Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I pay my son to brush his teeth Edit in black

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:58 PM
  • 174 Replies
1 mom liked this

Brushing teeth, changing clothes, showering, making healthy choices, doing chores, all of these were battles that me and ds fought on a daily basis.

I'm stressed out, he's stressed out, I don't know what to do. The a light bulb went off!lightbulbHe loves money. *Think Mr Crabs* So we started giving him a point on a chart every time he does the above. Each point is worth 2 cents. Like magic my son is now changing his underwear without being asked and brushing this teeth twice a day. It is sooo worth the 10 cents a day,lol.

Forgot to add something important. My son is 8 and has SPD Sensory Processing Disorder. He finds a lot of things we don't notice VERY uncomfortable. The feel of a tooth brush in his mouth, new washed clothes on his body, the textures of many, many foods, and so many other things. Money is something he enjoys so it helps motivate him to do things he finds unpleasant.

by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM
How sad a life that is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:05 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't think so. I was just sharing a triumph :-)

Quoting talia-mom:

How sad a life that is.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

ambcortez
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Changing underwear after or without taking a bath? 

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Huh?

Quoting ambcortez:

Changing underwear after or without taking a bath? 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:06 PM
2 moms liked this

Well, it is now.  But later, you don't want him agreeing to shovel the walk only if you buy him an iPad.  Or emptying the dishwasher only if you take him to the store for his latest video game. 

We all work here because we all live here.  So while that's a great way to get him going, give some thought to your end game. 

PEEK05
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Not something I would do but glad it's working for you. :)

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:09 PM
My kids change their underwear and brush teeth without being paid. I find that sad. He is going to play that into so much more later.

Quoting paganbaby:

I don't think so. I was just sharing a triumph :-)

Quoting talia-mom:

How sad a life that is.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:10 PM
2 moms liked this

meh...its not a battle when you are consistant. IMO washing hands after the toilet, brushing teeth, showering and changing clothes..gets done once you do so yourself and ensure they do it, every time it is needed.

Kids do what the parents do.

My kids do chores when I tell them to...the consequences of not doing them when asked is too high for them :-) Fortunately for them...its only once a week or a small chore daily. They get money for extra jobs such as cleaning the car or cleaning out the kitchen cupboards.

I dont give money for something I expect of them.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I am sorry if I am wrong but is this the child with problems?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:11 PM
13 moms liked this

What a sad, small-minded, judgemental person you are. We all have different parenting styles. I dont even want to know how YOU parent since you seem to be a very mean controlling person. ( You replies are evidence of that)

Quoting talia-mom:

How sad a life that is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)