Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Irish Heritage Month

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Jes
  • 26 Replies
It's March which means its Irish Heritage Month! :-)

Irish-American Heritage Month is a special proclamation issued yearly by the United States President or Congress to honor the achievements and contributions of Irish immigrants and their descendants living in the United States. The heritage month is in March to coincide with the Irish national holiday on March 17, Saint Patrick's Day. Heritage Months are proclaimed to celebrate centuries of contributions by a group to a country.

Each year in March, the Irish Taoiseach visits the United States for Saint Patrick's Day. A Shamrock Ceremony takes place in the morning at the White House where a crystal bowl containing shamrock, a traditional symbol of Ireland, is presented to the President in the Oval Office. This is followed by a Friends of Ireland luncheon hosted by the House Speaker in the U.S. Capitol or the Rayburn House Office Building. The luncheon is attended by the President, Vice President, the Taoiseach, the Speaker, and other officials. In the evening, a Saint Patrick's Day Reception takes place at the White House.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:49 AM

They don't so a Welsh heritage month..I need to sue!

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Woooo hoooo! Go Irish:)

My grandparents were both from Ireland and my son and I have inherited the red hair and fair skin.  Unfortunately, we have strawberry blond hair instead of really red hair. I was hoping that one of my kids would get really red hair. We are a dying breed.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Interesting :)

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Well happy belated St. David's Day!

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Yes we are.

My hair was strawberry blonde as a child but it has darkened as I got older and is now more of an Auburn. My kids have blonde hair with red tints and fair skin and freckles but you can see the "Irish" fading away generation by generation...

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

My grandparents were both from Ireland and my son and I have inherited the red hair and fair skin.  Unfortunately, we have strawberry blond hair instead of really red hair. I was hoping that one of my kids would get really red hair. We are a dying breed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:54 AM
So I looked it up and apparently they are tryin to make April a "Scottish-Welsh-American Heritage Month"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:08 AM
3 moms liked this

In honor of Irish Heritage Month here is my Irish Baby!

He's almost all blond now:(

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Yes we are.

My hair was strawberry blonde as a child but it has darkened as I got older and is now more of an Auburn. My kids have blonde hair with red tints and fair skin and freckles but you can see the "Irish" fading away generation by generation...

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

redbutterfly666
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Yay I have an excuse to wear my green shirt and corset before the renaissance fair XD
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:12 AM
2 moms liked this

My oldest DD at IrishFest last weekend :-)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tambrathegreat
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:18 AM

That's because the Welsh never rose up against the English.  They are British.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN