Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Obama taps Walmart Foundation head as budget chief

Posted by   + Show Post

Obama taps Walmart Foundation head as budget chief

Adam Crowley / PR Newswire via Newscom

Sylvia Mathews Burwell.

President Barack Obama will nominate Walmart Foundation head Sylvia Mathews Burwell to direct the Office of Management and Budget, a senior administration official confirmed to NBC News on Sunday.

Burwell, 47, runs Walmart’s philanthropic arm and served as the deputy director of the OMB during the Clinton administration and chief of staff to former Treasury Secretary Robert Rubin. If confirmed by the Senate, she would take on one of the most important jobs in the administration during the middle of an intense budget battle
between the White House and Republicans in Congress.

“Burwell has a proven record as a thoughtful problem solver who builds consensus to get things done,” according to a White House official. She has a “deep knowledge of budget and economic issues along with her record of fighting for working Americans make her the perfect choice to lead the OMB at this important time.”

The official stressed Burwell’s history as a bipartisan problem solver who helped craft the budget surpluses seen in the 1990s.

Before joining the Walmart Foundation, Burwell was president of the Global Development Program at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. When she left to join the retail giant in 2012, she also led Walmart's Women's Economic Empowerment Initiative.

Burwell’s appointment will also help bring diversity to the president’s cabinet, which was criticized earlier this year after Obama appointed a series of white males to top positions. She would be only the second woman to hold the position, according
to the Washington Post.

Walmart president Mike Duke said in a statement that Burell “understands business and the role that business, government and civil society must play to build a strong economy that provides opportunity and strengthens communities across the country.”

Obama will announce the nomination on Monday. Burrell would replace acting OMB director Jeffrey Zients.

Neon Washable Paint

by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Replies (11-19):
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this
NWP, you're right.

Still, it had been more then just Bill Clinton and Hilary Clinton (once served on Walmart's board) Walmart has had a whole host of people put into high position that came because of the Democrats.

No, it doesn't mean Walmart is a large progressive company, they give mighty to conservative causes. The reason Walmart hires Democrats is for political payoffs. After all, isn't it a bit hard to be critical of a company that gives you or your friends a good (great) pay check. Really, it's more of a "keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.

Politically speaking, it is a smart move on Walmart's part. DNC hasn't been critical of Walmart; when in reality, Walmart is a picture prefect example of what's wrong in this country from the left prospective.

Quoting NWP:

WalMart and Bill Clinton have a relationship that goes back to when he was governor of the state of Arkansas. Both were big power players there and it makes sense they have a connection and a history.

That said, there is still a HUGE fiscal conservatism that drives that company and influences the state of Arkansas and is one of the reasons that state continues to get redder.

Also one of the reasons the state never financially got in the red during the recession, one of the few that did not. Between Wal-Mart, Tyson, JB Hunt, the Dillard family and others, this state is chock full of privately owned corporate wealth.

Quoting Donna6503:

Actually, Walmart leaderships and the Democrats have had many poeple share position in both the company and party. This isn't the first time, nor the last, where a Walmart official has gone on to work for a democratic administration. Or the reverse, where an administrator has gone on to work for Walmart.

It is no big deal.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Yep...A smart corporation gives heavily to both parties. The left should not delude themselves of their own ties to our global corporatocracy and wealth distribution practices. Wal-Mart is a great example of this.

Quoting Donna6503:

NWP, you're right.

Still, it had been more then just Bill Clinton and Hilary Clinton (once served on Walmart's board) Walmart has had a whole host of people put into high position that came because of the Democrats.

No, it doesn't mean Walmart is a large progressive company, they give mighty to conservative causes. The reason Walmart hires Democrats is for political payoffs. After all, isn't it a bit hard to be critical of a company that gives you or your friends a good (great) pay check. Really, it's more of a "keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.

Politically speaking, it is a smart move on Walmart's part. DNC hasn't been critical of Walmart; when in reality, Walmart is a picture prefect example of what's wrong in this country from the left prospective.

Quoting NWP:

WalMart and Bill Clinton have a relationship that goes back to when he was governor of the state of Arkansas. Both were big power players there and it makes sense they have a connection and a history.

That said, there is still a HUGE fiscal conservatism that drives that company and influences the state of Arkansas and is one of the reasons that state continues to get redder.

Also one of the reasons the state never financially got in the red during the recession, one of the few that did not. Between Wal-Mart, Tyson, JB Hunt, the Dillard family and others, this state is chock full of privately owned corporate wealth.

Quoting Donna6503:

Actually, Walmart leaderships and the Democrats have had many poeple share position in both the company and party. This isn't the first time, nor the last, where a Walmart official has gone on to work for a democratic administration. Or the reverse, where an administrator has gone on to work for Walmart.

It is no big deal.

Neon Washable Paint

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

That reminds me.. I need to go to Walmart today.

survivorinohio
by René on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Ya , I guess I agree but my first thought was what the hell lol.

Quoting NWP:

I could go on about my hate/love (inverted phrase intentional) relationship with WalMart...but I have already done that in a previous post.

Even evil monsters can give back sometimes. To his credit, she was the head of the philanthropic arm, which actually does a lot of wonderful things....despite the evil heart of the machine.

Quoting soonergirl980:

I thought wal-mart and everything associated with Wal-Mart was evil why would he do this?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:13 AM

It makes sense in the fact that Wal-Mart was connected to the Clinton era due to the shared history of these two, and the fact that Obama has pulled from much of the Clinton pool.

It can make you feel better to know that this is the philanthropic branch of the Walton foundation and works independently from the business corp, even if that is where they get their funds.

DH had his PhD paid for by this very foundation, and they supported my family for four years through the fellowship he earned. So I have a connection as well.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Ya , I guess I agree but my first thought was what the hell lol.

Quoting NWP:

I could go on about my hate/love (inverted phrase intentional) relationship with WalMart...but I have already done that in a previous post.

Even evil monsters can give back sometimes. To his credit, she was the head of the philanthropic arm, which actually does a lot of wonderful things....despite the evil heart of the machine.

Quoting soonergirl980:

I thought wal-mart and everything associated with Wal-Mart was evil why would he do this?

Neon Washable Paint

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Just...ugh. 

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL...

I do justify my occasional trips there by saying to myself that I am supporting the local business of my home town area, which tecnically I am. Bhahahaaaa!

Quoting Euphoric:

That reminds me.. I need to go to Walmart today.

Neon Washable Paint

StarburstKisses
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Quoting soonergirl980:

From what I know about Walmart it practically is. They're horrible to their employees, pay isn't that great. They come into a new area and market all their prices lower than any place in the area to drive out mom and pop shops, etc. Then after they've established there at least a few years, and took the business from those shops, etc. then they jack all their prices up. Smart move, however ruins some places. They like to say that when you bring a Walmart in you bring tons of jobs. Well, they don't tell you benefits - if you get them - blow. They don't let you do a lot of things, and forget having to take time off to take care of your kid, doctors visits, etc. If your managaer doesn't want you taking your scheduled day to work to go to the doctor, etc. they can call you in as a no call no show and other bullshit like that. I've heard of WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY TOOOOOOO MANNNNNNYYYYY stories where things like this have happened. It's their way of the high way. IMO, Obama doing this and putting them in charge of the budget, etc. speaks more volumes about him, the way he thinks, etc. It's poor.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this

IMO WalMart represents a lot of what is wrong with our economic system. That said, they give MILLIONS every year to charity through this foundation. Remember during the election when folks defended Romney's wealth by stating that he "gives back" so much? This is what they mean by that, only the Waltons are waaaaaaay more wealthy than Romney.

This woman runs that philanthropic branch, not the corporate business end. She is in charge of the part of this Uber-Rich corporate family that "gives back" to society. It works mostly independently from the corporate branch even if that is where the money comes from.

I get both sides of this argument, really.

But hey, I believe we are truly under the rule of a corporatocracy and that all of our gov't officials from the white house, to the legislative branches, to the SCOTUS are bought and paid for by the real rulers. My tin hat theory for the night.

Quoting StarburstKisses:

Quoting soonergirl980:

From what I know about Walmart it practically is. They're horrible to their employees, pay isn't that great. They come into a new area and market all their prices lower than any place in the area to drive out mom and pop shops, etc. Then after they've established there at least a few years, and took the business from those shops, etc. then they jack all their prices up. Smart move, however ruins some places. They like to say that when you bring a Walmart in you bring tons of jobs. Well, they don't tell you benefits - if you get them - blow. They don't let you do a lot of things, and forget having to take time off to take care of your kid, doctors visits, etc. If your managaer doesn't want you taking your scheduled day to work to go to the doctor, etc. they can call you in as a no call no show and other bullshit like that. I've heard of WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY TOOOOOOO MANNNNNNYYYYY stories where things like this have happened. It's their way of the high way. IMO, Obama doing this and putting them in charge of the budget, etc. speaks more volumes about him, the way he thinks, etc. It's poor.

Neon Washable Paint

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN