating someone else’s “leftovers”—a situtaion that may appear even less palatable when it seems like a low-income area is getting everyone else’s castoffs. 

“We don’t want it,” hairstylist Kiki Carter told The Globe. “Why would we?”

Some also think the discount food shop, which will receive donations from supermarkets and other retailers, may compete for resources with area food banks. Staff at the Food Bank of Western Massachusetts say that the presence of several stores in the area that sell “expired” food—like The Barn Grocery in Greenfield and various dollar stores—affects its corporate food donations.

“The donation pool that we’re soliciting from is the same pool that they’re soliciting from, and many times [discount food shops] actually purchase the food,” Gibbons, communications and marketing manager at the food bank, tells TakePart. “It’s a changing aspect of the food banking industry that we’ll need to address.”

At the same time, Gibbons is quick to add that while it might complicate the food bank’s procurement strategy, The Barn Grocery has shown itself to be successful in providing healthy, affordable food to low-income people.

Jonathan Bloom, a journalist who focuses on food waste, says that while he understands community concerns about being sold “unwanted food” and the issue of competing with food banks, he still supports the Urban Food Initiative and says it’s a positive step forward in addressing both waste and hunger.

“We’re talking about good, nutritious food victimized by the inanity of expiration dates, in particular ‘sell-by’ dates,” says Bloom, creator of WastedFood.com and author of American Wasteland. “I would feed that food to my family.”

What do you think of Doug Rauchs idea?

Neon Washable Paint

by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Do you think he should be selling these meals/foods?

Former Trader Joe’s president Doug Rauch announced that he is behind the new effort, which will set up shop in a low-income section of the city to sell low-cost food and meals made predominately from still-edible ingredients that have passed their sell-by dates.

NananRaysmom
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:19 PM
Sure...if there are people hungry enough to eat it. Beggars can't be choosers. I know I throw away so much food every week...I won't go one day over the exporation date.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I hate that stores toss bananas the second they show a little brown, or tomatoes when they get a tiny bit smooshy... Just because fruits and veggies don't look like perfect prett pictures doesn't mean they are bad to eat!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I hate that stores toss bananas the second they show a little brown, or tomatoes when they get a tiny bit smooshy... Just because fruits and veggies don't look like perfect prett pictures doesn't mean they are bad to eat!

This. There are a lot of weird laws like you can't sell fruit if it's touched the ground although it can be perfectly good to eat. 

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Bananas are actually better for you when they show the brown, and it makes me crazy when I see the amount of waste by- yes!!- the stupid bureaucractic sell-by-date. The food is usually still just fine at that point. Stupid. We are stupid and easily made afraid of everything.

acrogodess
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I think if people are hungry enough they will eat it. I accidentally picked up a bottle of BBQ sauce and it ended up being expired by a few months. It smelled fine so i tasted a bit and it tasted fine. We ate it that night. If the smell and taste is not affected the product is fine. Most sell by dates just mean that is the optimum window to eat an item. It isn't necessarily an expiration date.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Good.   People get fed.

Prissy people need to get off their high horse or spend a hell of a lot more feeding the poor.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Many stores throw the food out Before the sell by date. In this case I think it is a great idea.

I'm unsure of the safety of selling food past the sell date due to poor quality and it going bad before it can be sold.

I see tons of fruits and veggies tossed out at the superstore I work at, especially bruised fruit.  Every time I pass it sitting next to the "hole in the wall trash receptacle" I think about people that are hungry and would take that food in a heartbeat.

It's sickening the amount of perfectly good food thrown out.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting acrogodess:

I think if people are hungry enough they will eat it. I accidentally picked up a bottle of BBQ sauce and it ended up being expired by a few months. It smelled fine so i tasted a bit and it tasted fine. We ate it that night. If the smell and taste is not affected the product is fine. Most sell by dates just mean that is the optimum window to eat an item. It isn't necessarily an expiration date.

Exactly!

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I know that the date on food often has nothing at all to do with its safety or nutrition level.

You can have absolutely fresh food spoil, and very old food be completely edible.

The problem is how few people have any idea at all how to tell the difference ... partly as a result of two generations of relying on 'best before' dates instead of knowledge.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN